The early success of the Unreal Engine 3 - incredible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    It is kind of true what was said about Doom3 arriving 2-3 years before UE3 - many companies will snap up the UE3 because by the time they have truly started work on their new games, UE3 will be much better and be the current 'flavour of the month'. The only reason D3 (IMO) hasnt been taken by many more is because it is a current engine and may well end up looking dated alongside the UE3, which lets not forget, will have had an extra 2-3 years development.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    but Doom3 came out at a time when not many people could run it, and it wasn't that impressive to start with.
    However- the sound engine kix the Unreal 1+2 engines in da balls. I dont know about Unreal 3, but I'm pessimisstic. I wont accept anything less than full 24 bit/192 khz recordings, and zero support for 16 bit files.

I wish that the UE3 took up the best aspects of other engines, like Cryteks foliage rendering.

Also, I like Source engine, but it only looked good in Half Life 2, quite complimenting for the best game of all time.:up: Buuuut in the Vampire game, it looked ahem....****ty.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by suibhne
    That "unannounced game" is widely assumed to be Arx Fatalis 2, another RPG.

This thread is also missing any mention of the successful Gamebryo engine, whose recent and upcoming games include titles like Empire Earth II, Pirates!, Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, and Freedom Force vs. The Third Reich.
    well, cuz there are a lot of engines that just arent great for FPS.

nevrax's open source engine is also a great example.

and gosh, too bad EA wont be licensing the BF2 engine

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by placebo
    Remember when Doom 3 was the huge thing, and everybody couldn't wait for it to come out, and then it came out, and people were kinda dissapointed, but they all said "This is only a tech demo by id; the real big thing will be all the awesome games based on it!"

So far, the only Doom 3 based games that aren't Doom 3 are, um, Doom 3 for Xbox and Doom 3 - Resurrection of Evil. The only planned ones I know of are Quake IV, from, um, id software.

So successful.

Meanwhile, we see Unreal Engine 3 licenses being snapped up left and right from everyone from Bioware to Timegate to Midway, and it's getting quicker by the month.

And the Unreal Engine 3 isn't even finished yet! Is it true that a fifteen-minute walkthrough of a corridor with cubes in it and a few screenshots can be more successful than a horror game that took years to develop with a huge budget, and got a 90% or higher in many magazines?

Evidently it is.
    PWNAGE!!!! :up:

Cool thread, btw. :up:

Wish I could give some cool input. (But I know nuuuuuuuuthing. :noob:)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by da ghost
    sooo...what engine is and/or was duke nukem forever running? and when teh F$%^ is it coming out? :haha:
    A highly modified version of UnrealEngine2. They messed so much with it that you can hardly call it UnrealEngine2. Or at least that is what they say. (And considering the time they have been playing with the engine is could be true)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Varsity
    Vampires: Bloodline (RPG), Twilight War (MMORPG), an unnaounced game by Arkane Studios, and then all of Valve's future games including TF2 which don't really count.
    That "unannounced game" is widely assumed to be Arx Fatalis 2, another RPG.

This thread is also missing any mention of the successful Gamebryo engine, whose recent and upcoming games include titles like Empire Earth II, Pirates!, Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, and Freedom Force vs. The Third Reich.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    It was originally Unreal1... so I'm guessing they are going to stick with Unreal tech.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    sooo...what engine is and/or was duke nukem forever running? and when teh F$%^ is it coming out? :haha:
    I thought it was D3, actually.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    it's the unreal engine

Leave a comment:

• replied

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hello again.
    Originally posted by Capt.fuegerstef
    And I only know one game beyond that game in City 17 that uses the "soooo incredible" Source Engine. Perhaps there are more... ...but I think that this Engine was technically a huge letdown after all that hype.
    Vampires: Bloodline (RPG), Twilight War (MMORPG), an unnaounced game by Arkane Studios, and then all of Valve's future games including TF2 which don't really count.

But yeah, UE has always been the most licensed engine. It's just tradition.

mm.. gravity zoning, camera polygons, the ability to render like 400+ monsters onscreen at once - in terms of easy-to-use engine features, this is the only thing that could really compete with UE3 for versatility
    What has that to do with versatility?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by TseTse
    xray, reality engine, crytek, tse...

folks can debate the technicalities till we are all blue in the face, but what UE/3 has is solid, tested TOOLS.
    Actually, the original Serious Sam games had a very friendly map editor, an easy to use model importer and enemy programming option. It just wasn't as powerful or well known as other engines of it's time.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Princess_Frosty
    The unreal 3 engine is probably going to nativly run on the X$hite and X$hite2 which means that game publishers are going to keep on going.

"WAIT A COTTEN PICKIN' MINUTE, if we produce our new fantastic PC game on this here engine we can also sell it on the Xbox...But oh...wait the Xbox will run it like utter crud so we better dumb everything down make sure we make use of lots of daft effects so it runs like pants on the PC and looks 20x worse."

Theres been all too many games made on the unreal engine recently which have been console crossovers and they run **** and they look **** and they play like a console game, and its really starting to **** me off quite frankly.

I hope this trend does not continue, otherwise I might have to murder every single Microsoft employee for coming up with that confounded contraption. Sigh. :down:
    Someone hasn't done their reserch, or really is just a ****ing idiot.
    If you've read any of the stuff about UED3 then you would have already known that it was being completely optimized for the X-box console.. That doesn't mean it's going to run like **** on the PC.. It just means there going to have a bit specifically for the console.

Midway is also very well known.. You think they're going to let some piece of **** come out in their name? I don't ****ing think so, so stfu.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by chimbaktu
    hey could you give me a copy of unreala 2006, because you seem to be the only person who has played it.
    http://forum.tweak.pl/index.php?show...ded&show=&st=&
    first reply : "unreala 3" is talked about.

oh and UE3 is successful cause it pwns all

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Just FYI:
    Soldier of Fortune III will use the Doom 3 engine.

I thought I should mention it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X