Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beta Patch 3354 + 3355 Changelist

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by MajikMyst
    And your logic there is what? This is simple logic. The more people that have the beta, then the more people that will provide feedback and the better it will be.

    Kinda like the saying. Two heads are better than one. Guess that is to difficult for you all.

    Growing a brain that works might be helpful if you can't undertstand simple logic. :weird:
    It shows you've never done software development or testing.

    If you have a 100 hard core testers that actually test, gather information in a useful format, report information properly and respond to questions, that is about a million times better than having 10,000 people who send the same bug reports all mangled up, providing half the info you need, don't respond to questions, etc. In the latter case you spend more time dealing with volume and mistakes from the general public.

    You're just suggesting that quantity is better than quality, or that more quantity equals more quality, but that's not the case, and you're fogetting that dealing with a large quantity of poor quality information has it's own overhead, as well as being difficult to work with.

    Comment


      Originally posted by Captain Sarcastic
      It shows you've never done software development or testing.

      If you have a 100 hard core testers that actually test, gather information in a useful format, report information properly and respond to questions, that is about a million times better than having 10,000 people who send the same bug reports all mangled up, providing half the info you need, don't respond to questions, etc. In the latter case you spend more time dealing with volume and mistakes from the general public.

      You're just suggesting that quantity is better than quality, or that more quantity equals more quality, but that's not the case, and you're fogetting that dealing with a large quantity of poor quality information has it's own overhead, as well as being difficult to work with.
      It actually happens to be my profession and hobby. I am currently a beta tester for Novalogic and Microsoft. Why do you think they have public betas? So there are more people involved with different system types and hardware configs. Something that you know nothing about I guess. I am sure Epic/Atari have a group of in house beta testers. The reason to go semi public is to involve more people and get more input.

      You are the third person to make themselves look like an idiot on this issue. I don't understand why the concept is so difficult. The more beta testers the better. The more bugs that will be discovered and hardware issues. If you actually did this for a living. You would want as many people testing your product as possible. What works for 100 people doesn't mean it will work for a thousand or a million. Everyone has different compenents and drivers on thier machine. Everyone will do something a little bit different or try something that someone else may not think of.

      For the sake of arguement and your appearent lack of understanding. Let's say that only 20% of the 1000 people you give the beta to, actually report issues. That is still 200 more people reporting than you would if you didn't give it to anyone but in house testers.

      More testers is and always will be better. Why else would any software company have any kind of public beta program if more wasn't better?

      Going by your logic, every software company only needs one tester to fully test a product. Makes sense to me. :bulb: NOT!

      Comment


        Ok, MajikMyst, if this BETA patch would become public (not necesarrily official, just well known: "OMG teh new patch") thousands of n00bs would download it.
        And as it is a BETA patch it might contain bugs and stuff. And all these n00bs would not know that... ...hence, they hardly know how to do a simple dodge-jump. The complaining would increase by 100000 %.

        This is the main reason why these patches aren't for the general public.

        Comment


          Originally posted by MajikMyst
          It actually happens to be my profession and hobby. I am currently a beta tester for Novalogic and Microsoft. Why do you think they have public betas? So there are more people involved with different system types and hardware configs. Something that you know nothing about I guess. I am sure Epic/Atari have a group of in house beta testers. The reason to go semi public is to involve more people and get more input.


          Funnily enough, I've done testing for Microsoft too, and they cut a tester if they don't repond with useful, consistent and timely testing information. By your logic MS should just sent out beta's to everyone (they don't) and then just wait for all the info to come rolling in.

          Why don't they allow everyone to join their testing programmes? Because sending out betas to everyone doesn't equal good information. it just equals more information.

          You're suggesting that the "scattershot" method of development and testing is useful, when everyone who's done it know's that it doesn't work - it's too unfocussed, provides too much extraneous information that has a processing overhead of it's own.

          Going by *your* logic developers should just send every build out into the wild and not worry about testing - just let their customers find every problem for them - after all, more people means better testing, right?

          Comment


            Originally posted by Captain Sarcastic
            Going by *your* logic developers should just send every build out into the wild and not worry about testing - just let their customers find every problem for them - after all, more people means better testing, right?
            Sure sounds like Microsoft to me... ;D

            Comment


              Originally posted by NakedApe
              Sure sounds like Microsoft to me... ;D
              You should see what it's like before they send stuff out!

              Comment


                Updated with beta patch 3355 info.
                Only 2 small fixes this time.

                Changelist 3354 to 3355:
                - Fixed resetting energy core in Assault (AS-Junkyard)
                - Fixed resetting demo playback speed properly with new demo playback controls.

                Comment


                  But those are pretty big bugs.

                  Every fix is better than nothing at all.

                  Comment


                    This looks like it's going to be the best patch yet.

                    Anybody know when it's coming out?

                    Comment


                      I never said give it to the general public.

                      Would you like a link for 'Hooked on Phonics'?

                      My argument still stands and nobody has even come close to proving otherwise.

                      Sure not everyone is going to respond and not everyone is going give useful information. Sure they may be cut from the beta. But the point of letting them join in the first place was to get more testers involved and more input. Which is my point.

                      Comment


                        The bottom line here is this.

                        Some of you want to feel like your all that and a bag of chips cause you can test the beta patch while others can't.

                        I offered to help test the patch and some of you flamed me for it.

                        I really don't care. I have enough beta projects to keep me busy.

                        You all should be ashamed for flaming someone that wants to help.

                        Perhaps you should upgrade your maturity level. I would be willing to test that beta as well.

                        Comment


                          I just noticed that the Flak/Rockets flying past their targets in demo playback seems to be solved too. I'm not entirely sure until I check some other demos.

                          What I did notice however is that projectiles don't have the proper speed if the demo playback speed is adjusted.
                          Flaks/Rockets/ShockCores go much slower than the action in 1/4 speed (also in the other adjusted speeds, but less noticable)

                          Comment


                            No, you can't make a supposition and assert it as fact. Nor are you gaining credibility by making personal attacks.

                            Assign a dollar value to process each bit of feedback to determine the value of it. Then come argue quantity vs quality again.

                            Comment


                              Re: Beta Patch 3354 + 3355 Changelist

                              Originally posted by NotoriousBIC

                              Changelist for 3355:
                              - Fixed resetting energy core in Assault (AS-Junkyard)

                              What do they mean by fixed exactly? Stopping it from resetting?

                              Comment


                                Re: Re: Beta Patch 3354 + 3355 Changelist

                                Originally posted by DigitalBacon
                                What do they mean by fixed exactly? Stopping it from resetting?
                                Patch 3354 made it so after the first round on AS-Junkyard the core would not reset for the second round, making it impossible for the Blue Team to even start the level and therefore no way to finish the game properly.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X