Clans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clans

To players looking for a clan, or clans looking for members...

As opposed to actively seeking out a clan or members, shouldn't you simply let the natural process happen by itself?

If you like CTF for example...go play it. Based on ping you'll probably play on the same 5 servers or so most of the time. You'll find other regulars on those servers who obivously like CTF as well. Those are the people you should pair up with. Not someone on the other side of the planet that can't get less than a 400ms ping to the servers you get 40ms pings on.

There's more than gametype to consider when selecting a clan or members for a clan. If you're hunting a clan to be in, or members for your clan, please take these into consideration:

1 - Location - You need comparable pings..within 50ms (max) of each other.

2 - Age - How often do you hang out w/someone 15 yrs older/younger than you? If not often, then look for someone around your age

3 - Personality - If you're in it for fun, find others who are too. If you're out there to win, don't pair up w/others who aren't.

4 - Gametype - Don't pair up w/ONS players if you're a DM God.

For reference, I've been in two UT2004 clans, one I was invited into because we were playing each other all the time, and the other I co-created. Both have worked out very well. The clan I was invited into was filled w/people like me; same basic age, we had similar pings to the same servers, we liked the same gametypes, etc. It was a good fit. IMO that's how to find a clan or members...just let the natural process happen, you'll find what you seek.

I would never join a clan or guild in any game based on the following factors:

1. They post a recruitment ad in the game's forums (this one's not so strict for me though)
    2. They send random invites to people in the game regardless of whether or not they know them
    3. They accept anyone who asks to be let in

That's not a clan or guild, that's a gathering of random people with the same letters after their name. A clan should be made up of people who at least know each other's names.

Comment

Re: Clans

Originally posted by Airjrdn
      1 - Location - You need comparable pings..within 50ms (max) of each other.

2 - Age - How often do you hang out w/someone 15 yrs older/younger than you? If not often, then look for someone around your age

3 - Personality - If you're in it for fun, find others who are too. If you're out there to win, don't pair up w/others who aren't.

4 - Gametype - Don't pair up w/ONS players if you're a DM God.

For reference, I've been in two UT2004 clans, one I was invited into because we were playing each other all the time, and the other I co-created. Both have worked out very well. The clan I was invited into was filled w/people like me; same basic age, we had similar pings to the same servers, we liked the same gametypes, etc. It was a good fit. IMO that's how to find a clan or members...just let the natural process happen, you'll find what you seek.
      I agree for the most part... however...

1. I don't live exactly near my clan mates, but i'm central, and ping well to just about any US server... so it all works out (most of my clanmates are east)

2. well this can be true in many cases... however i'm one of the youngest in my clan (18)... most of the others are 20-25... but i've always hung out with people older than me so this wasn't really an issue.

3. again, can be true in some cases, but i'm in it to win and have fun... and most competitive clans are like this as well, who doesn't like competition in the competitive scene? it's fun! competitive players aren't a slave to the game, they enjoy every frag of it!

4. yes, but some clans play multiple gametypes... so you might join 1 particular squad.

but like i said, for the most part i agree.

Comment

Well yeah, but ping isn't that much of a problem anymore with UTComp's new enhance netcode.

Comment

however i'm one of the youngest in my clan (18)... most of the others are 20-25
          To me, that's basically the same age. I'm referring to 10+ yr ranges, and yeah, they do exist.

I also agree with the statement about no criteria for entry. It doesn't have to be military like, but some criteria (voting even) is a plus.

Comment

That, and age really doesn't matter, imo. It's maturity that matters. Who cares if a clan holds an age range of people between 15 and 35? I mean, as long as they're both year mature, and enjoy playing the same game... I see no problem.

Comment

I am the youngest in my clan at 21, and the oldest is 42. We all enjoy the game and thats what counts.

Comment

I'll agree, that maturity is a better wording for it than age.

To clarify, I was referring to 13yr olds in clans with 40yr olds. While there really isn't (shouldn't be) a large difference in maturity between a 20yr old and a 40yr old, there is between a 13yr old and a 25yr old.

Comment

We have an age requirement of at least 20+. Even if you are a mature 16 year old your age still represents a problem. We never want to forfit a match just because they didn't do there homework and now they are punished. It may sound silly but its true.

Comment

Originally posted by Mostly_Harmless
                    We have an age requirement of at least 20+. Even if you are a mature 16 year old your age still represents a problem. We never want to forfit a match just because they didn't do there homework and now they are punished. It may sound silly but its true.
                    It sounds silly... because it is silly. Why?

Because unexpected situations can come up for adults as well - and just as often. Perhaps someone got sick, and they've got to go to work during break (with OT pay, of course) to help out? Hell, what if THEY get sick? And what if their computer breaks, or their network connection goes down due to storm?

I simply cannot see how preventing 16 year olds from joining on the premise you provided from playing is any more logical than preventing adults from joining on the premise that I provided.

The solution is to have backup players, not to exclude mature players from a clan.
                    Originally posted by Airjrdn
                    I'll agree, that maturity is a better wording for it than age.

To clarify, I was referring to 13yr olds in clans with 40yr olds. While there really isn't (shouldn't be) a large difference in maturity between a 20yr old and a 40yr old, there is between a 13yr old and a 25yr old.
                    Agreed.

Comment

Working...
                    X