Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible to use a Playstation controller in UT with USB adapter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    I don't think you could ever replace the mouse as a pointing device... not for a long time anyway. However, a keyboard is somewhat clunky for movement, one of the biggest things I miss in PC games is the ability to control my rate of movement, it's all or nothing.

I think just a normal keyboard with an integrated analog stick could work, infact, I think I have seen one somewhere... the only issue is where do you put the stick? slap bang in the middle of the keys? near the arrow keys on the right? wsad?

The only other way would be to create a keyboard with analog keys (to save on costs + size maybe these could be just the arrow keys and QWERASDF.) so that the harder you push the key the faster you move, or the more you lean etc.

I don't like all these wacky controllers, none of them have bested the keyboard yet, it's a tried and tested piece of hardware. Rather than ditching it entirely, I think we just need to see slight modifications to allow greater freedom in games.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Re: Re: Possible to use a Playstation controller in UT with USB adapter?

Originally posted by SilverLinkX2
    Does this mean I can actually play games on the PC like Vice City with a PlayStation 2 controller? Cuz sometimes on certain missions it's much better with the old controller than mouse + keyboard. (i.e. any mission involving choppers)
    The answer is yes.
    I use a ps2 joypad when playing gta3/vc and it works ace:-)

Also flying the choppers,i use the thumbpads.

Best gaget i`v bought for the pc in a long time.

This is the one i use:-)

http://www.merconnet.com/products.php?ProductID=44

Leave a comment:

• replied
    nostromo powa!!

(i got a n50 and soon a n52)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Re: Possible to use a Playstation controller in UT with USB adapter?

Originally posted by Whumpmaster
    I just bought a PS2 to USB adapter for my PC. I was wondering if it would work with UT... let me know!
    Does this mean I can actually play games on the PC like Vice City with a PlayStation 2 controller? Cuz sometimes on certain missions it's much better with the old controller than mouse + keyboard. (i.e. any mission involving choppers)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    actually the atari jaguar's controller had about that many buttons....

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Crimson Sigil

Keyboards were never intended to be game input devices. (I doubt the creator of the typewriter ever imagined someone using it to play Unreal Tournament.) You can learn to use a keyboard in that capacity, sure. You can even do extraordinary things with it, after enough practice. That doesn't change the fact that it's more cumbersome to use than a gamepad, something that was designed for playing games.
    When there is a gamepad that allows me easy access to ~20 buttons with one hand, perhaps I'll consider switching. And yes, in UT2k3, I actively use 18 buttons on the keyboard to play the game.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by HeadsWillRoll
    analog in your left.. mouse in your right = Unstoppable!
    roger that red leader!:up:

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by HeadsWillRoll
    Why you bumping old threads:bulb:

Leave a comment:

• replied
    *didn't read topic through*

Yes, you can. My adapter treats the controllers as two joysticks, and those can be used.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    you're all missing the point.. that a game pad with a regular d-pad does suck.. an analog stick that you use with your thumb is the way to go.. you use your keyboard and i'll be tap dancing on your bloody remains.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    The gamepad is not ideal for this game, keyboard and mouse is. Even so, they do sell PS2-style controllers for the PC, why not get one of those rather than trying to jury rig something with a PS2 controller?

Leave a comment:

• replied

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by DarkMatrix
    @Crimson Sigil

There's a problem though: Gamepads where built, yes for video games, but video games from the Nintendo ages. Nothin better than a D-PAD for a 2D side scrolling adventure of course. But things have changed. We now live in an era of 3D games on PC, and the mouse and key-board where invented first for it. Because on a computer, the resolution is so much greater than grid-moving from the 2D side scrollers, that you need precision. Yes, a mouse is much much better than a little D-PAD or a control stick for the thumb. I've gone from 3D console shooters, to PC 3D shooters, and tried to go back, but it didn't work. You have only a mere fraction of spatial movment with a Gamepad compared to a mouse and keyboard.
    This all in FPS's of course, because, yes in other games like racing, adventure and sports, gamepads are good. I even have one, so there.
    Oh, I wouldn't ever try to aim with a gamepad in place of a mouse. (I remember trying to play Unreal Championship with the Xbox controller... guh.) It's using a keyboard for moving forward and backward and strafing left and right that I can't stand. For me, using my thumb to move in all directions and double-tapping the pad to dodge just feels more intuitive than trying to use four fingers on the keyboard to do the same job. That's why I use a gamepad in my left hand and a mouse in the right when I play.

Another idea I'm considering is to import one of those Japanese 'RPG controllers' and see if I can get it to work with my PC. (They're gamepads for hardcore RPG players, designed to be used one-handed so you can draw maps, write down clues, eat, or whatever, without having to pause your game.) The controller's shaped like a pistol grip, so that when you hold it, your thumb is resting on the directional pad, and you can reach all the buttons on the grip comfortably with your fingers. With something like that in my left hand (to replace the Sidewinder I'm using now) and the mouse in my right, I think I'd be set.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    @Crimson Sigil

There's a problem though: Gamepads where built, yes for video games, but video games from the Nintendo ages. Nothin better than a D-PAD for a 2D side scrolling adventure of course. But things have changed. We now live in an era of 3D games on PC, and the mouse and key-board where invented first for it. Because on a computer, the resolution is so much greater than grid-moving from the 2D side scrollers, that you need precision. Yes, a mouse is much much better than a little D-PAD or a control stick for the thumb. I've gone from 3D console shooters, to PC 3D shooters, and tried to go back, but it didn't work. You have only a mere fraction of spatial movment with a Gamepad compared to a mouse and keyboard.
    This all in FPS's of course, because, yes in other games like racing, adventure and sports, gamepads are good. I even have one, so there.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I don't care whether or not a keyboard and mouse were designed from the outset to be the best device for playing FPS games on, but they're the best things out there right now and they cost nothing extra for PC or Mac users. They're better than any controller I've played on though controllers can be used for FPS games too.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X