Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

last i heard, raid 0 hurts load times or has negectable differance

Comment

man, now I have no idea what to do. Should I stick with the RAID array or just use the two HDD's as standard SATA?

Comment

Judging from the responses, and what little I have read about it, I'd say drop the RAID 0 setup and go back to standard HDs.

On the other hand you said that you had another RAID 0 setup that increased load times dramatically. Well now I'm as confused as you are.

Honestly I don't know many people that use RAID setups. Those that do seem to do it just because they can. In the end, I think a 10K RPM drive would probably blow away any RAID 0 setup as far as gaming is concerned. But again, I'm no expert.

Comment

Will I get a WL for posting twice in a row?

Anyway, doesn't a RAID 0 setup basically double your chances for a catastropic failure? Don't you have two drives acting as one, and if you lose one you've lost everything on both?

Comment

That depends on your point of view. With one drive, if it dies you'll lose everything. With a RAID 0, if one drive dies you lose everything. 6 of one, half a dozen of the other.

To the thread starter, my recommendation is to not RAID. Especially if you only have the two drives and will be booting from the RAID.

Comment

Originally posted by senshu
              That depends on your point of view. With one drive, if it dies you'll lose everything. With a RAID 0, if one drive dies you lose everything. 6 of one, half a dozen of the other.

To the thread starter, my recommendation is to not RAID. Especially if you only have the two drives and will be booting from the RAID.
              It's true you lose everything either way, but my point was that you have twice as much chance of losing everything with two drives. If you had 100 drives and if one of them failed then you'd lose everything, you'd be pretty freakin nervous, wouldn't you?

Comment

Depends on your chipset controller mostly. The Intel ICHR5 performs best at 16k hands down, nearly the same at 32k, and noticeable drops at anything else. You need to do HDD benchmarks to find your best stripe size.

Yes you can defrag RAID 0 and you will need to more often the lower your stripe size.

Comment

Working...
                X