Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A couple of ideas for ENVY

1.) Interactive environments

Let's say there's a game going on on an enchanced version of "ONS-Torlan". You see a Goliath approaching from a distance. It sees you. You see the cannon fire and remains of the tank shell land on the floor and stay. You qucikly dodge away and the tank creates a small crater in the floor near to you. A goliath tank on your team comes out of the base. The distant goliath hits your goliath and makes a small dent in it.

For Conquest mode:

Another example: A new vehicle could be included to dig holes through particular parts of the terrain as shortcuts. There might be rewards buried randomly underground, such as superweapons or amps.

At the end of a game, a new round starts and all the holes or tunnels in the terrain are still there. There should be a limit to the amount a vehicle could dig into the terrain. At the end of the match, there should be an option to save all the positions of the major tunnels on a map. This way, players could gradually adapt the map to include all sorts of tunnels.

If there was a big tower in the middle of a map, There would be a way to knock it over with the combined force of lots of powerful vehicles and superweapons. Of course, if the change of the map in one round was as significant as this, it probably would'nt be saved.

Also, when vehicles get destroyed, they should stay, or at least get blown up and not just "disappear".

On deathmatch, A particular server could save all the bullet holes in various parts of the level, so gradually levels would get very battered, match after match. If the levels got so battered that it changed the gameplay in a negative way, the server admin could restore the levels to a perfet untouched state.

A good way of saving space of these holes in the levels would be to save data about the positions of these holes rather than the holes themselves.

2.) (For Conquest) More freedom!

It would be great to have part of a conquest in orbit or very high above a level. For example, An objective might require a space ship being sent into orbit to collect an object.

Long post, but hey

:bulb:

Bump 1 of 3

Comment

I don't know if any of that is possible using the new engine, that is one hell of a lot of physics processing you're talking about

Comment

Originally posted by pbze
        I don't know if any of that is possible using the new engine, that is one hell of a lot of physics processing you're talking about
        And alot of $$$ for pc upgrades :bulb:

i dont think all this "eye candy" is really neccesary, and most likely will a hinderance. Epic has made a smart descision choosing gameplay over graphics for envy and I hope they keep it that way.:up:

Comment

Actually quite some engines support that allready. (bout the digging)

Comment

Red Faction did it with geomod, it was **** for multiplayer.

imagine digging up the ground around the tank spanw for example, thats one totally useless vehicle with no way of repairing the ground.

The engine will of course support this, but I hope it's not in the game.

Terrain breaking is a single player thing, too many variables for multiplayer - the competitve community would have none of it

Comment

Originally posted by Zynith
              Actually quite some engines support that allready. (bout the digging)
              ok, but is it needed in an unreal game?

Comment

Originally posted by pbze
                ok, but is it needed in an unreal game?
                no. :down:

i mean, its a neat idea, and i like the possibilities, but you're falling into an old trap.

its the same thing that happened with VoIP. It's a great idea, until you give it to the masses. Suddenly every 13 year old with a mic could irritate the living hell out of everyone. Result? Everyone (or.. most people anyways) has VoIP turned off.

The same with the terrain digging. It's a cool idea, until you let every backwards f-tard use it, then you have rediculous pubs and the only place to get a good game is on private servers that have t-digging disabled, or offline.

no thanks.

Comment

also, you get a good round of rocket spam going on and all thats left of the level in the spawn points, then 50meters of notihng then the bottom of the huge crater that has been blown up. Interactive and destroyable terrain and objects are great and wonderful fun in Single Player, but have no place, purpose, or need in multiplayer games.

Comment

I don't rekon destroyable terrain will be around in multiplayer for a long long time yet, just think of the bandwidth issues, when the terrain blows up the info that must be sent to everyone relaying where it all went and what happened would kill the best of connections

Comment

I'd love it if the pawn elements of a vehicle had their own amount of health, so a good sniper could pick off each plasma caster of a Manta.

Comment

Originally posted by placebo
                        I'd love it if the pawn elements of a vehicle had their own amount of health, so a good sniper could pick off each plasma caster of a Manta.
                        Vehicle damage zones are likely in ENVY (quotage, "tank treads could be destructable")

The trouble is working out what areas can have specific damage and to what level. Being able to totally destroy the weaponry would ruin a lot of fun, so maybe weapons would only lose their effectiveness to a certain level (reduced rate of fire, less damage, loss of accuracy, non-constant fire rate etc etc) rather than being totally taken out.

Comment

I like the idea of terrain digging but it would be abused. I still think it would be alright if only certain walls or ramps and such were destroyable. (Pillar by the shock rifle on rankin)

Comment

Originally posted by Tu(n)a_335
                            I like the idea of terrain digging but it would be abused. I still think it would be alright if only certain walls or ramps and such were destroyable. (Pillar by the shock rifle on rankin)
                            as long as they made sure everyone knew they COULD HAVE made it so everything was destructable... i still remember some of the D3 reviews: OMG YOU CAN ONLY MOVE *SOME* STUFF, AND YOU CANT PULL DOWN PIPES AND IMPLODE ROOMS AND RIP OUT TOILET MAINS!!!11!!1ONE

urgh.

people.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Deacon
                              Vehicle damage zones are likely in ENVY (quotage, "tank treads could be destructable")

The trouble is working out what areas can have specific damage and to what level. Being able to totally destroy the weaponry would ruin a lot of fun, so maybe weapons would only lose their effectiveness to a certain level (reduced rate of fire, less damage, loss of accuracy, non-constant fire rate etc etc) rather than being totally taken out.
                              They'd still function as transportation, and the guns are small targets anyways. It would be cool if when you took out say the Scorpion's rocket launcher, it would do some damage to the thing itself.

Comment

Working...
                              X