Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the Ti4200 AGP 4x better than the FX5200 AGP 8x?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Is the Ti4200 AGP 4x better than the FX5200 AGP 8x?

    Me wondering. I found a Ti4200 on sale but it's only AGP 4x. I know I'll hear a lot of "get something better", but I'm on an extremely tight budget.

    #2
    from what I've read (i have no experience on the issue) the old ti4200 is the better card of the 2 :up:

    Comment


      #3
      5200's should hardly even be considered FX class from what i've heard.. you might get better performance with the Ti and 41.72 drivers. the diff between 4x and 8x would be negligable in your situation.

      Comment


        #4
        http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=1797&p=6

        http://www20.graphics.tomshardware.c...charts-05.html

        Definitely get a Ti4200 if we are talking about playing UT2004. The Ti4200 beats even the 5600 in most gaming benchmarks I've seen, especially the UT series. It's just a better card. And there is almost no difference what-so-ever between 4x & 8x AGP, it's all a marketing gimmick. Honest.

        Remember kids, newer doesn't always mean better. Not by a long shot.

        Comment


          #5
          Thanks for telling me about the marketing gimmick. I looked for comparisons but couldn't find them. Then I saw this old article where the 5200 was actually included. It's hard to tell for some games. For other games, the ti4200 clearly comes ahead as in this link:
          http://www20.graphics.tomshardware.c...charts-09.html

          \EDIT: I'm now officially a weirdo. I ordered JUST THE VIDEO CARD without ordering anything else. That's extra shipping and handling for nothing. Oh well, I'll have a chance to test out tigerdirect.ca's service before making a "larger" order. I ordered the GeForce Ti4200 AGP 4X 64MB. I guess I could have ordered it from somewhere else but tigerdirect seems to be like one of the only places where you can shop in Canadian dollars. If anyone wanted to take a look at this card, I saw them at computersetc.com and compuvest.com

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Vive_le_Quebec
            Thanks for telling me about the marketing gimmick. I looked for comparisons but couldn't find them. Then I saw this old article where the 5200 was actually included. It's hard to tell for some games. For other games, the ti4200 clearly comes ahead as in this link:
            http://www20.graphics.tomshardware.c...charts-09.html

            \EDIT: I'm now officially a weirdo. I ordered JUST THE VIDEO CARD without ordering anything else. That's extra shipping and handling for nothing. Oh well, I'll have a chance to test out tigerdirect.ca's service before making a "larger" order. I ordered the GeForce Ti4200 AGP 4X 64MB. I guess I could have ordered it from somewhere else but tigerdirect seems to be like one of the only places where you can shop in Canadian dollars. If anyone wanted to take a look at this card, I saw them at computersetc.com and compuvest.com
            I have a 128mb ti4200. It playes 2k4 pretty good. Holy **** settings will give you a playable game, but not if you are actually competitive at all. Although I hear the 64mb version is slightly faster than the 128mb version because the ram uses a faster
            clock rate.
            good luck on your purchase.

            Comment


              #7
              I had (well, I still have the card on my desk) a GF4 Ti4200 128Mb 4xAGP card and it held up pretty well with UT2004 in most cases. I generally ran it 1024x768 no AA/AF, High tex detail, Normal char detail, low world & physics detail, and give or take for the other things.

              For DM/CTF this was smooth probably 70% of the time, but it did have a tendency to have the frame rate fluctuate when lots of action appeared. For AS/ONS it wasn't so great, but still comletely playable, just even less consistent with the frame rate.

              The fan died on mine after 2 years ish, so now I have a GF6600 GT

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by The_Deacon
                I had (well, I still have the card on my desk) a GF4 Ti4200 128Mb 4xAGP card and it held up pretty well with UT2004 in most cases. I generally ran it 1024x768 no AA/AF, High tex detail, Normal char detail, low world & physics detail, and give or take for the other things.

                For DM/CTF this was smooth probably 70% of the time, but it did have a tendency to have the frame rate fluctuate when lots of action appeared. For AS/ONS it wasn't so great, but still comletely playable, just even less consistent with the frame rate.

                The fan died on mine after 2 years ish, so now I have a GF6600 GT
                I have an Asus Ti4400 and run it in the detail levels you say. It runs DM easily at 100+fps, ONS around 70fps. Good card, overclocked it. I found that a certain driver version provides peak performance out of it. Performance drops on later versions as they are optimised for new chipsets...

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by rcaine
                  I have an Asus Ti4400 and run it in the detail levels you say. It runs DM easily at 100+fps, ONS around 70fps. Good card, overclocked it. I found that a certain driver version provides peak performance out of it. Performance drops on later versions as they are optimised for new chipsets...
                  Your processor is no doubt better than mine.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    In one word, Yes.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      i must of had either a slow Ti4200 or a special 5200 because for me the 5200 is better

                      I used to use a GeForce Ti4200 64mb card but it died on me so i got a FX5200 Ultra 256mb and although its hardly a good card it is running better than my Ti ever did. . . guess im an exception though

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Argh! I hope I didn't buy a card that will burn out on me. It does have a cooling fan. What kind of power supply do you have with the Ti4200.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          I have the 128mb Ti4200 and it runs UT2k4 at max settings (no AA/AF, 1280x1024 res) very very well...(even huge ONS maps)

                          Having a very good processor is important for getting the maximum speed out of this card, I've got an AMD XP 3200+.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Vive_le_Quebec
                            Argh! I hope I didn't buy a card that will burn out on me. It does have a cooling fan. What kind of power supply do you have with the Ti4200.
                            My god no! I think I'd just finally pushed the fan (<--- has a fan ) overboard after 2+ years of gaming with it. I think the bearings gave up the ghost. I could've bought a new fan and everything would've been peachy, but it was a good excuse to get a shiny new GFX monster.

                            I'd pushed the Ti4200 to it's limits with FarCry (demo), Doom3, HL2, and many hours of UT/UT2k3/UT2k4 to name but a few things. It's a tough ****** of a chip I guess that fan wasn't quite so tough!

                            Comment


                              #15
                              same thing happened to me, fan kicked in after about 4 years of torture from me

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X