• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Unreal Engine 3 with better NETCODE that Unreal Engine 2 Pwns

Leave a comment:

• replied
    btw, does anybody have links to such interviews????

id REALLY like to see em

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Aaron M
    This ability will definetely be in the next engine - I have read on several occasions interviews with the developers saying that they have a system in place that can auto-populate specific inclines and slopes (among other things) with specific texture/terrain types. I am assuming they will also have lots of tools in place to let to edit the parameters of how this is applied.

I also agree they need to work on proper outdoor optimization, but I have faith that they are doing that
    cool, i have faith in epic too.

pimped outdoor terrain and optimization tools would solidify Unreal as engine of choice for many years to come.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by TseTse
    thus, any very steep slope could get a specific rock texture, and blend into a grassy texture at the top while blending into another texture at the lower angles.
    This ability will definetely be in the next engine - I have read on several occasions interviews with the developers saying that they have a system in place that can auto-populate specific inclines and slopes (among other things) with specific texture/terrain types. I am assuming they will also have lots of tools in place to let to edit the parameters of how this is applied.

I also agree they need to work on proper outdoor optimization, but I have faith that they are doing that

Leave a comment:

• replied
    umm, i watch fileplanet, game dev and general game new sites for what's going on. for stats i mostly rely on csports.net (gamespy at times, too).

boksha, have you made many large outdoor maps for unreal? i have. in fact, that's about all ive done with UED (ut2k, unreal2 and tribes). it's problematic.

i have also done level design in tribes, torque and battlefield. ive poked around with the crytek thing too. i LOVE unreal, but this is the big weakness by far.

what im talking about it how unreal as ive seen so far handles basic rendering and optimization. it's roots are in smaller scale bsp stuf, where antiportals and zones could take care of most optimization needs. outdoors optimization is an ENTIRELY different beast.

there's no reason the tools couldnt be better. there's no reason the occlussion couldnt be revamped to better suit outdoors oriented games. there's no reason the distance fog and terrain rendering couldnt be tweaked to be more subtle and state-of-the-art.

it wouldnt take much, perhaps besides whatever is involved with making terrain properly occlude within reason (that would do more for FPS than anything else). i suspect that is tricky, but things behind a huge mountain just should reneder and mappers shouldnt be putting a gazillion volumes/antiportals all over under terrains.

my two cents...
    I am guessing they will be optimized as well, seeing that untill ONS and Assult, we didn't even HAVE these large outdoor levels really. Now that Epic is looking at this Conquest gametype, Im sure outdoor, and terrian rendering/tools will get some attention. The reason why I think UT200X didn't have these, is look at UT2003s gametypes, how often did you have a map that needed terrian on a massive scale. The updates for UT2004 I don't think will be near the changes/updates Epic will make/have made for UE3.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Boksha
    That wasn't my question, really. My question was "Where do you look?".

Anyway, you have a point about MMORPGs, but the current incarnations of the UE have plenty of power for those in a graphical sense. If you want to suit MMORP type games, you'd probably be better off adjusting the netcode and code efficiency/redundancy (the current approach to player control would probably be WAY too CPU intense to support thousands of players on one server) to suit that.
    umm, i watch fileplanet, game dev and general game new sites for what's going on. for stats i mostly rely on csports.net (gamespy at times, too).

boksha, have you made many large outdoor maps for unreal? i have. in fact, that's about all ive done with UED (ut2k, unreal2 and tribes). it's problematic.

i have also done level design in tribes, torque and battlefield. ive poked around with the crytek thing too. i LOVE unreal, but this is the big weakness by far.

what im talking about it how unreal as ive seen so far handles basic rendering and optimization. it's roots are in smaller scale bsp stuf, where antiportals and zones could take care of most optimization needs. outdoors optimization is an ENTIRELY different beast.

there's no reason the tools couldnt be better. there's no reason the occlussion couldnt be revamped to better suit outdoors oriented games. there's no reason the distance fog and terrain rendering couldnt be tweaked to be more subtle and state-of-the-art.

it wouldnt take much, perhaps besides whatever is involved with making terrain properly occlude within reason (that would do more for FPS than anything else). i suspect that is tricky, but things behind a huge mountain just should NOT render and mappers shouldnt be putting a gazillion volumes/antiportals all over under terrains.

my two cents...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    HAHAHA, and it's by 3Drealms! "This one won't take that long, guys, we promise!"

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hold your horses guys, a new game has just been announced that will use the Doom 3 engine. Stop considering it dead.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/04...s_6121740.html

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by IndySkies
    I'd rather they stay afloat from producing/selling great games.

Indy :bulb:
    I'd think they'd need at least ONE fully complete game in order to really hawk the game engine.

And somehow I think that just might be.........Unreal Tournament!

People talk of the game dying - but I'd love to see the actual sales numbers...

Just because the online scene isn't what it was years ago doesn't mean the game wasn't a success...

All this development money has to be coming from somewhere...

Maybe from some product like, oh......... Unreal Tournament?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    im talking about the new games rolling out every month. most new FPS are not tight, indoors tactical shooters. and there is a LOT more going on than just FPS.
    That wasn't my question, really. My question was "Where do you look?".

Anyway, you have a point about MMORPGs, but the current incarnations of the UE have plenty of power for those in a graphical sense. If you want to suit MMORP type games, you'd probably be better off adjusting the netcode and code efficiency/redundancy (the current approach to player control would probably be WAY too CPU intense to support thousands of players on one server) to suit that.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Boksha
    Where exactly are you looking? The top 4 games (Counter-Strike, Call of Duty, RtCW:ET and MOHAA) are all pretty much small scale tactical shooters. Te get a feel for it, the engines those games run on (Q2 and Q3 engine derivatives) have pretty much the same support for large outdoor environments as the UE2 (much less, when it comes to the current #1, Counter-Strike, which runs on the Q2 engine IIRC)
    im talking about the new games rolling out every month. most new FPS are not tight, indoors tactical shooters. and there is a LOT more going on than just FPS.

if you dont see the landscape has changed, im not really interested in debating it.

epic is in business of making tech and selling it. the market is adapting and just offering indoor bsp optimization isnt gonna be sufficient.

heck, count the growth of MMOs... (and notice UE is a major player now)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Assuming CS still runs on the engine HL used, it's a derivative of the original Quake engine.

Regarding terrain occlusion, I don't think it's particularly optimal since it'd be occluding on a per poly basis. That's why the anti-portal approach was used for UE2.x. Much faster to oclcude using very low poly approximations than it is to occlude using the terrain polys. Whether UE3 has some better methods employed is something we don't yet know. I can think of one or two ways that might work out, but I'm sure Epic are way ahead anyway

Leave a comment:

• replied
    check csports.net and gamespy. outdoors, large scale environments are the norm now... not tightly zoned bsp areas.
    Where exactly are you looking? The top 4 games (Counter-Strike, Call of Duty, RtCW:ET and MOHAA) are all pretty much small scale tactical shooters. Te get a feel for it, the engines those games run on (Q2 and Q3 engine derivatives) have pretty much the same support for large outdoor environments as the UE2 (much less, when it comes to the current #1, Counter-Strike, which runs on the Q2 engine IIRC)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Renegade check ur pm.
    SRY FOR OT

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Xipher
    I see what you mean, basicly if the slope is fairly steap, it can automaticly apply a rock face to it (that about the idea?)
    yep.

in tribes2, for example, you can take 4 textures and give them all a range of slope to cover. you can then even independently change heightmaps using all kinds of sophisticated weathering operations and algorythms. you can edit the terrain heightfield by hand... and the textures would still map properly and realistically based on the sloping.

thus, any very steep slope could get a specific rock texture, and blend into a grassy texture at the top while blending into another texture at the lower angles.

for devs trying to make realistic outdoors terrains, this is a no brainer option since it cuts down on SO MUCH TIME and makes for instantly dazzling realistic terrains. you could still hand edit textures, but having a base done by such formulas really, realyl helps.

Originally posted by Xipher
    [*]realtime terrain editing tools allowing artists to elevate terrain, paint alpha layers onto terrain to control layer blending and decoration layers, collision data, and displacement maps.[/list]
    ill be happy when terrain will auto-occlude and render very smoothly in the distance (with nice distance fog instead of popping terrain against the sky box)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X