No announcement yet.

Beta Patch Win 3353, 3354, 3355, & Linux 3354/5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use and support UTAN as it makes my admin job easier. I do have to say I am puzzled with the new integration though. Epic has always had the ability to ban at the master server level. The use of UTAN at that master server level seems redundant..

Comment

Originally posted by Frogger
      i think that's exactly what they are doing....
      But if that was the case, or they were just dealing with the most problematic of offenders, couldn't they just ban their GUID/key from the master server without a secondary program that is arbitrated by another group as they have done in the past?

I'm sure it won't affect things in a serious way for better or worse, since it is not supposed to be any "subjective" bannings, and those are supposed to be optional. Also, I'm not complaining about a good effort, just voicing some ideas/concerns, not so much about where UTAN is, just where it might lead. Kinda makes me think of something Valve would do...

Comment

I assume that this will be an ongoing integration of UTAN bans and not just a "he who is banned by UTAN now is banned at the master server from now on"?

If it's the former, burn raises a valid concern (in principle). It's sort of an outsourcing of security.

Nevertheless, even if it's the former ongoing UTAN integration, I think in practice it will be pretty much all good with no bad.

Comment

best patch yet. thank you lord for fixing the exploit.

Comment

Originally posted by chimbaktu
            best patch yet. thank you lord for fixing the exploit.
            not lord : EPIC !

Mark Rein as president of US !! (as he can't be worse than the actual one

Comment

I still don't get the anti-UTAN hububbubaloo...

UTAN is a nice system that allows multi-server admins maintain a consistent list of bans between their systems (GISP bans). The global list allows for reporting of major pains (ie. Helios & co.) which are fed out to everyone in a region if they are put on the big ban list. There's only 300-400 people on the big list right now, which servers can opt out of recieving. I think most of these are botters, and hax0rs.

Honestly, if you're on that list, you were probably well on the way to getting a MS ban.

If people are so worried about their CD-keys getting robbed, its no different than AntiTCC loggin user ID and whatnot. It's just a stupid MD5 hash (i think) which is a one-way transformation of your cd key. no different than the one used by UTstats, etc.

On a side note... Any chance of getting a server side option for warm-ups added? (nudge,nudge)

Comment

UTAN on next patch?? that's NOT fair!!
                i will write here an exemple that HAPPENED with a friend of mine.
                My friend one day saw that his mashine was really laggy, and he figured out that his computer had a virus (normal stuff on windows box). His anti-virus could't remove it, so his last try was FORMAT his HD. He has many games, like CS, UT, UT2K4, etc
                he formated his PC, and installed all again. One month later, he try to enter a UTAN server, and what happened?? he's cdkey was global banned from UTAN.
                he went to UTAN forum, and they told him that he had cheat installed and they wouldn't remove his ban. Today he plays only on servers without UTAN.

AND NOW, he will have to buy another game 'cause the "security of WINDOWS banned him"?? :bulb:

NOT FAIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                i can't beleave that EPIC is doing that... really, i can't!!!!!

PS: Sorry for my bad english, im learning to write/speak better

Comment

So you're saying that formatting harddrives auto-installs cheats or that a virus/trojan stole your friend's cd key and a cheater used it? Who is this friend of yours? I'd like to read what he posted in the UTAN forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Frogger
                    LOL...i am sure it wasn't for botting unless he was..we (HTM) have 10 fold more bans for 'Annoyance' reasons than for botting. UTAN has nothing to do with whether or not he was banned. It simply made it easy for us to ban him from all of our servers. This affects him no where else, as it was a GISP ban, not global.
                    Really? Check again, he had to play a match against either {RA} (the clan) or BG|2 and I had to get him a new cd key real fast because he couldnt get in the server due to UTAN, they even "called hacks" on us when it said UTAN blocked him, this is not good, and it was terribly annoying. If someone can get banned from basicly the master server list because someone in a "fun" clan thinks he is cheating or doesnt like him then we have a problem. I have been called a botter more than three times on a low-g insta server (2EZLOLOL) and had an admin there banned me and it had put me on the UTAN list , it wouldnt have been good.

PS : Keeping someone from playing on BASICLY ANY SEVER because they were in a bad mood one day is stupid!Or, lets say they played in a server like Titan where there is no cursing and they say "****" they get banned from 400 servers just for that, this is totally flawed.

Comment

Originally posted by PeeBee
                      Really? Check again, he had to play a match against either {RA} (the clan) or BG|2 and I had to get him a new cd key real fast because he couldnt get in the server due to UTAN, they even "called hacks" on us when it said UTAN blocked him, this is not good, and it was terribly annoying. If someone can get banned from basicly the master server list because someone in a "fun" clan thinks he is cheating or doesnt like him then we have a problem. I have been called a botter more than three times on a low-g insta server (2EZLOLOL) and had an admin there banned me and it had put me on the UTAN list , it wouldnt have been good.

PS : Keeping someone from playing on BASICLY ANY SEVER because they were in a bad mood one day is stupid!Or, lets say they played in a server like Titan where there is no cursing and they say "****" they get banned from 400 servers just for that, this is totally flawed.
                      I'm sorry but server specific rules for banning should not result in a UNIVERSAL ban. That's like the US passing prohibition laws, and forcing everyone else to follow suit.

I'm not totally familiar with being banned under UTAN, but does the system report to the user the level of ban? Ie. Global or GISP?

Comment

Oh please. Read before you post.

Comment

Originally posted by Boksha
                          Oh please. Read before you post.
                          He might genuinely believe it

Comment

Originally posted by Imaginos
                            So you're saying that formatting harddrives auto-installs cheats or that a virus/trojan stole your friend's cd key and a cheater used it? Who is this friend of yours? I'd like to read what he posted in the UTAN forum.
                            i will ask him about his ban #

the virus stole his cdkey, and many virus do that, here some exemple:

http://securityresponse.symantec.com...andex.aas.html

http://securityresponse.symantec.com...aobot.cii.html

Comment

Originally posted by El Gringo
                              He might genuinely believe it
                              Look guys, my friend couldnt play in a server because of HTM and it wasnt an HTM server, thats all I know.

Comment

Look guys, my friend couldnt play in a server because of HTM and it wasnt an HTM server, thats all I know.
                                1) has your friend posted about this in the UTAN forums?
                                2) How sure are you guys that it's a global ban?

Comment

Working...
                                X