Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The early success of the Unreal Engine 3 - incredible

Originally posted by placebo
    So far, the only Doom 3 based games that aren't Doom 3 are, um, Doom 3 for Xbox and Doom 3 - Resurrection of Evil. The only planned ones I know of are Quake IV, from, um, id software.
    Quake 4 is getting developed by raven software actually.

<3 UE3.0

Comment

Re: Re: The early success of the Unreal Engine 3 - incredible

Originally posted by ninja`mcnuggets
      Quake 4 is getting developed by raven software actually.
      From what I understand, Raven's pretty much a daughter company of iD. 'sides, it's not as if they had much choice of an engine. Quake4 with an engine developed by Epic would be a laugh.

Comment

Yeah, Raven is practically a subdivision of id, and even if it wasn't, id will be publishing it.

Comment

Re: The early success of the Unreal Engine 3 - incredible

So far, the only Doom 3 based games that aren't Doom 3 are, um, Doom 3 for Xbox and Doom 3 - Resurrection of Evil. The only planned ones I know of are Quake IV, from, um, id software.
          Isn´t Quake 4 made by Raven?

But yeah, UE 3.0 sounds and looks so awesome. But do we know if we get dissapointed or not? No...

Comment

Oh.

Comment

Sorry, but if it took most of us only a few screenshots to get psyched about ENVY and UE3, it's going to blow us away when we play it.

Comment

Originally posted by NachoUK
                I think that Epic have spotted a fantastic opportunity opening up with the next generation consoles on the way, and they are ready to royally exploit it.

Practically every publisher and developer has said that next gen games are going to cost them a LOT more. Epic knows this and have developed the UE3 to coincide with this next gen hardware. By providing a stunning next gen engine along with kismet scripting engine and other useful tools, they are going to make creation of next gen games shed loads easier (and cheaper!) for the struggling developers both for Xbox and the PC.

They have the ultimate piece of middleware on their hands, and they make awesome games to boot. I see good things for Epic if they carry on as they are doing...
                I agree

Think we are going to see some really exciting things coming from this engine

Comment

If Doom3 came out a year before it did I think it would have done much better. I seen the leaked version and said "WOW". It was the best looking game out. But by the time it was finished it didn't seem as cool and almost lacking for a game with the name "DOOM".

Comment

Sorry, but if it took most of us only a few screenshots to get psyched about ENVY and UE3, it's going to blow us away when we play it.
                    When I look at the screenshots on the back of a game´s box, they look really good compared to the real game.

Business.

But it´s really fog around UE 3.0 like all engines before they get released.

I got blown away by D3 engine but the actual game had very plastic metal and only looks good in dark as far as I know.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt.fuegerstef
                      And I only know one game beyond that game in City 17 that uses the "soooo incredible" Source Engine. Perhaps there are more... ...but I think that this Engine was technically a huge letdown after all that hype.
                      agreed (ive been thinking about this for a long time now), that white wolf Vampire rpg game came out soon after HL2 with the source engine.... and there really hasnt been anything.

Epic set themselves up for sure. Valve will have to play catch up, or hope and pray thier xpansions and mods can support them. But at some point they will have to tap into the console market.

Source
                      Doom3
                      Crytek

where are the games?

the only exception is of course torque which has a handful of games using it.

Not to mention the new BF2 tools are going to spawn about x20 the mods bf42 did.

Comment

You forget:

Serious Engine 2
                        Reality Engine (what a great name)

And Torque is an ancient engine.

Comment

Judging from a technology standpoint, the UE3 engine is impressive but I believe the early success is due to its perfect timing. X-box2 is around the corner and UE3 couldn't have been developed or still in progess at a better time...

Comment

Originally posted by Wormbo

Also, did you try out that official Q3 level editor? I think it sucks compared to UnrealEd 2/3.
                            Yes, I did take a look at the Doom3 editor, and you are right.
                            It's nowhere near as user-friendly as UnrealEd. Plus add to
                            the fact that UnrealEd has been given a slight facelift for UE3
                            to make it even more user-friendly and it's no wonder that
                            game developers are jumping all over it.

Comment

Originally posted by El_Muerte_[TDS]

Serious Engine 2
                              Argh, i'm going to keep thinking about Serious Sam 2 now, i want that game! :cry:

Still want Envy more though of course

Comment

i think it's because of the great unreal engines before (1, 2, 2.5...)
                                and the fact that UE3 is aiming for the FUTURE, while still being able to run on "low-end" rigs shows that this engine will be reliable and "easy-to-use", making the games will take less than 6 years and have great quality.

Comment

Working...
                                X