The early success of the Unreal Engine 3 - incredible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The early success of the Unreal Engine 3 - incredible

Remember when Doom 3 was the huge thing, and everybody couldn't wait for it to come out, and then it came out, and people were kinda dissapointed, but they all said "This is only a tech demo by id; the real big thing will be all the awesome games based on it!"

So far, the only Doom 3 based games that aren't Doom 3 are, um, Doom 3 for Xbox and Doom 3 - Resurrection of Evil. The only planned ones I know of are Quake IV, from, um, id software.

So successful.

Meanwhile, we see Unreal Engine 3 licenses being snapped up left and right from everyone from Bioware to Timegate to Midway, and it's getting quicker by the month.

And the Unreal Engine 3 isn't even finished yet! Is it true that a fifteen-minute walkthrough of a corridor with cubes in it and a few screenshots can be more successful than a horror game that took years to develop with a huge budget, and got a 90% or higher in many magazines?

Evidently it is.

So basically, to summarize: Unreal Engine 3 Pwns.

Comment

**** straight, but it's just amazing that it's being this successful, especially so early in its development.

Comment

Originally posted by Slainchild
        So basically, to summarize: Unreal Engine 3 Pwns.
        Indeed.

Comment

I think the fact that they are working on the authoring tools to make it easier to produce the games/content. That is what the current engine has issues with. Think if it was as 'easy' to make an assault map as it is to make a DM map. Then make it all easier. That is what I am hoping for. It really looks like Epic is working hard to be the dominant (dominating) 3d engine. This looks like the perfect time for someone to take a big piece of the pie.

If they can make it scale well from todays (yesterdays) hardware, thru tomorrows hardware, that is what will push them over the top. So the gamers can play their fav games on what they have, and still get a benefit from better hardware later on.

Comment

Maybe it's the fact that id had the Quake3 engine, which is comparable to the UnrealEngine1 (Unreal, UT), and then came up with the Doom3 engine, which is something entirely new and fits somewhere between UnrealEngine2 and UnrealEngine3, graphics-wise. Epic showed off their UE2 in Unreal 2, Unreal Tournament 200x and other games already and it rocks. Now they come up with UnrealEngine3 and the graphics are not only just overwhelming, but also make Doom3 look kind of weak. Licensees can even add to development in a way by giving feedback and stuff, if I understand that correctly.
            Don't forget there's an UnrealEngine 2 Runtime you can play around with for free! That means a potential licensee can try out the UnrealEngine and play with the content creation part, including UnrealScript. (Remember, Unreal's and Unreal Tournament's gameplay and menus were almost entirely written in UnrealScript!) UE3 will feature many things you can see in UE2 games and the runtime and I guess that attracts customers.

Also, did you try out that official Q3 level editor? I think it sucks compared to UnrealEd 2/3.

Comment

And I only know one game beyond that game in City 17 that uses the "soooo incredible" Source Engine. Perhaps there are more... ...but I think that this Engine was technically a huge letdown after all that hype.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt.fuegerstef
                And I only know one game beyond that game in City 17 that uses the "soooo incredible" Source Engine. Perhaps there are more... ...but I think that this Engine was technically a huge letdown after all that hype.
                Wasn't there some kind of vampire game on Source?

I think one of the failures of Doom3 was timing, as Wormbo pointed out. The UE2.5 was a great engine for recent hardware, the UE1 was great for yesterday's hardware, and the UE3 will be good for tomorrow's hardware... but Doom3 came out at a time when not many people could run it, and it wasn't that impressive to start with.

Comment

Originally posted by placebo
                  I think one of the failures of Doom3 was timing, as Wormbo pointed out. The UE2.5 was a great engine for recent hardware, the UE1 was great for yesterday's hardware, and the UE3 will be good for tomorrow's hardware... but Doom3 came out at a time when not many people could run it, and it wasn't that impressive to start with.
                  We still have to see how UE3 does on timing. UE3 will run on a 6600GT 256 mb quite smoothly, hopefully when the first UE3 PC games come out that will be midrange. But if you want to run completely maxed out like say 1600x1200 or maybe 1280x1024, 6xAA with 16xAF, then you better have a 1GB video card like they said, which will be high end when UE3 comes out. UE3 will definately be more successful than Doom 3 engine and Source engine, even MICROSOFT (!) is using it BEFORE the engine is even complete!!!!! and a ton of other companies. UE3 is going to be the first superb engine to actually be run on XBOX 2 used by other companies! (imagine Halo 3 on UE3).

and wat the hell happened to XNA? I thought that was microsofts graphics engine and they ditched it because UE3 was better?

Comment

Originally posted by nfleming
                    I think the fact that they are working on the authoring tools to make it easier to produce the games/content. That is what the current engine has issues with. Think if it was as 'easy' to make an assault map as it is to make a DM map. Then make it all easier. That is what I am hoping for. It really looks like Epic is working hard to be the dominant (dominating) 3d engine. This looks like the perfect time for someone to take a big piece of the pie.

If they can make it scale well from todays (yesterdays) hardware, thru tomorrows hardware, that is what will push them over the top. So the gamers can play their fav games on what they have, and still get a benefit from better hardware later on.
                    Really

Think how long it took for Doom.

Epics pumping out some kind of UT game every year.

Must be very easy to make stuff on there engine.

I wonder about their physics engine though.

Now if they would just hurry up with ENVY.

Comment

Here's another thing, next week the Doom 3 bonus pack will be released (Ressurection of Evil), it comes with a $35 price tag.

Comment

Originally posted by El_Muerte_[TDS]
                        Here's another thing, next week the Doom 3 bonus pack will be released (Ressurection of Evil), it comes with a $35 price tag.
                        That has more to do with Doom3's popularity than it's engine's use though.

Comment

It ain't about graphics, it's about tools .. epic have been bulding up to this ownage for years ... reckon it's about to pay off big time.

Comment

I think that Epic have spotted a fantastic opportunity opening up with the next generation consoles on the way, and they are ready to royally exploit it.

Practically every publisher and developer has said that next gen games are going to cost them a LOT more. Epic knows this and have developed the UE3 to coincide with this next gen hardware. By providing a stunning next gen engine along with kismet scripting engine and other useful tools, they are going to make creation of next gen games shed loads easier (and cheaper!) for the struggling developers both for Xbox and the PC.

They have the ultimate piece of middleware on their hands, and they make awesome games to boot. I see good things for Epic if they carry on as they are doing...

Comment

Originally posted by AgentZero

and wat the hell happened to XNA? I thought that was microsofts graphics engine and they ditched it because UE3 was better?
                              XNA isn't a graphics engine. To put it simply, think of it as a conceptual evolution of DirectX (of which D3D is part of).

Comment

Working...
                              X