Help! Upgrading....Conquerer (Geforce) fx 5200 PCI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! Upgrading....Conquerer (Geforce) fx 5200 PCI

I'm thinking of upgrading my pathetic video card, i saw this card on sale for only 80 dollars. Is this worth a purchase? Considering its PCI, this is only to hold me off until feb or march where i will be building my own system, but will i get good performance considering this card and my pc specs? As of now i get, on a good day, about 20-30 fps, but it dips down CONSIDERABLY in alot of maps.

well?

thanks for the help. peace.

btw, this is the 128 mb PCI Geforce 5200.

Comment

Go for it. It's better than what you have now and anything faster would probably be bottlenecked by the "not-so-fast" CPU and RAM.

Comment

I wouldn't buy this because:
        a) its PCI - are you saying you don't have an AGP slot? - if you have - you'd be mad not using it.
        b) it's resell value will be zero.

I've got a Radeon 9500 Pro... even now - I see these selling on ebay for practically the same amount I bought it new for!!!

That's just my two "pence". (UK you see)

Comment

i have the samew vid acrd as you, except mine is 16mb. I'd recomend just saving for a good card. Recently baught a 9800 pro.

Comment

the ATI 9100 pci is the best pci out there
            the 5200 will do better than what u have now tho
            I had it,all it made me want to do is upgrade my entire pc .

Comment

Radeon 9600 pro 128MB DDR RAM

its about $150.00 at some places, and other places is $200.00

but its worth it!!!!

Comment

not sure the PCI card is worth the investment unless you got one of those systems which can only do PCI (then grab it and hold until you get a new computer)

Comment

Since you are going to be building a new system soon anyway,I wouldnt bother with this upgrade.
                  I wonder if there would even be any noticeable performance increase(seeing as this will still be a PCI card).

Comment

yes
                    but it still wont be great

Comment

Other people have replied to this thread but I dont think some of them have read your post. I gather you have a PCI slot only to upgrade to.

An upgrade now is not worth it. You will see a few fps more upgrading to a PCI gfx 5200 but you would be better off saving this money and putting toward more upgrades when you do you big feb/mar upgrade (which is only 3-4 months away now).

All the 'big' games are slated for a later than feb '04 release (UT2k4., HL2, Doom3) so your not going to miss out on much if you dont overhaul your system now.

Impy

Comment

thank you all so much for your replies, I guess wait it out it is, and build a super system!

Any sites where i can find quality computer parts for good prices, and if some of you other comp builders have any techniques or secrets to share, please do.

thanks again.

Comment

www.computerpartsusa.com

thats were i just bought all my parts, and just got done putting them together.

Comment

sweet bro,that looks like a great pc:up:

Comment

OMGG!!!!!!1111!!!!!!1111 one one twoo.... they have 128 mb pci cards? i got a 64 mb geforce mx 420 last almost a year ago because i dont have a agp slot but maybe i will have to get one of these. anyone know of how much performance gain i would get from it?

Comment

Working...
                              X