Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the Ti4200 AGP 4x better than the FX5200 AGP 8x?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oui

Originally posted by Hitman-Vinnie

The Ti chips are performance chips, the FX are for surfing the internet.
    Funny.. how much do you want to bet against my "net surfing" FX 5900XT blowing your "performance" Ti out of the water...

Comment

No question about it, the Ti4200 is the better card.

Comment

I got an Abit Siluro ATI ti4200 for $35.

Comment

Re: Are you for real?

FX anything = web surfing
          Ti anything = great gaming experience.
          well im not trying to say the FX isn't a crappy series because it obviously is but i can play every game out with good framerates on my FX5200 so that last bit kinda makes no sense especially seeing as people can play UT204 at high-max details with an FX card :bulb:

Comment

with either the ti or the fx, youll get good performance if you have a fast cpu. ut2004 is more cpu dependant than gpu.
            and fx5200 is slow, i used to hvae one, but was pretty good with the memory modules overlcocked by 100mhz.
            a friend of mine is getting better performance from the fx5200 than the ti. he went from the ti to the fx.

Comment

Originally posted by senshu
              No question about it, the Ti4200 is the better card.
              Well, according to this, it's not black or white, it's sort of gray:
              http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2281&p=2

Hold your mouse over the image to see what happens when you use Directx 8 instead of Directx 9. You'll see the image quality of the water go down. But if you click on the next page of that link, you'll see going to Directx 9 actually slows down the performance for some cards by a large percentage (check it out, it's weird).

Since I wanted to configure a computer to run both UT2004 and UT1999, I doubt I will install Directx 9. I'll just install the Directx that came with UT2004. (I can't remember but I think it was 8.1. I won't download the one from download.com because the comments section says it doesn't work. And I found spyware on WinAmp from oldversion.com. Whatever.)

So, I guess the computer I'll build will only be for UT2004 (and also UT1999 if I can get it to work again, don't know what went wrong the last time, probably the fact I put Directx 9c while running a Geforce2. I'll also go back in the Nvidia archive and try out some older drivers).

When UT2006 comes out, I'll just wait a few months for computer parts to go down in price then build another system just for that.

I can't wait to see what it's going to be like running a computer without the bundled **** that came with my HP. I've always been convinced it holds back my system, like taking a minute to boot my computer.

Comment

Originally posted by Vive_le_Quebec
                I can't wait to see what it's going to be like running a computer without the bundled **** that came with my HP. I've always been convinced it holds back my system, like taking a minute to boot my computer.
                just format and isntall a fresh copy of windows without using one of them bs recovery cds that install 10 tonnes of **** on your computer.
                used to happen with my old ibm aptive, had the recovery cd, but everytime i used it i would then go through and uninstall all the **** it put on there, was painful.

Comment

Re: Are you for real?

The »Ti GPU was a PERFORMANCE chip Period.
                  The FX line of chips were a low end cheap GPU.

The FX compared to a Ti will never come close to the performance of the Ti. PERIOD. The math speaks for itself....Maybe you didnt do well in math class.

FX anything = web surfing
                  Ti anything = great gaming experience.

Do yourself a favor.....Put all of the settings to (MAX) on your FX5900 and keep telling yourself what you see is beautiful......While your buddies with their Ti4200 4X or 8X quietly kick your a_ _.

Apples and Oranges people.
                  The math speaks for itself. So do the frags.
                  Convenient to spew blitherings that amount to squat and proclaim it as fact. Show me your amazing mathematical formulas, I'm sure I'll be impressed. Meanwhile the simple fact of the matter is that even at HS settings my framerates remain in the hundreds. That's what counts. Mkay bye.

Comment

Re: Is the Ti4200 AGP 4x better than the FX5200 AGP 8x?

Originally posted by Vive_le_Quebec
                    Me wondering. I found a Ti4200 on sale but it's only AGP 4x. I know I'll hear a lot of "get something better", but I'm on an extremely tight budget.
                    Je penserais pas Vive le québec...

I don't think so...

Comment

Ive owned both cards and I can tell with 100% certainty that the ti4200 is better. I got my ti4200 from MSI and the card overclocked from 250/511 to 300/585 and its 100% stable! Excelent value.

Comment

I have a 2 year old ti4200.. i also recently bought an asylum FX5500oc for my new rig... boy was i in for a nasty surprise

the old system is an xp1700 @ 1.4 ghz, 512 ddr, with the ti4200.

new system is 64 bit xp3500 clocked to 3800 speeds, 1 gig 2700ddr , fx5500 and audigy2 zs.

the old pc gets slightly better scores in aquamark.. with the biggest difference being "video" :cry:

6600gt coming soon to a pc near me

Comment

Re: Here are the freakin facts!!! If you are able to READ!!!

Look Jean-Pierre, posting some random review comparing a Ti to an FX 5600 does not justify your initial comments. My argument is not that Ti's are no good, if you read my first post I clearly said the Ti would be the better purchase, to a 5200. To a 5600? It's possible. While we're talking about 3 year old cards, that's pretty much how old the 5600 is. 5700? I doubt the Ti would match up. 5900XT? No way in hell. And there are several newer FX cards, all of which blow yours away. Basing your judgement of the entire gamut of FX series cards off reviews of the first models to be rolled off in its lineup is complete idiocy.

Here is for you {BL}Berserker you are old enough to read?

http://www.digital-daily.com/video/n...31/index02.htm

Now stop you crying...

Ti4200 kicks butt for a 3 year old card.

Overall conclusion
                          As the conducted benchmarks showed, the FX5600 chip albeit positioned as a replacement to the GeForce 4 Ti4200 chip can hardly match it. The problem is not only in the lack of software able implementing the DX9 potentials to the full, but also in its slow speed. Besides, having rounded up video cards based on the GeForce FX, you arrive at an unpleasant finding - currently, nVidia offers no good video cards for the mainstream sector. Due to the lack of games demanding GeForce FX to function properly, we believe it is not reasonable to be hasty at upgrading GeForce 4Ti models

Comment

Originally posted by ^vs^Bazza
                            i must of had either a slow Ti4200 or a special 5200 because for me the 5200 is better

I used to use a GeForce Ti4200 64mb card but it died on me so i got a FX5200 Ultra 256mb and although its hardly a good card it is running better than my Ti ever did. . . guess im an exception though
                            He is comparing the ti4200 to the regular fx5200, not the "5200 ultra". The "fx5200 ultra" has MUCH faster RAM and core speed.
                            Also, my ti4400 got better UT2004 benchmark by like 2fps than my 5900xt at maxed UT settings, but the new cards shine when you notice how much faster they are then the old TI when enabling features like AA and AF. Also, the new cards support pixel shader 2.0 - so they enable you to enable graphical features in new games that older TI card wont show at all. The new 'Settlers/Heritage of kings' game has like 5 graphic settings that are locked or off unless you have a newer generation video card. hence I am shopping around for a new card for some friends that are still on ti4200s

Comment

Originally posted by Mego_splat
                              I have a 2 year old ti4200.. i also recently bought an asylum FX5500oc for my new rig... boy was i in for a nasty surprise

the old system is an xp1700 @ 1.4 ghz, 512 ddr, with the ti4200.

new system is 64 bit xp3500 clocked to 3800 speeds, 1 gig 2700ddr , fx5500 and audigy2 zs.

the old pc gets slightly better scores in aquamark.. with the biggest difference being "video" :cry:

6600gt coming soon to a pc near me
                              WOW! That’s great news! Thank you very much for that! Now I know I can build a cheap system that will still be acceptable. I was thinking about building almost exactly that. I wanted to put together a Duron 1.8 GHz and 512 MB RAM with the GeForce Ti4200.

Le Ti4200 est bien mieux que n'importe quelle carte de FX sur le marché. Veuillez lire le lien ci-dessus pour plus d'information.
                              LOL, I’m not in Quebec yet.

Eh, je ne vois pas de lien. :bulb:

Comment

The TI perfoems better than the FX5200 in most situations, but the real life performance will depend on your entire rig, not just the VC.

Comment

Working...
                                X