No announcement yet.

MX500 Mouse DPI Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have felt negative acceleration in the past with another logitech mouse, but I use the latest mousewhere drivers and I use the advanced utiltiy and I don't feel any negative acceleration at all with my mx 500, I use the usb to PS2 adapter and my mouse moves very smooth in UT2k3. I also used that registry change and it's pretty nice.

Comment

Youcan remove the weight, but kep in mind that the weight is actually one of the good things of logitech, it balances the mouse when picking it up.

With the default 'Precision' setting, you actually get the exact opposite: mouse input averaging, which also gives you inverted mouse acceleration. <- that is so true

Comment

I think I will have to try using the speed option and see if it's even better then it is .

So far I don't know how I feel with the weight out, I think it will take some getting used to.

Comment

PS/2(40Hz, default): always jerky mouse movement
          PS/2 (200Hz, overclocked): sometimes jerky
          USB(125Hz, default): always smooth

The USB runs with a constant rate. That’s the big advantage compared to the old PS/2 technology. PS/2 frequency tends to jump, and to jump very significant. And stability is all in FPS. Easy to see in every test program like PS/2 rate adjuster f.e.

As for the Precision vs. Speed setting, most certainly the "speed" setting just forces 400dpi, hence no inverted acceleration anymore.

Comment

How can I verify what DPI I am running, and do I have the ability to even attain 800dpi using the Ps2 adapter?

Comment

Originally posted by Gaal Dornik
              As for the Precision vs. Speed setting, most certainly the "speed" setting just forces 400dpi, hence no inverted acceleration anymore.
              I think you got that backward. I think the Precision setting uses averaging to achieve 800 DPI, and that the core technology only can handle 400 DPI.

In other words, you can choose between fake 800 DPI with inverted mouse acceleration, or real 400 DPI without any alterations (except scaling) to the input stream.

Try both and pick what you like. I definitely prever the 'Speed' setting. In fact, the only reason the Precision setting is there as I can see is to allow Logitech to brag about 800 DPI (which as I said, is fake).

/Kronon

Comment

hmm

I changed the value from 0 to 8, and I dont notice a difference at all.

Comment

Re: Re: hmm

Originally posted by D-Z
                  I didn't either.
                  I changed the values and noticed no change either.

I just got this mouse and will probably just put it on the older rig I have. The mouse jitters and jumps when on web pages, jitters in a game, on some web pages I can't wheel-scroll at all :bulb:, and if I don't use the logitech drivers seems like I lose 3 buttons.

I like the feel of the mouse and the way it form fits my hand, but the drivers are not very good.

Comment

Originally posted by ImJacksAmygdala
                    How can I verify what DPI I am running, and do I have the ability to even attain 800dpi using the Ps2 adapter?
                    Hz and DPI, while both affect precision, are un-related. When you're talking about USB or Ps2, Hz is the number of times per second your computer checks to see if there has been any mouse movement. Your mouse also has it's own native Hz, which is the number of pictures/second the optical lense takes. Don't be mislead by claims of mice running at 4 bazillion Hz, anything over 200 gets thrown out, thats the limit in Windows. There are however, hacks for Linux to get USB running @ 500Hz.

DPI is the resolution of the mouses optical lense. It represents number of possible points, per square inch, that your mouse can land on. The higher the DPI, the more precise your mouse is, the higher the Hz, the quicker it responds.

Using a Ps2 adapter for a USB mouse will not limit your DPI in any way, but the change in Hz will have a noticeable affect your precision. Personally I like USB better, it feels more smooth and even. If you got a woody for ps2 then download PS2 Rate and OC it to 200Hz.

Comment

Originally posted by Kronon
                      I think you got that backward. I think the Precision setting uses averaging to achieve 800 DPI, and that the core technology only can handle 400 DPI.

/Kronon
                      This makes sence.
                      Looks like the whole smoothing algorithm is not good, so they cannot fix it

Pathos
                      D-Z
                      frothlord

Did you use the mwadvanced_enu program? since it obviously overrides that value.

Comment

Originally posted by Gaal Dornik
                        This makes sence.
                        Looks like the whole smoothing algorithm is not good, so they cannot fix it

Pathos
                        D-Z
                        frothlord

Did you use the mwadvanced_enu program? since it obviously overrides that value.
                        Yes, I used it with and without. No difference either way. Not to mention the mouse is jittery and has other problems with the basic logitech drivers anyway.

Comment

-Turn off Windows mouse acceleration (Enhance pointer precision in XP)
                          Video card settings:
                          -VSync to always off
                          -Render x frame ahead set to zero
                          In game settings:
                          -Reduce mouse lag set to False

Comment

Originally posted by Pathos
                            Yes, I used it with and without. No difference either way. Not to mention the mouse is jittery and has other problems with the basic logitech drivers anyway.
                            When you say it jitters, do you mean without moving the mouse the pointer will jitter around sometimes? Hehe I thought I had a busted one.

Comment

Originally posted by BTCOMM
                              When you say it jitters, do you mean without moving the mouse the pointer will jitter around sometimes? Hehe I thought I had a busted one.
                              Yes it jitters.

In or out of a game. Not all the time, just enough to be annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by Pathos
                                Yes it jitters.

In or out of a game. Not all the time, just enough to be annoying.
                                Same here hehe, it can be a little annoying, doesn't happen too often luckily.

Comment

Working...
                                X