The End?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The End?

Since 1970s people were updating Pong, Tetris, Galaga... Making them more and more advanced with better graphics, new gameplay style. Then came new genres - Adventure, RTS, RPG, FPS, and finally MMO. Every game tried some new fresh ideas, a new engine and used some new PC technology. Then, in late 1996 [Turok? Am I way off?] graphics cards showed up on the market for PC users. Of course, it revolutionized gaming coming up with 3D renders, bump mapping [normal mapping and whatever else is there] and finally game editors let gamers make their own worlds in games. Now....

What's left? Soon, games will have ultra realistic graphics, full sorround sound, full multiplayer, life-like physics, support for all kinds of joysticks, displays etc... What's left? Is it the end for creativity? There's not much that can still be done.

What do you think? Is gaming industry doomed?

Share your thaughts.

[Oh, yeah, the above came to me after reading the newest PC mag and looking at some next gen games]

The world is ending anyway, so try not to worry about it.

Comment

hum, no prolly not.
      theyre going to make games which you dont need to use your hands for theyre gonna send some kind of signal through one of the open holes in ur body then it looks like ur in matrix

Comment

Re: The End?

Originally posted by Krogen
        What's left? Soon, games will have ultra realistic graphics, full sorround sound, full multiplayer, life-like physics, support for all kinds of joysticks, displays etc... What's left? Is it the end for creativity? There's not much that can still be done.

Share your thaughts.

[Oh, yeah, the above came to me after reading the newest PC mag and looking at some next gen games]
        Gaming industry doomed? I think not.
        Quite the opposite actually, and it's probably the fasted growing entertainment medium at present time and that trend will probably continue.

End for creativity? Surely with all those points mentioned it makes the possiblity for creativity more available. What's left after all those thnigs are perfected? Games are left. Good games, immersive games, games where you're actions affect the whole outcome of the game whether for better or for worse. Virtual reality. This is surely going to be a part of the gaming future in one way or another. This will no doubt be a large step towards Total Immersion Video Games (++red dwarf )

It's not like the film industry has died, and they're rehashing plotlines right left an centre just with different styles and intricacies. When games become like completely interactive worlds (think star trek holodeck I suppose) then the game engine industry will need nothing more. The gaming industry will still be able to come up with new things to do with it though.

Comment

Re: The End?

Originally posted by Krogen

Nintendo has acknowledged this problem and is apparently working on it.

Can't wait 'til E3 to hopefully find out WTF will be revolutionary about the Revolution.

Comment

No i will say the games are more realistic incl the voiced physic bots.

Loads of ppl have always wanted to have great grapics it must be realistic worlds chars and more.
            But the creativiti will aways stay look at Unreal Championship 2 and Unreal Tournament Envy and Phira etc.

And soon we get hot chicks with virtuality so you can see her in your real hight etc and and speak to here... (erm nvm this gos to far ''but this is coming to our way to'')

No gaming industry is not doomed.
            Soon there will come new idea's cuz the engines are better pc's are better. And mostly the consoles will take over the 1970's with RPG Adventure etc.. the pc's will be a RPG FPS and RTS etc. but thats over a few years doomed ''its just gonna run pc games'' like doom3 on xbox etc.

And Unreal Envy will be the first game that have real life like physics like you will say to a bot defence the flag over the microfone he will do that.

look at doom 3, unreal tournament erm jade empire, lotr, C&C titels.
            creativiti huh?

and look at the WW2 games they are not bad but im sick and tired cuz every game company makes ****ing WW2 games and they all the same. only other name grapics and engines thats it.

sry for my bad english.

And if you want to play classics just play some Nitendo games and Atari's classics. (but who wants play these games? ''yes old gamers that likes these games'')

Comment

there will always be people that see beyond what you see... no worries m8... gaming will keep progressing

Comment

Soon? I think not. If you're fooled by PC graphics today, then you need your eyes checked. Nothing comes close to photo-realism, not even Hollywood's best pre-rendered scenes. Not only that, but until we start using 3D surfaces for displaying graphics or perhaps some sort of projection, all we have is a 2D approximation. Maybe in a few decades when computers are several orders of magnitude more powerful will game creators be able to simulate a full scene in its entirety, physics and all.

Graphics and physics are just the beginning. AI has a long ways to go as well, and I'm not just talking about voice recognition. When you play against a bot, you know it's a bot because of the way it moves, its accuracy, path finding, etc. Until a bot is no longer distinguishable from a human in movement and behavior, then there's still room for improvement. And I'm willing to bet that it'll be a long, long time before AIs are capable of doing that.

Comment

From the XBOX pictures I seen I don't think making money will be a problem for Microsoft when it comes to next-gen games.

Comment

pretty graphics do not a fun game make.

want to know whats going to happen?

they're going to be making these hyper-realistic games, and they're going to suck... and i'm going to reinstall Doom95 and have fun.

(oh and UT2k4 of course, provided there's still servers in the year 2xxx)

Comment

Yes there are lots of games that would have been better if they stayed 2D or weak 3D. Doom3 should have been more like Doom2 but thats not what interests them. They want to show they have a bad *** 3D engine and try to sell it showing off graphics and skipping gameplay. Because of that great or even good games are hard to find. Anyways... for the types of games I play(UT, Racing) improved graphics make the game better.

Comment

Originally posted by Spaz007
                        Yes there are lots of games that would have been better if they stayed 2D or weak 3D. Doom3 should have been more like Doom2 but thats not what interests them. They want to show they have a bad *** 3D engine and try to sell it showing off graphics and skipping gameplay. Because of that great or even good games are hard to find. Anyways... for the types of games I play(UT, Racing) improved graphics make the game better.
                        sp34king of XBOX games... UC2 pwnz all!!!!!!!!! WICKED SICK!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by FlakDino454
                          UC2 pwnz all!!!!!!!!!
                          Nope

Comment

There is still quite a few steps to be taken before you hit anything you can call the top, but as previously mentioned, the world will end before then.

The end of the world is coming soon. At least, the end of the technology era as mankind will doom themselves back to the stone-age.

Mark my words when you sit without eletricity one day.

Comment

Originally posted by {BL}Berserker
                              The world is ending anyway, so try not to worry about it.
                              :haha:

Comment

Working...
                              X