My New PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Sqube]

I understand that it was the case he chose that screwed up the process...it's the larger picture that **making one mistake can screw it all up** that I'm referring to

Comment

If I had got a decent case I would have had no real problems, I admit.

It might look a bit scary at first but it's actually easy if you have compatible parts etc (someone I know online gave me advice on that sort of thing so I'm still totally clueless about all this socket 239/741 stuff I see the übergeeks talking about). I mainly just used this little online guide to do the bits I wasn't sure of (and the mobo guide).

It was more a feeling of relief than accomplishment when it booted up in my case but sure, it was cool. If you're going to do it just make sure you have more of a clue than I did.

Comment

Originally posted by Venael[FatZ]
        It's a guy where I work. He said he went to a shop and they were going to charge him £640 for the spec he wanted. I said I could do it for £590. When I really looked hard I found the parts nice and cheap, meaning he gets his PC for £590 and I get a nice healthy cut of £222.57.

Apparently he wants 6 more built, but that's in the pipeline. I think they're for a dentist cousin of his who needs the machines building. I think they might want them networked as well, which I will do for around £500 depending on the type of network they want. Its just finding the time.
        thats sweet man good luck with it all :up:

Comment

Re: Re: My New PC

Originally posted by Folk
          My new PC:

AMD 64 3500+
          MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum
          2 x 512 Corsair PC3200XLPT
          250 GB Maxtor Diamond Max 10 SATA drive
          6800 GT
          SB Audigy 2
          52X Plextor CD/RW
          XP Pro

Total cost: $1,451

And I bet mine will smoke yours.

Just foolin' with ya dude. It is my new sys, but I'm re-using several components like case and speakers. Whether it smokes yours or not remains to be seen.
          and mine is gonna absofriggin lutely own yours

AMD Athlon 64 3500+
          1536 MB kingston Hyperx PC3200
          200 GB Maxtow Diamondmax 10 SATA2 drive
          2x Geforce 6600GT 128MB (overcloced of course)
          SB Audigy 2 ZS Platinum
          ASUS A8N SLi DX
          benQ 52X DVD+/- RW Dual Layer
          Liquid cooling
          Logitech Z5300 5.1 surround sound speakers
          Logitech MX510 (blue)
          Samsung SyncMaster 173T TFT
          Belkin Nostromo n52 speedpad
          benQ BWM wireless Keyboard
          (and of course to extend my ***** iven further ill ahve 4 neon lights in my case!!!)

Comment

Why 1.5 gigs of RAM? It's my understanding that you won't notice the difference between 1 and 1.5 unless you do a lot of Photoshop, video editing, and things of that nature.

I personally don't like SLI all that much, to be honest, so I would've gotten a board with one x16 slot, a 6800 GT (that you could overclock to the 6800 Ultra), and a NEC ND-3520 A as the burner.

The liquid cooling is definitely sexy, and my sig clearly demonstrates the relationship between neons and your ePenis.

Comment

ive already got a 6800gt in my older compy and 1.5 gigs because A; i do a lot of vid/PSing and i have spare ram so what the hell
              and SLi is so sexy
              [EDIT] also theres next to no price difference between a single slot pci-x mobo and a dual slotter here

Comment

Originally posted by 3mi0
                ive already got a 6800gt in my older compy and 1.5 gigs because A; i do a lot of vid/PSing and i have spare ram so what the hell
                and SLi is so sexy
                [EDIT] also theres next to no price difference between a single slot pci-x mobo and a dual slotter here
                When you put it like that, it makes a lot more sense. And where's "here", if you don't mind my asking?

Comment

Canada.. well at least where im located the store i buy from

Comment

It sounds like you're totally loaded, how about sending me one of those 6800s and a stick of 512?

Comment

hmmmmm actually i dunno what im gonna do with my second PC tbfh may set up a server or something or jsut donate it to some internet cafe

Comment

Originally posted by huh
                        Erm, I built my current pc (despite not knowing much about them) and I have to say that next time I'd rather not build my own, if I have the money.
                        The only part I get nervous about is when I'm pushing the heat sink clip down with the screwdriver trying to get it to go over the little nubs on the CPU socket. That part scares me to death. Lots of force behind a screwdriver pointed at your brand new mobo.... :bulb:

Comment

I never used a scewdriver I don't think.:bulb:

Comment

Originally posted by huh
                            I never used a scewdriver I don't think.:bulb:
                            Then you've never installed an AMD retail heatsink.

(It was for a computer at work. I've got a Thermalright SLK800 on my Barton 3000 XP at home :noob: )

EDIT: I think I had to use a screwdriver for the SLK800 too.

Comment

you should try getting them of. I almost lost my mobo when I putted a better cooler on it, I scratched it but everything still works though.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: My New PC

Originally posted by 3mi0
                                and mine is gonna absofriggin lutely own yours

AMD Athlon 64 3500+
                                1536 MB kingston Hyperx PC3200
                                200 GB Maxtow Diamondmax 10 SATA2 drive
                                2x Geforce 6600GT 128MB (overcloced of course)
                                SB Audigy 2 ZS Platinum
                                ASUS A8N SLi DX
                                benQ 52X DVD+/- RW Dual Layer
                                Liquid cooling
                                Logitech Z5300 5.1 surround sound speakers
                                Logitech MX510 (blue)
                                Samsung SyncMaster 173T TFT
                                Belkin Nostromo n52 speedpad
                                benQ BWM wireless Keyboard
                                (and of course to extend my ***** iven further ill ahve 4 neon lights in my case!!!)
                                Awesome rig dude. :up:

That's an odd memory config though.... 2x512 and 2x256? On a lot of boards, populating all four slots will either slow down your memory speed (usually from DDR400 to DDR333) or at the least give you added latency. Personally, I would lose the extra sticks.

Does the cooling extend to your vid cards too? Nah...... I guess that would be asking to much on an SLI rig. And speaking of SLI, I understand the latest betas (posted on Nvidia's site) support UT2004 in SLI mode, so that should be sweet.

But.... UT2004 is pretty much CPU bound, so I'm not sure SLI is going to help you a lot. And since 6600's are 128 MB cards, and my 6800 is a 256... well, it could be close. Get yours up and purring (mine will be built starting tomorrow afternoon) and we'll measure epenis's on a few UT2004 benches.

I'll have to spot you Doom3 and 3DMark though. They both love the vid card and your SLI should rule. Do post a URL to your 3DMark scores though... I'd like to drool over them.

Comment

Working...
                                X