Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

new computer (computer recommendations ctnd)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chngwnhn
    woah, stay AWAY from the 6800 GTs, just buy the standard 6800 or 6800 ULTRA, better, dont forget the hard drive a standard 7200 rpm with 8mb cache and SATA 2 i good also comes good with low latecy 1 gig 400mhz corsair(corsair best, as recommend by Tom's Hardware Guide)Asus mobo is ****, sorry but no offence, Asus make good quality products...... for a price. AND WHAT THE HELL are you buying such a GOOD(Goof) soundcard it does nothing but give you goo sound quality and LOWERED FPS.
    yes lowered for like 1 to 5 fps or more, overall, good choice in the processer, dont forget to overclock it, and the GFX
    no.

With the PCI-Express standards as it stands most 6800 GT's are the NVIDIA cards of choice as the 6800 NUs in PCI-Express are hardlocked from their extra 4 pixel pipelines and single vertex shader. The 6800 GT already comes with all pixel pipelines and vertex shaders unlocked, and with PCI-Express voltage and the PCI-Express auxiliary connector most can easily hit or surpass Ultra (400/1000 I believe; might be 1100) speeds. Most overclocked 6800 GT's will perform better than Ultras as well due to their tighter timings, and the GT also has benefit of a single-slot cooler and less heat production. No reason to spend $50-100 more on an Ultra for similar performance or $50-100 less for nuked performance.

Sounds cards are better than integrated sound solutions or emulated sound because they do not siphon precious CPU cycles and crunch sound info on their own. In the end a system with a good soundcard will usually get better FPS than a system with the same exact specifications except using onboard emulated audio (Realtek AC'97, for example).

Comment

Originally posted by pbze
      wow 4ms, but i bet it's still unplayable because of the ghosting :down: :weird:
      Sometimes it's just impossible to get rid of a bad stigma.

"Oh, my AMD K6 chip crashed once 12 years ago, so all AMD chips are ****."
      "Wah, 8 years ago I had trouble with ATI drivers, so all ATI cards are ****."

I wonder how long it will be before the misconception that all LCDs 'ghost' is a thing of the past? Many do...cheap models do...the models that you'll buy at your local Best Buy do...but not all do. Not anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by senshu

I wonder how long it will be before the misconception that all LCDs 'ghost' is a thing of the past? Many do...cheap models do...the models that you'll buy at your local Best Buy do...but not all do. Not anymore.
        I wish they'd stop saying Asus is godlike. I found one Asus motherboard on Tigerdirect.ca with lots of negative comments.

Still, it makes making choices more difficult. You have to search the Internet for every single component for problems before you buy. Sheesh, you might save money building a computer but it costs in time all the research that you do.

Comment

wow 4ms, but i bet it's still unplayable because of the ghosting :down: :weird:
          I see you don't know what GTG means. Gray-to-gray. There are only two LCD's I know of that use GTG technology, one being a 6ms BenQ and this 4ms Viewsonic. All other LCD's use BTW (black-to-white) response times, and in reality, when are you going to have the screen switching rapidly from black to white? GTG is MUCH better for games. Here is a review of the monitor:
          http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles...?cid=1&id=1529

Comment

Originally posted by ll0rt
            I see you don't know what GTG means. Gray-to-gray. There are only two LCD's I know of that use GTG technology, one being a 6ms BenQ and this 4ms Viewsonic. All other LCD's use BTW (black-to-white) response times, and in reality, when are you going to have the screen switching rapidly from black to white? GTG is MUCH better for games. Here is a review of the monitor:
            http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles...?cid=1&id=1529

you don't seem to know what GTG means either.

GTG is NOT a technology - it's a measurement. GTG is the time a pixel takes to switch from gray to white and then gray again (or something like that), where as black-to-white measures the time to go from black to white (and back again, i think)...

black-to-white measurements are a lot longer because the pixel has to cycle through more colors, therefore the pixel takes longer to refresh. gray-to-gray measurements are faster... but in actuality, the gtg measurement is just another scam to lure customers into buying products - for example: if you buy a 4ms gtg panel you may be dissapointed, because it's got the same response time as an 8ms btw panel...

Comment

Originally posted by bemymonkey
              GTG is NOT a technology - it's a measurement. GTG is the time a pixel takes to switch from gray to white and then gray again (or something like that)
              the gtg measurement is just another scam to lure customers into buying products
              No, GTG time is the time it takes to switch from any gray shade to any other gray shade. It is a useful metric if it is given as an average for all shades.

Comment

Originally posted by NakedApe
                No, GTG time is the time it takes to switch from any gray shade to any other gray shade. It is a useful metric if it is given as an average for all shades.
                why disagree with me if you're going to say the exact same thing i said?

Comment

why disagree with me if you're going to say the exact same thing i said?
                  Because I didn't. You said that GTG is gray-to-white-to-gray. I said that it is gray-to-another-shade-of-gray.

Comment

I hope this debate isn't on my behalf

Comment

I hope this debate isn't on my behalf
                      Not at all, I'm just bored and in a nitpicking mood.

Comment

actually, the "or something like that" in my statement makes it more like "something to do with gray and gray instead of black and white"... and the main point was: gray & gray is faster.

read between the lines, don't take everything i say literally, and pretend you're talking to a three-year-old. then you'll see that you were saying exactly the same thing as me ...

as you can see, i'm not really in a nitpicking mood at all

-edit- by the way, are there specific values of gray for the measurement? so that all manufacturers use the same start and end-gray-levels for their testing?

Comment

by the way, are there specific values of gray for the measurement? so that all manufacturers use the same start and end-gray-levels for their testing?
                          Not to my knowledge, that's the problem. What manufacturers should do is test all possible transitions and present the average time. Most prefer to present the fastest time, go figure...

Comment

That sucks.

Oh well, I'm sticking with CRT for another while anyway... Getting two samsung syncmaster 997df this october... 1600x1200... and TWO of them

Comment

Originally posted by NakedApe
                              Because I didn't. You said that GTG is gray-to-white-to-gray. I said that it is gray-to-another-shade-of-gray.
                              Gee, for a minute there, I thought you were saying something gay.

Comment

yo suttonator TRY this SET yep have to be a set if your going to do sound enginnering, BEST:up: .

here: http://www.shopzilla.com/12--Creativ...d_id--11183113

Comment

Working...
                                X