Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

new computer (computer recommendations ctnd)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new computer (computer recommendations ctnd)

Hi, Im considering getting a new computer from www.computerlounge.co.nz the current specs I have in mind are:

BFG Geforce 6800 GT 256MB http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/comp...sp?partid=1761
    Athlon 64 3500+
    Abit AN8 Athlon 64/64FX Processor Nvdia NF4(CK8-04)
    Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 6.1

the motherboard im not too sure on, but i think it will be ok.
    my main problem is the monitor. It seems I can only get LCD from that website (and I want to get everything from one site)..but I dont know which to get. the BFGGeforce only comes with DVI connections (2 of them) so does this mean i have to get a DVI monitor, because the only one that seems to have DVI is an expensive sony 19".
    http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/comp...sp?partid=1356
    this also is stated to be made for corporations (etc) and doesnt seem to be suitable for the home user/gamer.

opinions? Is there a monitor Iv overlooked?

should I get this graphics card instead?
    http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/comp...sp?partid=1759 (which means Ill have to get a different motherboard.

sorry if this is a long newbie-esque post. but thanks for any help you can give

new egg *** DVI 19'' Monitors

look through there.

now for the video card, the first one should be fine. even though they are almost the same.

Comment

LCD is horrible for gaming.

Comment

whats so horrible about it?
        as long as it has 60hz refresh rate, it would be fine i think.

Comment

lcd is no good for gaming unless you get one with 12ms or 8ms response time. stay the hell away from those sony's.

I've had a samsung syncmaster 172x for a while now (supposedly the best gaming lcd available at the time i bought it, about 4 months ago) and it still sucks when compared to crt... that's why I'm running dual monitors, so that i've got a crt to game on and the lcd for other stuff...

the reason crt's are better for gaming is mainly because their response time is nearly 0 (when compared to lcd's at least), and so, show no ghosting whatsoever. not to mention there's no risk of dead pixels, which are really fricken annoying.

Comment

woah, stay AWAY from the 6800 GTs, just buy the standard 6800 or 6800 ULTRA, better, dont forget the hard drive a standard 7200 rpm with 8mb cache and SATA 2 i good also comes good with low latecy 1 gig 400mhz corsair(corsair best, as recommend by Tom's Hardware Guide)Asus mobo is ****, sorry but no offence, Asus make good quality products...... for a price. AND WHAT THE HELL are you buying such a GOOD(Goof) soundcard it does nothing but give you goo sound quality and LOWERED FPS.
            yes lowered for like 1 to 5 fps or more, overall, good choice in the processer, dont forget to overclock it, and the GFX

Comment

Originally posted by rockcrusher181
              lcd is bad for games
              wrong

Originally posted by k|Tex
              LCD is horrible for gaming.
              wrong

Originally posted by bemymonkey
              lcd is no good for gaming unless you get one with 12ms or 8ms response time. stay the hell away from those sony's.
              and wrong

I've got a 17", 16ms LCD (LG) and it's perfect for gaming, none of this mythical ghosting I was warned of SO many times before I got it. You guys should stop scare mongering, LCD's are great, very practical, maybe not perfect for games but they're certainly not "horrible" or "bad". I certainly prefare them to my old aging CRT. And about the 60Hz refresh rate on LCDs, it doesn't work like CRTs, 60Hz is a good mode for LCDs to run at

Comment

60 refresh hurts your eyes in twitch FPSes like UT/Q3...and it's just not as easy to play with.

Comment

Originally posted by pbze
                  wrong

wrong

and wrong

I've got a 17", 16ms LCD (LG) and it's perfect for gaming, none of this mythical ghosting I was warned of SO many times before I got it. You guys should stop scare mongering, LCD's are great, very practical, maybe not perfect for games but they're certainly not "horrible" or "bad". I certainly prefare them to my old aging CRT. And about the 60Hz refresh rate on LCDs, it doesn't work like CRTs, 60Hz is a good mode for LCDs to run at
                  I've played games on MANY LCD's. Not one of them was ghosting-free, and believe me, they came far more highly recommended than the 16ms philips/lg panel you're using. As a matter of fact, my dad has a philips lcd that uses the exact same tft panel as the 16ms lg... i can DEFINITELY see ghosting on that, even moving a window around on the windows desktop.

In UT2k4 it's most apparent - but if you have no basis for comparison, like a decent CRT, you WON'T be able to tell the difference. I do know, though, that I play marginally worse on an LCD... tried it VERY often, mainly at lans (since they're so much easier to carry ).

I REALLY believe that most LCDs show ghosting, simply because I've experienced it myself. I haven't had a chance to try any of the new 8ms panels yet, but supposedly there's still noticable ghosting - it's just been lessened to an amount that doesn't affect gameplay any more.

Admittedly, LCD's have their advantages (less desktop space, crisper image, better brightness (usually), less power consumption)... but for gamers, CRT's still the way to go.

Comment

Okay, no, you don't need a DVI monitor. There should be DVI to VGA converters in the package. LCD's... I've never owned one, nor have I toyed with one.

Comment

Originally posted by SpinE
                      supposedly I could wait till august before buying a new computer but then im off to college so I will need to but it then...is it worth waiting till august....cuz most people say something like november...and aobut new technologie...isnt it always like that? if I would buy a new computer in november/december wont there be better techs again in june/juli the next year? or is it something really revolutionair which will make a new computer which I will buy now or in August really useless?

and as for the lcd...boooo for lcd...long live crt
                      I agree with people who say: "Isn't it always like that?"

In this case however, it's not quite the same. Since dual core processors are coming out, I already pointed out in another thread that for AMD chips, you only have to make sure you have a socket 939 motherboard. Even if you buy the cheapest 939 AMD chip, that would still be OK because you have to update your BIOS if you want to use a dual core processor anyway.

If you buy now, get socket 939 with PCI-Express.

Comment

Originally posted by SpinE
                        supposedly I could wait till august before buying a new computer but then im off to college so I will need to but it then...is it worth waiting till august....cuz most people say something like november...and aobut new technologie...isnt it always like that? if I would buy a new computer in november/december wont there be better techs again in june/juli the next year? or is it something really revolutionair which will make a new computer which I will buy now or in August really useless?
                        My situations kinda similar to yours. Im starting tertiary in october (working till then , so im planning out my new computer now, with all/a few of the latest tech (most $$) products at the moment. With any luck the next gen products will come out by october, and ill be left with quite a nice price drop.

ok, so its crt all the way, not lcd. I remember that from a while back when i was more into this whole pc gaming thing.

chngwnhn - why not the 6800GT? whats this about hdds? Got a link to the tomshardware article? And im buying a good soundcard for recording, Im going into audio engineering so it will help in that respect.

Whats a normal life for a crt? I have a sony Triniton 17" from the remains of my old computer. Im not 100% sure it was a sony, it said ADI on it...no mention of sony. It has something wrong with it, changing the hue of the screen now and then. Probaly the cable...

Comment

If you get a LCD, I suggest this one:
                          http://www.viewsonic.com/products/de...xseries/vx924/
                          It has a 4ms GTG response time, and it has DVI.

Comment

Originally posted by bemymonkey
                            I've played games on MANY LCD's. Not one of them was ghosting-free, and believe me, they came far more highly recommended than the 16ms philips/lg panel you're using.
                            In general, this is true. But all generalizations are false, including this one.

There ARE good LCDs that are great for gaming. A high price alone does not guarantee this, though any that are decent for gaming will have a high price tag. Is it worth it vs. a cheaper CRT? Probably not.

Comment

Originally posted by ll0rt
                              If you get a LCD, I suggest this one:
                              http://www.viewsonic.com/products/de...xseries/vx924/
                              It has a 4ms GTG response time, and it has DVI.
                              wow 4ms, but i bet it's still unplayable because of the ghosting :down: :weird:

Comment

Working...
                              X