$500 computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Knobby
    I'll say it once more. NEVER get the SE cards.
    +1

Comment

Originally posted by Knobby
      I'll say it once more. NEVER get the SE cards.
      Why do people spout off such nonsense? There are bad cards in every bunch, but for the price, a 9800 SE is a great purchase. Why don't you research the issue before making such an egregious statement? While the argument can be made either way about whether the 9800 SE or the 6200 TC is a better card for certain apps, you cannot deny that the 9800 SE is a great performer for the current price.

Comment

Heh. Better get a processor that will actually work with that motherboard. You listed a socket 754 CPU for a 939 mobo.

Best add another 35$ or so to your total and get this processor instead. At least it will fit in the socket. :haha:

BTW, the mobo and vid card choices were rock solid. Without looking at what you chose, I came up with the exact same components for your budget box. Good choices!

Comment

Originally posted by Crotale
          Why do people spout off such nonsense? There are bad cards in every bunch, but for the price, a 9800 SE is a great purchase. Why don't you research the issue before making such an egregious statement? While the argument can be made either way about whether the 9800 SE or the 6200 TC is a better card for certain apps, you cannot deny that the 9800 SE is a great performer for the current price.
          Ignorance. I baught a 98se for 120 I belive unlocked the pipe lines and have it overclocked. Not all the se are bad its a gamble.

Comment

Be careful with that motherboard. It might do you well to get a small NB fan for <$10 since passively cooling the NForce4 Chipset is a HORRIBLE idea. It gets hot as hell even in the normal versions of the chipset.

Comment

Originally posted by element*381
              Be careful with that motherboard. It might do you well to get a small NB fan for <$10 since passively cooling the NForce4 Chipset is a HORRIBLE idea. It gets hot as hell even in the normal versions of the chipset.
              This man speaks wisdom. My nF4 chipset, for example, runs over twice as hot as my CPU.

Comment

didn't even notice the socket mismatch. haha. anyways, i had a lot of negative things about the nforce 3 chipset, so i thought that the nforce chipsets might be good every other release since nforce 2 rocked.

how about this as the mobo EPoX "EP-8KDA3J" nForce3-250Gb Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket 754 CPU -RETAIL for $70?

btw, i don't want to do softmodding, nor do i want to be unlocking pipelines. i'm not planning on doing much overclocking. i just want a solid rig that's stable (i leave my computer one for weeks at a time) and that can play UT2k4 pretty proficiently. i don't care about maxing out the setting in Doom3 or any of that eye candy bullcrap that develpoers are pushing nowadays. i just need something that can push a consistently high frame rate at decent graphical settings.

::EDIT:: i forgot to add that i do partake in video editing (with premiere) and some 3D modeling (with 3DStudio Max and Maya), so a gaming machine that won't take a year to render 10 seconds of animation would be nice. hence why i wanted to push for a gig of ram and a 64 bit CPU (more registers should equal less pipeline suckage. floating point numbers kick the hell out of 32bit, hopefully 64bit will help). and for now i'll be using windows XP professional and i'll upgrade to windows 64 when the full version is released (college student = legal software pirating).

Comment

getting 64bit is fine. however u need decent graphics card if u want to play at decent res.
                  i suggest u to look at used 9700pro which go for 100$ and is worth every penny.

Comment

Originally posted by chimbaktu
                    how about this as the mobo EPoX "EP-8KDA3J" nForce3-250Gb Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket 754 CPU -RETAIL for $70?
                    Unwise. AMD announced today that they will discontinue production of socket 754 processors this coming June. For future upgrades, you're much better off with your first choice. It would suck to want a faster processor for your mobo but not be able to buy one, eh?

And 64 bits won't mean squat for at least another couple of years. First you need a 64 bit OS (coming this summer) and then you need 64 bit apps... coming whenever individual application providers decide to rewrite their code. The answer to that for some applications will be "never", although I imagine Premier will most likely port their product to 64 bits.... eventually.
                    Just moving to a 64 bit OS will provide some performance improvement, but not as much as a $100 processor upgrade.

Comment

didn't even notice the socket mismatch. haha. anyways, i had a lot of negative things about the nforce 3 chipset, so i thought that the nforce chipsets might be good every other release since nforce 2 rocked.

btw, i don't want to do softmodding, nor do i want to be unlocking pipelines. i'm not planning on doing much overclocking. i just want a solid rig that's stable (i leave my computer one for weeks at a time) and that can play UT2k4 pretty proficiently. i don't care about maxing out the setting in Doom3 or any of that eye candy bullcrap that develpoers are pushing nowadays. i just need something that can push a consistently high frame rate at decent graphical settings.

::EDIT:: i forgot to add that i do partake in video editing (with premiere) and some 3D modeling (with 3DStudio Max and Maya), so a gaming machine that won't take a year to render 10 seconds of animation would be nice. hence why i wanted to push for a gig of ram and a 64 bit CPU (more registers should equal less pipeline suckage. floating point numbers kick the hell out of 32bit, hopefully 64bit will help). and for now i'll be using windows XP professional and i'll upgrade to windows 64 when the full version is released (college student = legal software pirating).
                      Getting an ATI card is fine, but I still highley reccomend this rig:

CPU: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...103-486&depa=1

Video card: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...130-226&depa=1

Hard drive: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...135-106&depa=1

Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...180-056&depa=1

Memory: (2x if you want 1gb) http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...146-889&depa=1

Sound card: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...102-171&depa=0

Case: http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...119-057&DEPA=1

You will get 64-bit preformance and Shader model 3.0 support with this rig. This *MAY* even last 2 years without an upgrade. You will definatly get more than 60fps in UT2004 with it. Also, if you do decide to get an ATI card, which I do not reccomend, you should go with the XT version. If you really want a socket 939 CPU, I would reccomend this motherboard, and this CPU, however it will be a little more expensive. If you want a motherboard with PCI-e (future proofing), it will be even more expensive. But if you want to save som money, you could nix the sound card and just use the onboard 8-channel audio.

Comment

Originally posted by Folk
                        Unwise. AMD announced today that they will discontinue production of socket 754 processors this coming June. For future upgrades, you're much better off with your first choice. It would suck to want a faster processor for your mobo but not be able to buy one, eh?

And 64 bits won't mean squat for at least another couple of years. First you need a 64 bit OS (coming this summer) and then you need 64 bit apps... coming whenever individual application providers decide to rewrite their code. The answer to that for some applications will be "never", although I imagine Premier will most likely port their product to 64 bits.... eventually.
                        Just moving to a 64 bit OS will provide some performance improvement, but not as much as a $100 processor upgrade.

good point. that's exactly the problem i ran into with my current computer. i got an athlonxp at 2500 with a socket A mobo thinking that AMD would reach at least 4000....but then they discontinued the line and move to sempron. so now i can either spend way too much money for just a slight performance boost with an athlonxp or get a new mobo and CPU altogethor. and since i wa splanning on adding another stick of ram and getting a new graphics card (right now i have a 9200), i figured that i might as well just build a new computer and give my current one to my sister as her birthday present so that she'll stop nagging me and taking up my gaming time. i didn't know that AMD was going to discontinue the 754 line, in that case i will cough up the cash and move up to the 939s.

well, i'm pretty confident that the 3D modeling programs and professional editing suites will upgrade to 64 bit support since it would be suicide not to. with Apple's plans for 64bit OS (and IBMs CPUs already support it) and Intel's attempts to join the 64bit race, software will have to step-up or the developers will get left behind in the prosumer area, while the average consumer area will only lag behind by a year or two.

knobby: i like the motherboard and processor. how much of a performance boost will a 256mb GPU have over a 128mb one?

Comment

knobby: i like the motherboard and processor. how much of a performance boost will a 256mb GPU have over a 128mb one?
                          In UT2004, not much, but it will have a huge impact on games like Doom 3, UE3, and Far Cry. And the fact that it has 256mb is not it's only advantage. It also supports Pixel Shader 3.0 and Vertex Shader 3.0. Currently, the only cards that support that are the GeForce 6 series (6200, 6600 and 6800).

Comment

Originally posted by MonkeyMan123
                            You really hate ati dont you knobby?
                            It's quite easy to hate what you don't understand. My X800 XL can hold its own against 6800 GT's and SLI 6600 GT's; heck, it even outperforms those cards in some games and apps. But I don't go around bashing nVidia. I just prefer to use ATI.

Comment

well, i'm pretty confident that the 3D modeling programs and professional editing suites will upgrade to 64 bit support since it would be suicide not to. with Apple's plans for 64bit OS (and IBMs CPUs already support it) and Intel's attempts to join the 64bit race, software will have to step-up or the developers will get left behind in the prosumer area, while the average consumer area will only lag behind by a year or two.
                              Of course you're right, I wasn't even thinking about market pressure. The competition in an area where 64 bits will actually do you some good will be understandably steep.

Comment

For a massively budget rig, where youve already stated you dont intend to overclock and therefore all heat generated would be standard - why buy such an expensive case? I know you would probably like it to look good, but right there you are sacrificing money that could be used on a better internal product - which is surely the most important thing for a budget rig. Pick up a crappy, cheap case and put better things inside it. Hell, if heat becomes an issue you can buy extra fans with the money you have saved - you stand to lose nothing, and gain money. I'd do it. :up:

Comment

Working...
                                X