• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zoeff
    Audigy 2 ... more than enough for me
    Same ^^ but the Platinum model .. i need the front controls

Comment

Audigy 2 ZS with Klipsch Pro Media Audio 5.1.

Is there an advantage of having a 96 KHz sample rate as opposed to a 48 KHz sample rate?

Comment

Right now, I'm running an M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 card, through a Samson Servo 250, and Samson Resolv 65 studio monitors.

My NEXT sound card will likely be a MOTU 828 MKII, paired with Mackie 824 powered monitors. Or maybe an RME fireface, with the same speaks.

.....yes. Oh, yes.

The $2200 or so that will set me back, it should be noted, is due to the fact that my machine is mainly used for home recording....obviously that sort of money isnt needed for good gaming sound ( its icing on the cake that I can still run games on it, I can't commit to making a single-purpose machine out of my pc. )

Needless to say, UT sounds pretty **** good.

As far as recommendations, the top of the line Logitechs or Klipsch, along w/ "most" onboard soundcards would probably be pretty good for gaming.

Comment

Is there an advantage of having a 96 KHz sample rate as opposed to a 48 KHz sample rate?
          Doubtful for almost all situations. It really depends on the sample rate the game can put out. CD quality is 16 bit, 44.1khz. Once you get into things like digital audio cd's and DVD-A, then 96khz becomes an issue (but again dependent on the player).

Comment

Originally posted by aTourist
            Time to start again the discussion about differences between A3D and EAX. Why did Aureal loose the battle :cry: . With these cpus it should not be a problem anymore.
            A3D 2 was Aureal's API for their Vortex2 sound chip. The thing that was special about the Vortex2 is that it had hardware-accelerated HRTF (Head-related transfer functions), which is a way of signal processing to make it seem as though sound is coming from all around you, rather than from the speakers in front of you (or headphones).

In addition, it included audio "wave tracing", i.e. echoes from surfaces, and occlusion, i.e. sounds being muffled by objects between the listener and the source.

As an owner of a Vortex2-based sound card, I can tell you that A3D 2 kicks EAX in the nuts, then runs it over with a dump truck while EAX lies there trying to figure out what happened.

EAX is mainly a bunch of varied reverb algolrithms. They have improved it over the years, but they still don't have anything like Aureal's HRTF.

I used to play Counter Strike (quiet, you!) with my headphones and my Vortex 2, and I started to feel guilty, like I was cheating, because I could easily tell player's locations by the sound of their footsteps.

"But why," you ask, "if A3D was so cool, did Aureal fold like a cheap suit?"

Superior technology doesn't always guarantee marketplace dominace, unfortunately.

Aureal apparently wasn't very good at working with developers to get their technology implemented, so only a handful of games used it. Half-Life was the only game I had that really did a good job of using A3D 2. So they probably would have gone under, anyway.

But the kicker is this: Creative Labs, being a bunch of fetid swine, decided to compete with Aureal in what has become the Great American Way: Forget about improving your products, and sue your competitor into oblivion.

So Creative sued Aureal for patent infringment, tying them up in court for a year or two. Aureal (a much smaller company than Creative) eventually won the legal battle, but they burned up something like 50% of their last year's income on legal fees, and filed for bankruptcy.

Then, of course, Creative BOUGHT Aureal, and promptly buried their technology.

"But why," you ask, "if the technology was so cool, didn't Creative use it?"

Here's a conspiracy theory for you:

Around the same time Creative was suing the pants off Aureal, Creative also bought Cambridge Sound Works, the speaker manufacturers. And selling a technology that gets awesome results with only two speakers is no way to make an assload of money from your speaker-making aquisition. So instead Creative starts making cards that support five, six, seven speakers or more. BUY MORE SPEAKERS, YOU FOOLS!

So everybody thinks Dubly®™ 13.1 is the sexiest tech ever, and HRTF languishes far in the background. I guess Sensaura markets an HRTF tech that some non-Creative cards use, but AFAIK, it is not as good as Aureal's, and it's software-based, so it exacts a high toll on your CPU when gaming.

This is bad news for people like me who have neither the space, nor the inclination to set up 7.1 speakers around my computer desk, and prefer playing in headphones.

So it goes.

And that... is the rest of the story.

I'm Paul Harvey. Good day.

Comment

Audigy 2.

A great card.

Comment

Originally posted by Logy
                Thank you sir.

The story was dirtier than I thought possible.

Comment

Originally posted by KriLL3.2™
                  Audigy 2 ZS

AC 97 and other integrated soultions are pos.. CPU based emulation is required.. generaly uses alot of CPU power.
                  So, what is a good sound card then for a poor dude? :bulb:

Comment

Onboard AC'97 with Logitech z2200 speakers.

Comment

I'm not an audiophile so I use my onboard 7.1. I hear some strange noises coming out of my speakers from time to time but it's all right.

Comment

I use the 7.1 audio on my mobo. It eats into my CPU a bit, but its an A64 so I got cycles to spare.

I got a SB 5.1 Audigy Gamer sitting in a box if I ever need it.

Comment

All this talk of A3D and sound positioning is absolutly worthless with ****ty CD-quality sounds. Quite frankly, the fault lies with the DEVELOPERS (Epic included), who insist on using terrible, terrible 16-bit, 44.1 khz sound farts for their games. No amount of good soundcards will fix this problem. Once 24-bit, 96/192khz is the bare minimum, then a sound card will really start to matter.

To be honest, the only game out there that has ever had good sound quality from a technical standpoint is Half Life 2, but even then I can tell that they took a detour and recorded everything at 16 bit.

Basically, the advanced effects such as wave tracing, occlusion, sound shading, doppler effect, will mean something in a couple hundred years at the rate that audio advancement is going, but dont hold your breath, for now, playing UT on a 5.1 system is like having 5 cellphones and a subwoofer.

However, if you use anything other than an Audigy 2 ZS, I'd recommend just playing without sound.

Comment

sb audigy zs2 7.1 with inspire t7700 speakers

Comment

AC' 97 onboard.

Shame I wasn't able to snatch an Nforce 2 with Soundstorm, heard it's good stuff; but what I have now does the job just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by nl^
                                How do you do this [use mutliple sb's]? I have onboard and an Audigy 2
                                Enable them both (e.g. in the bios) and configure the card you wish UT2k4 to play sound to as the primary card. You can do this by going to the Audio Tab of the Sounds and Audio devices Properties (Control Panel -> Sounds and Audio Devices -> Audio). Now check if sound still works in UT. You might have to check "System Driver" in UT2k4's Audio Settings.

Now, to use Winamp (5 in my case) to play music using the other sound card press CTRL+P in Winamp; this will bring up the preferences screen. Now go to the output settings and select "DirectSound output" and press Configure. Now go to the device tab and select your secondary sb.

Comment

Working...
                                X