Recommend For Me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vive_le_Quebec
    Dude, if you listen to that, you'd NEVER build a system. There are plenty of sites that show you how.

WTF? If you're going to do that, may as well go pre-built like Dell, etc. Those are really expensive and you get more software with pre-built and support. Otherwise, I would learn how to build one with a cheaper system then customize it later.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...796&CatId=1683
    i agree.
    If you are gonna buy prebuilt, get a proven brand name.
    Although those systemax comp's have great support and reliability (so i've heard).

Comment

Yeah, that's a proven brand name motherboard there. And they have good manuals. You can even download their manuals from their websites (I mean companies like Abit and Asus.)

Anyway, I was trying to do a comparison between PCI-Express prices and AGP prices. It's very bizarre. You can hardly find the same lineup. Well, I did with the 6600 GT. And for whatever reason, the PCI-Express cards for the 6600 GT are less expensive.

\EDIT: I just found something very strange. I finally found that there was a ChainTech GeForce 6600 GT for both AGP and PCI-Express. But check out these prices. PCI-E $176 Canadian AGP $257. There's a Chaintech socket 939 mobo & Athlon cpu for $303. And there's a Chaintech socket 754 mobo & Athlon cpu for $237. The cost for the socket 754 + AGP card is actually more expensive. It's $494 Canadian compared to $479. This is criminal. Chaintech also sells motherboards so they want to force you to buy the socket 939 motherboard which is $303.

With those kinds of shenanigans going on, I'd rather buy a cheap socket A mobo & CPU and 3D card and upgrade all three at the same time next year. You'd get something way faster next year and at a more reasonable price (I think anyway).

Comment

Microsoft is evil.
        why are you using their OS then?

Comment

Originally posted by Sailor_Saturn
          why are you using their OS then?
          I tried not long after buying my system about 5 years ago to install Linux. I had some difficulties at the time. My ISP didn't want to support Linux as well.

Erh, wait. What makes you think that my using Win98SE has ANYTHING to do with whether Microsoft is evil or not? I used to read PC Magazine years ago. The same old stories repeated themselves. They had lost a lawsuit against stacker or whatever it was around 1990 (can't remember exactly) for copying their software and re-selling it under their brand name. Fact is, I heard many times about Microsoft being sued. They even worked with some companies pretending they wanted to do joint ventures with them only to pull the rug right under them. They stole other people's intellectual property then stopped working with them. In other words, THEY copied from other companies. They raped those companies. I don't need to explain all of this. I can't see why Microsoft doesn't deserve being raped by the comsumer. Anyway, when Linux becomes more user friendly etc, you can count on me and many others to give Microsoft the boot. And BTW? My using their software has NOTHING to do with the fact they are evil.

Comment

Also, its not like I payed for my os..

Comment

I tried not long after buying my system about 5 years ago to install Linux. I had some difficulties at the time. My ISP didn't want to support Linux as well.

Erh, wait. What makes you think that my using Win98SE has ANYTHING to do with whether Microsoft is evil or not? I used to read PC Magazine years ago. The same old stories repeated themselves. They had lost a lawsuit against stacker or whatever it was around 1990 (can't remember exactly) for copying their software and re-selling it under their brand name. Fact is, I heard many times about Microsoft being sued. They even worked with some companies pretending they wanted to do joint ventures with them only to pull the rug right under them. They stole other people's intellectual property then stopped working with them. In other words, THEY copied from other companies. They raped those companies. I don't need to explain all of this. I can't see why Microsoft doesn't deserve being raped by the comsumer. Anyway, when Linux becomes more user friendly etc, you can count on me and many others to give Microsoft the boot. And BTW? My using their software has NOTHING to do with the fact they are evil.
              So, essentially, you're saying: "They stole things, now I'm going to steal things".

You do realize how f**ked up this world would be if it operated like that... right? In any case, if you're going to b*tch about Microsoft, then stop stealing their products; you stealing from them makes you no better than they are (assuming, of course, that they are as bad as you say they are, which I would disagree with).

Comment

Linux has improved greatly in those 5 years... You should try it again.

Comment

I'm suprised nobody has said this...but....Your ISP didn't want to support linux?....what kind of bullsh!t is that....ISP's are NOT OS decisive....not in the slightest....why do you think you can put a router infront of all your computers and it still works? DUH!?

Unless your talking about some ****ty AOL Dial up or something....which is considered a Virus more than an ISP...but either way, you can still make it work with Linux just using a dialer

Comment

No matter how much you rape Microsoft, it won't get those victimized companies their money back. It's not your right, nor 99% of Microsoft bashers' rights to "take money from Microsoft because they are evil". In fact, anyone who hates Microsoft because they have money gets put on my "OMG n00b" list.

Comment

Buy parts from some smaller place. You can choose every part yourself and make sure they are only quality stuff. It will be cheaper than buying the whole PC from some bigger place.

And at least here they put the whole thing together for you and it costs like 15 euros.

Comment

Well, I don't need to really answer the posts above but I can say I'm unemployed right now because of my back. (It might be temporary, I don't know yet.) You take a lot of chances though. A lot of key generators out there are viruses or dialers.

I had a funny one that asked me to reboot. Then it would ask me for a serial number for Win98SE (I already have the one from HP). So, it would give me a message saying the installation was going ahead, but really, it wouldn't. It failed.

I even did a random search that showed there's a lot of that **** around. Strange. One of the files I believe was contaminated was shared by something like 80 hosts. There must be some kind of organized effort to stop you from downloading warez. In my opinion, those people aren't any better. How can THEY justify screwing with your machine?:down:

Comment

ok guys thanks for your help (apart from the spam argument) lol
                          Ill start to buy parts now

Comment

Working...
                          X