5.1 Speakers vs Headphones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5.1 Speakers vs Headphones

Im thinking of investing in some 5.1's, probably some shiny creative t5900's. Does anyone using 5.1 find they can hear more or have any kind of advantage over 2.1's or headphones? Im guessing experience of weapon sounds etc. will tell me more but I do find it fustrating when I cannot tell if my opponent is in front of me or behind me...
    Ok its just an excuse to buy more h/ware but hey what do you guys think?

Cheers in advance

buy 5.1 headphones

sorted

Comment

Originally posted by Homicidal
      buy 5.1 headphones

sorted
      That's the worst peice of advice i've ever seen...5.1 headphones are total ****. Especially the Zalmans all the noobs bought.

I'd get a pair of decent headphones instead, that's the path i went

I bought these:
      http://www.sennheiserusa.com/newsite...ransid=newHD-2

From here:
      http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduc...106-392&depa=1

Comment

I was going to mention these. Are they any good or is it just another way to extract our hard earned cash... Any make/model anyone can recommend?

Comment

The Medusa Speedlink 5.1 headphones are actually very good. I have 2 pairs of sennheiser, these medusa's, a set of philips and some shure e2c's (in-ear) and the medusa 5.1 headphones are by far the best for gaming.

The sound positioning is suprisingly effective and accurate, I don't find the sounds blur into one at all, you can easily tell where the sound is coming from.

Comment

Cool cheers

I currently have some sennheiser HD477 which are pretty good. Around £40 I think. Also I was going to ask, as I almost always use my headphones I havn't bothered getting a decent soundcard and use my onboard sound (Realtek 5.1 on my A7V8X board) Probably **** but would I notice any diff in my headphones if I invested in an audigy 2 or the like?

Cheers

Comment

I use my headphones for everything, and being an audiophile i can assure you the HD-555s are great for the price, HD-650's being the best but it's not worth it unless you can also afford a decent amp to bring out it's true quality.

Comment

I bought a cheap-a## 5.1 headset, expecting they were crappy... They weren't...

So now I have some nice 5.1 speakers, AND a nice 5.1 headset!

Comment

Originally posted by Jes
                  I bought a cheap-a## 5.1 headset, expecting they were crappy... They weren't...

So now I have some nice 5.1 speakers, AND a nice 5.1 headset!
                  What are you compairing them to though?

Comment

Originally posted by 0verclocked
                    That's the worst peice of advice i've ever seen...5.1 headphones are total ****. Especially the Zalmans all the noobs bought.
                    :haha: oops, wish someone told me before I bought the **** things

For gaming I now use a comfy pair of Phillips headphones hooked up to a Audigy because it enables me to hear where the sounds are coming from.

Comment

Brought Harman Kardon 4:1 invaders. Crank it up to half bass, half volume and i can hear it 12 houses up from mine. Now that's delightful!

Headphones are ok if you live with your parents and they moan at 24/7 noise. Either way if your parents are relaxed, you have some cash then like moi invest in those speakers or 2 sub towers by JBL and 2 Jamo tower speakers and hook them up to a amp. Teehee!

Comment

Originally posted by -[LoR]-
                        Either way if your parents are relaxed...
                        I love reading quotes like these. At 51, my parents are very relaxed.... at Woodlawn cemetary.

Comment

I cant think of anything that annoys my girlfriend quite as much as me leaving the volume a tad high, launching ut2k4 and hearing the minigun rattle the walls :haha:
                          Hence the headphones...

Comment

5.1 speakers vs headphones

Originally posted by Folk
                            I love reading quotes like these. At 51, my parents are very relaxed.... at Woodlawn cemetary.
                            FOLK, that was one of the best posts I've ever seen. (We’re in the same demographic although my folks are just old and haven’t taken that last sad step)

As for Zatoichi (the Blind swordsman's) original question; 5.1 speaker systems, with the speakers properly placed, will provide a most immersive experience however, anything that processes the same information but cranks it to only two speakers (be they headphone or otherwise) will loose some of this benefit even if being better than plain headphones.

For privacy I actually use a high quality but basic set of walkman style headphones and find the better stereo separation (which is strategically advantageous in gameplay) in this arrangement to be more beneficial than process enhanced sound effects offered by pure software based 5.1 systems. When volume is not an issue I crank the sound through some beefy Klipsch PC speakers or a Hi-Fi system’s monster EPI speakers, in all cases opting for crisp stereo separation from two good speakers rather than enhanced sound effects.

Just my thang as an old school audiophile from the days when Pong was all the rage!

Comment

YuMmmY!

Drool, Yummy, BOOM, Drool...

Passout.
                              :heart:

Comment

Working...
                              X