Have you ever thought about it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you ever thought about it?

The point of Unreal Tournament 2004: slaughter. massacre. unholy carnage.

Why?

How is this appealing to the human mind... and how come so many ppl who play this are real life pacifists?

My question...

Why is slaughter considered fun?

IMO, it is fun... me likes seeing gibs

Some possibilities:

1. BECAUSE SOMEBODY WILL GET REALLY ANGRY AND POST IN ALL CAPS THAT YOU SHOULDN'T BE POSTING THIS THREAD. VIRTUAL VIOLENCE WILL BE HIS ONLY CATHARSIS -- AND REMEMBER, YOU DROVE HIM TO IT YOU BASTIDGE.

2. Because like it or not, deep in our reptilian hindbrains we all have a strong urge to massacre. Some people sublimate this in football rioting. For others, it's UT. Just remember, kids, that which is disowned within us kicks the hardest.

3. Seeing representations of human beings being shredded, shot up and blown to bits again and again and again desensitizes us, thus ameliorating the fear of death.

4. The deaths in UT are highly abstract, and we only enjoy them because they signify the success of our feats of hand- eye coordination. It's like shooting a rifle at paper targets, in other words.

5. The modern world has abandoned God, and surely this is yet one more sign that most of us already have one foot in the Abyss.

6. The cartoon violence serves to make us ask off- topic questions, thus giving the moderators an excuse to move something to Community Chat. NOOOOO, IT'S SCARY OUT THERE!!! PLEASE, I'LL BE GOOD!!!!

*edit* Nearly forgot, the Gangsta Defense: the violence you see onscreen is just a reflection and expression of the violence you see on the streets every day, in our society and in its institutions. So many of my homies are now dead because of Gen Mokai turf wars that it makes me sad, every day, and all I can do is trust Jesus and my Minelayer. *pours beer on the ground*

Peace out yo.

Comment

You thought about a vidoe game?? isnt that against the whole concept of games, thinking???????

My mom asked me the other day the same question, "Why do you like those violent games??? Your such a quite kid????"
      Still dont have a good answer

Comment

I like the competition side of things, the tactical aspect and the fact when its a good player vs a good player its just one big mind game ^_^

Comment

Re: Have you ever thought about it?

Originally posted by FlakDino454
          and how come so many ppl who play this are real life pacifists?
          Because if they did this in real life, it would hurt a lot.

But human beings are violent and aggressive by nature. A couple thousand years of "civilization" has mellowed us out, but we still find it gratifying to sublimate our violent, competitive impulses by blowing up virtual people instead of real ones.

Unfortunately, some people still prefer the real ones.

Comment

Originally posted by eVeNfL0W
            I like the competition side of things, the tactical aspect and the fact when its a good player vs a good player its just one big mind game ^_^
            Yeah but.... you could get that out of chess too.

Comment

It's all about the competition. It's like paintball, table hockey, monopoly, or whatever. UT just has an unreal war theme, and when you blast someone apart with a flak cannon, you can't help but enjoy blowing them to pieces. :up:

Comment

Why?

How is this appealing to the human mind... and how come so many ppl who play this are real life pacifists?

My question...

And a laggin' experience...

Comment

Why?

My question...

It's not all carnage, as you say it is. Video gaming is an art. furthermore, video gaming is NOT REAL. that's what most people like about it. Not quite sure what you like about it, though...

Comment

Because there's nothing like the thrill of huntin' people down and KILLIN' 'em.

Comment

We're all naturally evil.

Comment

I am a twsited psychopath, playing this game gives me ideas in real world...

Comment

Originally posted by Discord
                          The deaths in UT are highly abstract, and we only enjoy them because they signify the success of our feats of hand- eye coordination. It's like shooting a rifle at paper targets, in other words.

Comment

I just pretend they are terrorists or murderes of innocent people!

Comment

I am deeply disturbed and have a fetish for carnage ?

Yes I am the one sitting behind my computer typign to you in all caps that you are a nooby hacker which actually cleaning white stuff off my computer screen. :bulb:

Jkz.

Actually I like playing the game because it is fun, I like owning noobies and I like playing with good teamwork . Thats basically all, it's like laser tag or paintballin' when you go you first thought isn't "man, when i get there im gonna unloud this hopper on some 9 year old and hope to nail him in his newly decended testicles". Your thinking of how much fun your going to have with your friends or w/e.

Point Proven

Check, Mate.

Comment

Working...
                              X