What sound card do you have?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Motherboard-integrated Sound Blaster Live! 7.1.

It's okay, but it really sounds crappy at full sound acceleration in UT2004. Kicks the **** out of the AC'97 audio in the next room though easily at any settings.

Might get an Audigy 2 ZS with my next upgrade.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I had an AC'97 integrated that gave me nothing but problems (speakers would not configure properly, buzzing at high volume, etc...).

Got an Audigy 2, and have had NO problems since.:up:

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I gots me a Audigy2 ZS.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I had a Vortex 2 soundcard... those were the ****.

What Logy said is true. A3D 2 was FAR ahead of its time.

What bothers me about 3d sound no-adays, is that you can tell where someone is through an "acoustically solid" wall.

Example:

Nevermind that 10foot thick concrete wall separating you and your foe... just listen to his gunshots and triangulate his position.

In the real world, it would sound like he was coming from another direction due to the sound reflecting off other walls, and finding you through the free path the sound travels.

BULL$hit. Creative should go to hell for squashing that technology, it was superior... and Deserves to be brought back.

**** Creative.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    NVIDIA SOUNDSTORM

Hooked up to Z-680's.

Too bad Nvidia killed it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I've got two Event Darla 20bit soundcards in my machine - giving me a total of 16 seperate outputs. (and 4 in) One I bought originally for £300 quid and the other I bought of Ebay a few months back for £22!!!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by nl^
    How do you do this [use mutliple sb's]? I have onboard and an Audigy 2
    Enable them both (e.g. in the bios) and configure the card you wish UT2k4 to play sound to as the primary card. You can do this by going to the Audio Tab of the Sounds and Audio devices Properties (Control Panel -> Sounds and Audio Devices -> Audio). Now check if sound still works in UT. You might have to check "System Driver" in UT2k4's Audio Settings.

Now, to use Winamp (5 in my case) to play music using the other sound card press CTRL+P in Winamp; this will bring up the preferences screen. Now go to the output settings and select "DirectSound output" and press Configure. Now go to the device tab and select your secondary sb.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    AC' 97 onboard.

Shame I wasn't able to snatch an Nforce 2 with Soundstorm, heard it's good stuff; but what I have now does the job just fine.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    sb audigy zs2 7.1 with inspire t7700 speakers

Leave a comment:

• replied
    All this talk of A3D and sound positioning is absolutly worthless with ****ty CD-quality sounds. Quite frankly, the fault lies with the DEVELOPERS (Epic included), who insist on using terrible, terrible 16-bit, 44.1 khz sound farts for their games. No amount of good soundcards will fix this problem. Once 24-bit, 96/192khz is the bare minimum, then a sound card will really start to matter.

To be honest, the only game out there that has ever had good sound quality from a technical standpoint is Half Life 2, but even then I can tell that they took a detour and recorded everything at 16 bit.

Basically, the advanced effects such as wave tracing, occlusion, sound shading, doppler effect, will mean something in a couple hundred years at the rate that audio advancement is going, but dont hold your breath, for now, playing UT on a 5.1 system is like having 5 cellphones and a subwoofer.

However, if you use anything other than an Audigy 2 ZS, I'd recommend just playing without sound.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I use the 7.1 audio on my mobo. It eats into my CPU a bit, but its an A64 so I got cycles to spare.

I got a SB 5.1 Audigy Gamer sitting in a box if I ever need it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I'm not an audiophile so I use my onboard 7.1. I hear some strange noises coming out of my speakers from time to time but it's all right.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Onboard AC'97 with Logitech z2200 speakers.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by KriLL3.2™
    Audigy 2 ZS

AC 97 and other integrated soultions are pos.. CPU based emulation is required.. generaly uses alot of CPU power.
    So, what is a good sound card then for a poor dude? :bulb:

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Logy
    Thank you sir.

The story was dirtier than I thought possible.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X