No announcement yet.

Choppiness gone in UT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the heads up, Flak. I'll run the check tonight and see if it helps at all.

Comment

You don't need help. **** LG ho ^^

Comment

Thanks for the info. Wasnt sure why it wasnt checking for errors but now its back on I am happy.

I usually just had to run chkdsk /r to get it to fix errors on restart.

Comment

Well i ran checkdisk, and things don't seem to be quite so 'choppy' now. It took ages though.

Comment

Just fixed checkdisk, while i'm at it i'll defrag, havn't done that in a while. :/

EDIT: I'm going to write a song, and i'm going to call it "Drowning in frames"

Thanks flak! :up: :up:

Comment

Originally posted by ErroneousBee
              Im a Linux user, whats the ext3 equivalent to checkdisk, so that I can defrag my partitions?
              ext3 is a journaling file system. Journalling simply means that the file system keeps track of all changes made and changes that should be made in a special table called the journal, the journal is written to the harddisk frequently, so when harddisk crash or power outage happens, the file system can go back and finish what needs to be done or undo what needs to be undone. Its self cleaning and self checking.

Comment

Originally posted by CaKeY
                ext3 is a journaling file system. Journalling simply means that the file system keeps track of all changes made and changes that should be made in a special table called the journal, the journal is written to the harddisk frequently, so when harddisk crash or power outage happens, the file system can go back and finish what needs to be done or undo what needs to be undone. Its self cleaning and self checking.
                Also IIRC it defrags for you also

Comment

Flak- you should run the manufacturer's dianotsics disk for your brand of hard drive. If there are critcal problems/bad sectors/SMART failures it will tell you.
                  If you know what brand your HDD is let me know and Ill point ya in the direction of the diag disk download link.

Comment

Old news to me

I defrag and run scandisk atleast every other day

Comment

Originally posted by mazza558
                      Old news to me

I defrag and run scandisk atleast every other day
                      Bit excessive imho

Comment

Originally posted by peterbi
                        Flak- you should run the manufacturer's dianotsics disk for your brand of hard drive. If there are critcal problems/bad sectors/SMART failures it will tell you.
                        If you know what brand your HDD is let me know and Ill point ya in the direction of the diag disk download link.
                        Thanks Peter. I haven't had any bad sectors though since I've cleaned up my system. I've got a lean mean gaming machine now. ^^

*crosses fingers

Comment

Originally posted by NKVD3941
                          Bit excessive imho
                          Unless you're doing a lot of programming, and creating tons of files all the time, yeah, every other day is excessive.. Even then, once a week would do.

Dicky B (once a monther, here, unless I move a lot of files around)

Comment

Originally posted by ErroneousBee
                            Im a Linux user, whats the ext3 equivalent to checkdisk, so that I can defrag my partitions?
                            Here's 2 cents, buy a new comp.

Comment

Originally posted by mazza558
                              Old news to me...
                              Exactly what I was thinking -- how can so many knowledgable people not know they have to nursemaid this poor excuse for an OS...?

-D

Comment

Working...
                              X