The current state of ONS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The current state of ONS

For a variety of reasons, I stopped playing ONS shortly after the full release of UT2004.

I recently started playing ONS again (I've been playing AS, DM, iCTF) and was saddened at what I saw.

The first game I played, I was called an aimbot.

On another server, the teams were 5v7 and nobody would switch to even them.

The last one I played (last night), someone accused me of having no real skill as I killed him with a mine layer. I lost my temper and challenged him to a 1v1 DM to test his theory - I won with a total score of 70 to 0 over two maps.

Anyway, what's the deal with ONS? Are ONS servers typically like this? I played three different servers and my experience was that the players were either completely awful or jerks with false bravado.

What are some good ONS servers (besides Cain's - I know about that one)?

Come to the pugs! Pug games are so much better then public games!! It gives you a chance to play with some of the best NA ONS players around. Check out www.onscentral.com the home of competitive ONS. You can find a pug game on irc ETG channel #onspug, if you need help ask the guys in the room they would eb more then happy to help you!

Comment

pubs must be like that.
      go on GOOD ons servers, not random ones.

Comment

If you live in Europe I recommend the Titan 32 man server and the jolt.co.uk pubs. They occasionally have decent people on.

Comment

Give up on pubs. Go to the pugs instead.

#ONSPug @ irc.enterthegame.com

The only pubs worth playing on are those with either 1) Players who all know the "rules" or 2) A constant admin presence. Otherwise you'll find problems like those.

Seriously though, #ONSPug. Hell yeah.

Comment

leave america

Comment

Re: The current state of ONS

Originally posted by SJAndrew
              For a variety of reasons, I stopped playing ONS shortly after the full release of UT2004.

I recently started playing ONS again (I've been playing AS, DM, iCTF) and was saddened at what I saw.

The first game I played, I was called an aimbot.

On another server, the teams were 5v7 and nobody would switch to even them.

The last one I played (last night), someone accused me of having no real skill as I killed him with a mine layer. I lost my temper and challenged him to a 1v1 DM to test his theory - I won with a total score of 70 to 0 over two maps.

Anyway, what's the deal with ONS? Are ONS servers typically like this? I played three different servers and my experience was that the players were either completely awful or jerks with false bravado.

What are some good ONS servers (besides Cain's - I know about that one)?
              the majority of pubs are like that. There is nothing you can do about it.
              I get accused of botting on pub ONS servers a fair amount....that's just how those servers go.
              Also about the mine layer comment,
              i personally despise spider mines and think they are overpowered and cheap. However, they are part of the game and players should just learn to live with them i guess. The only time i really get annoyed is when a player continually uses nothing but mines to kill other people and clearly they have no skill i.e. by watching how they move and use of other weapons when used.

As everyone here has suggested, if you are wanting a fair game and something competitive play in pugs. definitely the only way to go nowadays if you want a good ONS game.

Comment

Half of what makes a good game are good people (as well as skilled). With that in mind my favourite servers are the USSR clan (large games) and Silent Dragon's Bi*chslap (smaller games). Sure you might get some nooblets, but overall I have a great time playing matches there --it certainly doesn't hurt to have members of respected clans frequently playing on their own pubs.

That being said, tonight I'll figure out that IRC thing once and for all and get on a PUG. I sometimes spec PUGS and they look like happyfunland....... I'm preparing myself to get owned by hitscan from 8 miles away as we speak!

And Sundae, I thought your clan was opening up a pub next Saturday (too bad I can't make it)? So speak better of them! It IS fun to play matches on a decent pub, if only because you don't feel pressured to talk all the time

Comment

Oh - it's not so much that we're opening a new pub... it's rather that we're removing a password. My opinion of pubs stands, and since ours hasn't had a crowd yet I can't particularly claim ours is any different. We'll try, yes - but it's not happened yet.

The vast majority of pubs suck - the ones that are good are those where players know the rules and there are admins around. By advertising the pub here and having lotsa friends in other clans, we hope to get players who know the rules on the server.

As for the admin-presence, well... there's 7 admins. That'd BETTER be enough, since I don't expect it to be a regularly full server.

Comment

Sorry to Hijack, but Hi Andrew :heart:

Comment

time of the day factors in as well... you come on early you run into a bunch of out of school kids, and lets face it.... they aren't at all enjoyable to play with. =/

Pubs do suck. Such is life.

Comment

Originally posted by mazza558
                        If you live in Europe I recommend the Titan 32 man server and the jolt.co.uk pubs. They occasionally have decent people on.
                        Occasionally ? I find that an insult.

Comment

Most ONS server are like that. Everyone just wants to win and doesn't care about swapping teams. Some asshats like to swap anytime they are losing. Team switching should be disabled unless the teams are uneven IMO. Finding a good server is really the only way to play. Not many ONS servers have serious players in them though.

Comment

Unfortunately, the standard of play on jolt.co.uk has plummeted. Back in the day, all the top European clans would stop by and play on them, you could always find a decent game full of good players on at least one of the servers. The Euro competitive ONS scene, however, is virtually dead, and no good clans really play on the jolt pubs any more, and thus they are full of the same braindead nubs you find populating every other ONS server.

Comment

Originally posted by [NBS]Flak
                              Sorry to Hijack, but Hi Andrew :heart:
                              Hi Flakkie, how are you?

I've got to stop by and say hi again

Comment

Working...
                              X