Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by swatX
    lmao doom3 PWNS .. btw its better than Unreal 2 and unrela 2006. How about do some logical thinking. When is Unreal 3 coming out? no one knows? When did doom3 come out? 2004. so you are talking about 2-3 year diffrence? let see.. wanna talk about doom4?

doom3 engine is being used by Quake IV and RTCW 2 which will be big hits in the future. nuff said.
    hey could you give me a copy of unreala 2006, because you seem to be the only person who has played it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Kr4zed
    Q3 engine source code has already been released.
    Quote from Carmacks Blog, Dated Dec. 31 2004
    Quake 3 Source

I intended to release the Q3 source under the GPL by the end of 2004, but we had another large technology licensing deal go through, and it would be poor form to make the source public a few months after a company paid hundreds of thousands of dollars for full rights to it. True, being public under the GPL isn’t the same as having a royalty free license without the need to disclose the source, but I’m pretty sure there would be some hard feelings.

Previous source code releases were held up until the last commercial license of the technology shipped, but with the evolving nature of game engines today, it is a lot less clear. There are still bits of early Quake code in Half Life 2, and the remaining licensees of Q3 technology intend to continue their internal developments along similar lines, so there probably won’t be nearly as sharp a cutoff as before. I am still committed to making as much source public as I can, and I won’t wait until the titles from the latest deal have actually shipped, but it is still going to be a little while before I feel comfortable doing the release.
    As I said, he hasn't released it yet, and he won't untill he feels okay with it. The only source avalible right now is what they make avalible for mods to work with, not the engine source.

lmao doom3 PWNS .. btw its better than Unreal 2 and unrela 2006. How about do some logical thinking. When is Unreal 3 coming out? no one knows? When did doom3 come out? 2004. so you are talking about 2-3 year diffrence? let see.. wanna talk about doom4?

doom3 engine is being used by Quake IV and RTCW 2 which will be big hits in the future. nuff said.
    Quit trolling.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    ...doom3 PWNS .. btw its better than Unreal 2 and unrela 2006.
    I never hear of Unreala 2006 (is it any good?).

BTW, we are talking Engines and the tools behind it. And the tools behind the id engines and the source engine are inferior when it comes to usability and productivity.
    The games are a matter of taste...

Leave a comment:

• replied

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Xipher
    Quake 3's source release is being delayed a bit, as some one decided to license it just a little bit before Carmack was going to release it, and he didn't want to feel bad by release it so soon after some one licensed it.
    Q3 engine source code has already been released.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by TseTse
    xray, reality engine, crytek, tse...

folks can debate the technicalities till we are all blue in the face, but what UE/3 has is solid, tested TOOLS.

And balls! :up:

(Yes, i'm just another unreal-fanboy )

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Mad Danny
    mm.. gravity zoning, camera polygons, the ability to render like 400+ monsters onscreen at once - in terms of easy-to-use engine features, this is the only thing that could really compete with UE3 for versatility
    xray, reality engine, crytek, tse...

folks can debate the technicalities till we are all blue in the face, but what UE/3 has is solid, tested TOOLS.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    You forget:

Serious Engine 2
    mm.. gravity zoning, camera polygons, the ability to render like 400+ monsters onscreen at once - in terms of easy-to-use engine features, this is the only thing that could really compete with UE3 for versatility

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by placebo
    Wasn't there some kind of vampire game on Source?
    Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by IndySkies
    I'd rather they stay afloat from producing/selling great games.

Indy :bulb:
    well, sure...

but let's be realistic.

in 2002, of the top 300 selling console games a grand total of 13 were original titles/brands. of those 14 only 4 were profitable.

it is a NASTY industry where small fries dont have much room for innovative game design anymore.

so, beware what you wish for. most of those just "getting by" from game sales are doing it at the complete whim of the publishers. likewise, publishers will be less and less inclined to use external intellectual property for game investment.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    id much rather have the valves, epics and id games of the industry able to stay afloat from technology royalties rather than begging for deals from Atari, Vivendi, EA, UbiSoft, etc.
    I'd rather they stay afloat from producing/selling great games.

Indy :bulb:

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Xipher
    ids had that for a few years now (actually, quite some time).
    i give them a LOT of credit, myself, for the wolfenstein series including... a FREE GAME.

could id games have made a FREE GAME without this cash flow?

likewise, valve wouldnt even exist if not for fatty's private bank book filled with microsoft blood money.

id much rather have the valves, epics and id games of the industry able to stay afloat from technology royalties rather than begging for deals from Atari, Vivendi, EA, UbiSoft, etc.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    that's the good news, imo.

why bother making a game? they are rollign in cash...

well, BECAUSE THEY ARE GAME DEVS AND LIKE MAKING GAMES.

not only can they make what they want, without a lot of the stress most small companies deal with (publisher $$, oversight and control)... they can even hand out cool ideas and projects to OTHER companies (scion, etc) and work with them.

you cant get it much better than epic has it...
    ids had that for a few years now (actually, quite some time).

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by IndySkies
    Doesn't all this mean that Epic will move away from releasing games, and concentrate more and more on selling the engine licenses.

If they can generate this much interest/revenue in licensing the engine from a tech demo or two, why bother making a game?

Indy
    that's the good news, imo.

why bother making a game? they are rollign in cash...

well, BECAUSE THEY ARE GAME DEVS AND LIKE MAKING GAMES.

not only can they make what they want, without a lot of the stress most small companies deal with (publisher $$, oversight and control)... they can even hand out cool ideas and projects to OTHER companies (scion, etc) and work with them.

you cant get it much better than epic has it...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Doesn't all this mean that Epic will move away from releasing games, and concentrate more and more on selling the engine licenses.

If they can generate this much interest/revenue in licensing the engine from a tech demo or two, why bother making a game?

Indy

Leave a comment:

Working...
X