This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Admins Ruining Pub Experience

Ok so the last thread was locked before i could truely convey the point of it. Thus i will get to the point quickly here.

Why is it there are some admins in each game type that feel the need to be A$$HATS? I mean it is kind of sad. I mean think about the new players. If a person were to join one of these bad servers and somehow do well and get banned this would ruin the online experience. I know for one that if i was a new player and i got accused of cheating early on it wouldnt make me happy. I just do not understand how some people can run a public server and say they are doing it for the public yet run things so crappy?

Now i am not singling out VIperX here. I have been to servers with bad admins in each game type. (Except Mutant and Bombing Run since i wont go near those two game types with a 10 foot pole.) And in each of my experiences ive gone back and read the rules of these servers. The one thing they have in common is the notion that the servers are run for EVERYONE to have fun. Yet the moment someone starts doing well they get kicked or banned. I personally have not always been banned. I have been with friends and team mates who have had this happen while playing. Today is actually the one time ive been accused of cheating and the admin refused to acknowledge skill.

It all doesnt add up. How can you run a public server under the premise of making sure EVERYONE has fun yet kick anyone with any skill? I really wish there was some sort of way to police public servers so the good name of this game and public play in general isnt ruined by a select few that have resolved themselves to run public servers in an awful manner. Hell i wish there was a way to do it for all online games. But alas any moron with money can purchase a server. It truely does not make the future of online gaming appear bright.

The bottom line is that people who pay for the bandwidth that
    hosts their servers have the power to do what they want with them.
    Rightfully so. You should think of it as being a guest at someones
    party. So you can cut a rug on the dance floor clearing out the
    middle, If the host of the party doesnt like what they see and
    decides that they want you out, then out you will go.

You can kick and scream about it all you want but it wont change
    the fact. Server bandwidth prices are not cheap theses days.

Comment

Re: Admins Ruining Pub Experience

Originally posted by SweetTooth
      do it for all online games. But alas any moron with money can purchase a server.
      Yes, and any moron with money can buy the game and then whine about how people run their servers.

Don't like the server admin? Don't like the server rules? Don't like the players? Don't play there. Easy as that.

Comment

3 choices my friend

1) Get your own server and run it as you see fit

2) Join a server community and become part of it

3) ***** and whine til the cows come home

EDIT: I guess you cant use the female dog name... anyhoo, you get my drift

Comment

Originally posted by Tuqui-tuqui

3 choices my friend

1) Get your own server and run it as you see fit

2) Join a server community and become part of it

3) ***** and whine til the cows come home

EDIT: I guess you cant use the female dog name... anyhoo, you get my drift
          you forgot #4:

4) dance naked in the sunshine

Comment

i personally dont see much wrong with an admin doing what she or he sees fit in this game, if a bunch of noobs are on a server, thats no fun, and if they're filling up a server, kick some of them off, get some better players in, and have a good time.

In ET (only game i play lately) it's very common for an admin or the people in the game to kick a player who doesn't know what they're doing, one stupid player in that game will ruin it for the team they're on. All it takes is a couple minutes of reading the readme or manual, and then you have a good idea of wtf your supposed to do. Luckily most people do this, some people dont though, and when it's detrimental to the server as a whole at the time, theres no use keeping that person in the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Chiln_Viln
              The bottom line is that people who pay for the bandwidth that
              hosts their servers have the power to do what the want with them.
              Rightfully so. You should think of it as being a guest at someones
              party. So you can cut a rug on the dance floor clearing out the
              middle, If the host of the party doesnt like what they see and
              decides that they want you out, then out you will go.

You can kick and scream about it all you want but it wont change
              the fact. Server bandwidth prices are not cheap theses days.
              This may be true, but it's OUR GAME they're disgracing!
              Admins should be reported like aimbotters, and cheaters when they act like asshats. Ban their IP!
              :up:

Comment

Originally posted by AmericanWoman
                This may be true, but it's OUR GAME they're disgracing!
                Admins should be reported like aimbotters, and cheaters when they act like asshats. Ban their IP!
                :up:
                that is my point. i mean im all up for running a server how you see fit but a lot of people have a very skewed perspective of what is right and wrong. I mean yeah ban some team killing idiot that has no clue what they are doing. But sometimes you simply cant do that. At one point we all were noobs and didnt know what they were doing.

Again the point of this thread is for the consideration of the new players. With bad server admins all that can happen is the newbies are scared off. THis will just increase the number of players we are already losing.

I do not wish to see such a great game ruined by an awful server admin. Whatever game type doesnt matter. The UT community as a whole should be mature enough to try to do what is best. (Yes wishful thinking i know) But this is just like a cheater. Cheaters are doing damage to the game and such is the case of a bad server admin. Thus i feel some sort of action should be taken. Maybe take these bad servers off the masterlist some how. I dont know if it is possible but it is the only thing i can come up with right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumb_Drumb
                  you forgot #4:

4) dance naked in the sunshine
                  How could I have forgotten that

I completely understand SweetTooth, and to a point you are correct, but it is wishful thinking only especially for new players. Who will judge who makes a server owner admin-material? Not even Epic/Atari can...

Comment

i know this is idealistic... but at least it is something.... i really just wish there was something that could be done. i really do not want to see online gaming tarnished because of asshat admins.

Comment

I'm in favor of a community-based "black-list" somewhere where a lot of people are. If a server gets 10+ unique votes as a "**** server" for valid reasons, the name of the server, IP, and (if applicable) clan hosting it are listed on the server blacklist as places not to go.

It'd be best if it was in a spot where lotsa people will think to look, like here or BeyondUnreal.

Not gonna happen, but hey.

~S

Comment

Then it doesnt even make sense to me to even complain about it.
                        Remove the server from your favorites or just ignore it in your browser.
                        Or does it burn you up inside to see a bunch of n00bs
                        at a party, having fun playing Pin The Tail, and they wont let you
                        join because last time you crashed the party you shot them all
                        with silly string and threw a lit match on it.

Comment

I do believe that server admins may do whatever they want on their own server, but it's a known fact that the guys at [HOP] just aren't very nice people when it comes to relations with other players who don't play how they want it to be played. Seriously, they'll ban you for taking more than three frags with the sniper rifle in the same location.

Comment

Being banned by an admin for your skill is the highest form of flattery.

Comment

Originally posted by placebo
                              Being banned by an admin for your skill is the highest form of flattery.
                              yes!!! i got banned for camping the jail in JB!!! oh, wait, no.:cry: :down:

Comment

Working...
                              X