Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible to use a Playstation controller in UT with USB adapter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's possible to paint an elephant pink and make it jump out of a plane w/ parachute, but... why would you do it?

Comment

Originally posted by DarkMatrix
      It's possible to paint an elephant pink and make it jump out of a plane w/ parachute, but... why would you do it?
      I remember reading about a paraplegic who taught himself to paint by holding the brush in his teeth. After a lot of practice, he was able to turn out some pretty nice artwork, even by the standards of conventional painters. Does this mean that everyone who wants to be an artist ought to give up using their hands and learn to paint with their mouths instead?

Keyboards were never intended to be game input devices. (I doubt the creator of the typewriter ever imagined someone using it to play Unreal Tournament.) You can learn to use a keyboard in that capacity, sure. You can even do extraordinary things with it, after enough practice. That doesn't change the fact that it's more cumbersome to use than a gamepad, something that was designed for playing games.

Like I said before, I think all we need now is a gamepad designed for FPS's. Not one of these mini-keyboard things, but something with an analog stick for movement, a trackball for aiming, and a bunch of conveniently-placed buttons. (Microsoft would be smart to do something like that for the Xbox 2, actually, considering how big a role FPS's are playing in the Xbox lineup.)

Comment

Ah yes, to the rescue again...

Still not satisfied? Try this:

This device is a mixed bag, fun, but you still wont be at your full potential.

I had a thread going on about this thing a while ago, but its gone now since the forums were cleaned...

Comment

Originally posted by Whumpmaster
          I dunno, theres just a different feeling with controllers. You know like you dont have to be at your desk. With a controller you can curl up with a blanket and play a scary game. Or you can sit close to the T.V biting your tongue with such intensity. I dont regret for a second buying that Playstation controller and the adapter. It's alot of fun and when I connect my pc to my tv I get the sense I'm playing a console. I feel like I'm getting the best of both worlds!

btw, I have that Nostromo gamepad, it isn't that great and I never use it. All it is, is a simplified keyboard, that will never replace my black Logitech Elite and my MX500.

+

=

Pure Gaming Bliss
          ya plus less chances of you getting rsi or Carple tunnels whatever u call it syndrome.. not to mention some mods might play better with a controller then a keyboard/mouse blah blah.

Comment

Re: Ah yes, to the rescue again...

Originally posted by C.Caveman
            Still not satisfied? Try this:

This device is a mixed bag, fun, but you still wont be at your full potential.

I had a thread going on about this thing a while ago, but its gone now since the forums were cleaned...

I actually picked up one of those, but twisting the whole right-hand side of the thing around to aim felt really cumbersome. :bulb: Maybe I ought to see if I can gut a trackball and one of those cheap USB Dual Shock clones, then Frankenstein the kind of controller I'm envisioning out of the parts...

Comment

It's possible to paint an elephant pink and make it jump out of a plane w/ parachute . . .
              :up:

Comment

I don't care whether or not a keyboard and mouse were designed from the outset to be the best device for playing FPS games on, but they're the best things out there right now and they cost nothing extra for PC or Mac users. They're better than any controller I've played on though controllers can be used for FPS games too.

Comment

@Crimson Sigil

There's a problem though: Gamepads where built, yes for video games, but video games from the Nintendo ages. Nothin better than a D-PAD for a 2D side scrolling adventure of course. But things have changed. We now live in an era of 3D games on PC, and the mouse and key-board where invented first for it. Because on a computer, the resolution is so much greater than grid-moving from the 2D side scrollers, that you need precision. Yes, a mouse is much much better than a little D-PAD or a control stick for the thumb. I've gone from 3D console shooters, to PC 3D shooters, and tried to go back, but it didn't work. You have only a mere fraction of spatial movment with a Gamepad compared to a mouse and keyboard.
                  This all in FPS's of course, because, yes in other games like racing, adventure and sports, gamepads are good. I even have one, so there.

Comment

@Crimson Sigil

There's a problem though: Gamepads where built, yes for video games, but video games from the Nintendo ages. Nothin better than a D-PAD for a 2D side scrolling adventure of course. But things have changed. We now live in an era of 3D games on PC, and the mouse and key-board where invented first for it. Because on a computer, the resolution is so much greater than grid-moving from the 2D side scrollers, that you need precision. Yes, a mouse is much much better than a little D-PAD or a control stick for the thumb. I've gone from 3D console shooters, to PC 3D shooters, and tried to go back, but it didn't work. You have only a mere fraction of spatial movment with a Gamepad compared to a mouse and keyboard.
                    This all in FPS's of course, because, yes in other games like racing, adventure and sports, gamepads are good. I even have one, so there.
                    Oh, I wouldn't ever try to aim with a gamepad in place of a mouse. (I remember trying to play Unreal Championship with the Xbox controller... guh.) It's using a keyboard for moving forward and backward and strafing left and right that I can't stand. For me, using my thumb to move in all directions and double-tapping the pad to dodge just feels more intuitive than trying to use four fingers on the keyboard to do the same job. That's why I use a gamepad in my left hand and a mouse in the right when I play.

Another idea I'm considering is to import one of those Japanese 'RPG controllers' and see if I can get it to work with my PC. (They're gamepads for hardcore RPG players, designed to be used one-handed so you can draw maps, write down clues, eat, or whatever, without having to pause your game.) The controller's shaped like a pistol grip, so that when you hold it, your thumb is resting on the directional pad, and you can reach all the buttons on the grip comfortably with your fingers. With something like that in my left hand (to replace the Sidewinder I'm using now) and the mouse in my right, I think I'd be set.

Comment

analog in your left.. mouse in your right = Unstoppable!

Comment

The gamepad is not ideal for this game, keyboard and mouse is. Even so, they do sell PS2-style controllers for the PC, why not get one of those rather than trying to jury rig something with a PS2 controller?

Comment

you're all missing the point.. that a game pad with a regular d-pad does suck.. an analog stick that you use with your thumb is the way to go.. you use your keyboard and i'll be tap dancing on your bloody remains.

Comment

*didn't read topic through*

Yes, you can. My adapter treats the controllers as two joysticks, and those can be used.

Comment

Originally posted by HeadsWillRoll
                              Why you bumping old threads:bulb:

Comment

Originally posted by HeadsWillRoll
                                roger that red leader!:up:

Comment

Working...
                                X