Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[OT] Which CPU setup would be better for gaming...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[OT] Which CPU setup would be better for gaming...

... and athlon FX 55? or a Dual Opteron setup? I want to get the best setup I can, but I'm not sure which CPU setup would be better for gaming, because I have heard that some people use Dual Opterons for their games.

Thanks in advance,
    Shmenge

I would go for an FX55.

Comment

Apparently Dual Core CPUs won't make any difference in gaming until games support it properly :up:

Comment

FX55. :up:

Comment

Originally posted by mazza558
          Apparently Dual Core CPUs won't make any difference in gaming until games support it properly :up:
          Dual Opeteron isn't dual core, just two opterons in one system. Sorry if you were talking about something else all together, but I figured you were making this comment towards the dual opterons.

Comment

FX55 would be better. UT2k4 isn't built to use 2 processors. I even see it on our dual OPTi server, when the CPU hits 50% for one of the servers it lags out BAD. Now, it'll run 2+ UT servers just fine as long as it doesn't use more than 50% on one or %90ish total.

Comment

Personally I'm going to wait and get a Dual Core AMD, and overlcock it.

I know theres no benefit for single threaded applications.. however, you've got to think, there are other apps running in the background when your playing 2k4, if the system apps etc were to use one cpu and 2k4 another, it might be a better gaming experience.

Comment

Well, the thing you have to remember is your price per performance variable. Another thing in a hypothetical is this: Say you're gonna spend $500 on a CPU. One is dual core the other is single. The dual core when applied to it's fullest extent is %25 (probably less) faster than the single core. Now considering that background apps suck up maybe %5 cpu usage while you're gaming you're only gonna be able to tap into %50 of the cpu on the dual and %95 of the cpu on the single.

Now, if you have a major background app that sucks up lots of CPU time then you might be better off with a dual.

In the end we'll all have to see what the real numbers turn out to be. My guess is that once the OS and apps/games get built to utilize the tech, the dual core will have an advantage. It'll be a matter of price v performance then.

Comment

Working...
                X