Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Go here http://ut2004stats.epicgames.com/ind...?stats=servers

I admin the 7th server down.
    212 maps total, mainly arena based maps built for 140 LG/IG FFA.

A map for this server could be nothing more then a subtracted cube and a spawn point. This is why embedded music plays such an important role in our game type. It helps to set one map apart from the next. Btw, the average file size for one of these maps is about 5MB on the redirect. Nothing the average broadband connection can't handle.

We paid the same $$$ for this game as anyone else. UT2004 rocks don't get me wrong; but as a result of this bug you have ppl that feel they somehow downgraded when they bought UT2004.

=======================================
    http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums...&pagenumber=16
    =======================================

Originally posted by Ani-stemcell
    DrSiN,

The ambient sound problem is an issue that does not need to be ignored. It has been brought up more then once in this thread by my friends from the elite clan, and yet, not a single response one way or another. As instagibbers... YES it is extremely annoying for the music to restart every frag. Music happens to be a big part of our communitys maps and it's unfair that we are getting ignored or shuffled to the bottom of a list.

We paid the same $$$ for the game just like every other game type player and deserve the same attention if not a simple acknowledgement. We are not looking to assign blame or knock the product, we simply want a fix. I cant imagine that this bug is so complex that its being dismissed as a mappers choice to use music, as a matter of opinion (mine) the bug is prolly no big deal and that is why it has been relegated to the bottom of some obscure "to do list".

Again we paid the same amount as all and deserve the support of the game programmers as well as the community.

See what you can do to resolve this.

Thanks,
    <Ani><stemcell
    DrSin, any luck?

Originally posted by DrSiN
    Ani-Stemcell, this will be addressed but not this patch.
    :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up:

Comment

Originally posted by *Xx ZER01 xX*
      [B]
      A map for this server could be nothing more then a subtracted cube and a spawn point. This is why embedded music plays such an important role in our game type. It helps to set one map apart from the next.
      1. If it is a substracted cube... ...why do you need more than 1 map. :bulb:

2. And re-texturing the cube would be too much work. YOu could then SEE it is a different map. (instead of 5 MB it would be 64K then)

3. Music is for adding the right atmosphere... ...yes indeed very important for substracted cubes. That'S why the retail music wont work and you have to have custom music especially composed for these masterpieces.

PS: For the solution for ambient music in REAL maps (not cubes) see my post in the 3323 thread, that some *#+%$(ยง had bumped.

Comment

I have since had anger therapy after my last few posts about embedded ambient music in the server forum over several months. At this point I will simply say that I strongly disagree with that practice and would define it as bad mapping.

I would also like to pose this thought to those who use/support this method: This "bug" you're complaining about is most likely by design. Did you consider that the reason it starts over on the client side is there may be different ambient sound based on where they spawn. The Unreal engine knows that ambient sound has a radius and depending on where they were relative to where they spawn, this makes perfect sense and further highlights the folly of using ambient sound in a way it isn't intended.

Stop the madness. Ask your players to download your zip or rar archive of your creations to ensure they get the full "atmosphere" of the map which includes whatever music you decided to add.

Comment

Originally posted by scoob
          lol, once again we're arguing about whether music should or shouldn't be in a map...when that has nothing to do with this...the music is broke, get it fixxed...once that's done u can argue all u want about whether it should be there or not...

next you'll start telling me what kinds of food i'm allowed to eat, cuz some of them aren't "healthy" right? ****ing nazis
          You are from the KU clan... ...those that make these "DM-(KU)-SomeNamebutActuallyItsASubstractedCube" maps ?
          Then I understand your point... ...lol !!!:haha:

And music is not broke... ...it isn't even broken... ...some mappers' Skills are broken.

Comment

No argument at all here. Epic has it right imho. People are trying to insert music into a map in a way that shouldn't be done. Now that ambient sound has been corrected to work as intended for respawning players, it's far more obvious that music shouldn't be added in this way.

Comment

Not that this makes any difference ingame, just something I noticed when 2k4 first came out. When using opengl, the liscence plate naming doesn't work. I figured somewhere down the road a patch would fix this. I heard this was going to be the last patch, and it isn't in the list.
              Now many are probly thinking STFU, like i said, it don't matter, purely cosmetics, but still...wtf...

Comment

There hasn't been anything said that would suggest this is the last patch... If anything, it might be a while before another one depending on how many severe bugs they have to fix after this one.

I wonder if the license plate thing is some DirectX texture trick....?

Originally posted by N0mad
                Not that this makes any difference ingame, just something I noticed when 2k4 first came out. When using opengl, the liscence plate naming doesn't work. I figured somewhere down the road a patch would fix this. I heard this was going to be the last patch, and it isn't in the list.
                Now many are probly thinking STFU, like i said, it don't matter, purely cosmetics, but still...wtf...

Comment

Does Epic even intend for opengl to be used? IIRC, it's become a DirectX game with the functionality still available for ogl, but no support.

Comment

at Ownage tab:

- U can download maps and packs and so, but why not download it ingame, cause u exit the game and goes to the site, so sometimes UT2k4 will not react anylonger, so I suggest ingame browser.

movie tab:

- played those HaloUT-movie, with the ring and such and when the movie was finished, returned to mainpage but music continued (bug in ut2k4 or in movie?)

Greetz

Dragunov

Comment

The licence plates are done by a trick called "Render to texture" which OpenGL doesn't (at the current time) support. Therefore Epic can't fix it at the moment. OpenGL also doesn't support the real time shadows either, nor the team symbols sign you see in bases in the maps.

Comment

request:

votemenu:
                        multi-maplist for same gametype
                        in this case
                        ons default linksetup vs custom made(league) linksetup

Onslaught:
                        make die powercore/nodes at map bindable to a key

Comment

Where did u hear this is gonna be the last patch??

So no more patches after this one? Then they stop the support?

Greetz

Dragunov

Comment

Originally posted by thahandy
                            scoreboard:
                            when u die and watch the score with "scoreboard" key, hold it(not "scoreboard toggle") and pressing fire to come back to live, release the "scoreboard" key, the scoreboard is inverted. u can get it away by using the "scoreboard toggle" key. very anoing!!!
                            Seconded:up:

Comment

Can someone pretty please PM me with the link to the beta patch?

Thanks!

Comment

Just wait a few more days... You'll get it soon enough

Originally posted by MajikMyst
                                Can someone pretty please PM me with the link to the beta patch?

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X