X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IMHO

Console = great for single player
    PC = great for multiplayer

console wont replace PC for multiplay as they just dont have (and never will have) as much overall power as a PC, the fact that the number of homes with the internet is rising to crazy numbers will help keep numbers up there, and ofcourse the fact that fast speed internet prices are coming down really quickly (at least here in UK tho' still a bit pricey) and ofcourse the ever lowering PC prices means that i can't see console totally replacing PC for gaming

Comment

1) Unless you have under 25fps, you are at no disadvantage. Wait, make that 15 - I used to have a terrible system, but when you're used to horrible fps you're exactly that: used to it. I only got disheartened when playing ONS at less than 10 fps.

2) Unless your PC can't get aforementioned fps, ping is the only thing that matters. Visibility is not an issue as there are brightness/gamma settings etc.

3) Boasting about how many kilos your son can pump on the benchpress is utterly gay.

4) ut2k4 is certainly not dying in Europe, and is picking up in NA.

5) Playing multiplayer with your irl friends on a console can be hard to beat.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent
        In the UT days, you needed to be a geek to have a PC. Not many homes would have them compared to todays figures, hence why the ones that did generaly had somone there that knew what they was doing.

No, its no FPS (although a market flooded with WW based ones gets very boring, its ok for your average chav) that is dying. Its PC gaming in general on the decline.
        So because more people have PCs, the average knowledge to get a PC is lower so PC games are on the decline? Something doesn't wash here...

Comment

Re: Are FPS games dying on PC??

Originally posted by Bin drinkin
          I ask that cos of the following.

My kid and his mates just refuse to play PC games, they only play PS2 games online, and i've been thinking about it.... I play UT2K, not interested in 4k... and:

1. the winners always have REALLY expensive PC with a massvely expensive graphics card (not saying that is all that's required but you cant aim at something you cant see)

2. sony provide servers, UT3K has f*ck-all servers and never did have)

3. there's no way to have a handicap for players with lesser machines/graphics cards

anyways, i often get in fights with people and there is this technique to stay WELL back and plug away with the Shock, Lighting & mini... at that range on a lesser machine you just cant see that far - so these guys plug away from a safe distance and cut you down gradualy over a 1/2 minute or so, and you pull off a hit if you are lucky purely by luck of shotting in the direction of this vaguely visible moving red or blue blob

it's really irritating

Now i'm not saying PC quality & AGP card quality is all there is, I love to watch good players, but i know for a fact the shots they pull off can't be achcived with a lesser machine

I what people think - sure, there is looneys out there with no life that spend ALOT on their PC, but that's the whole point and reason why kid's of my son's generation refuse to play, they simply want an even feild, and they cant afford the money for such an exotic PC

anyways... whatever... just a thought, i spose there's no way to 'even the feild'

?
          This is too hilarious to respond but just enough to quote.

Comment

Originally posted by ^vs^Bazza
            IMHO

Console = great for 3rd person jump'n'run
            PC = great for FPS
            Fixed...

Comment

Re: Are FPS games dying on PC??

and i've been thinking

HA HA HA LOGICAL HA HA HA

Comment

Good topic Bin drinkin. Too bad most of the replies are from the usual retards with nothing better to do than hang out in here and throw stones at people.

At some level, you have to blame the game developers. They feel pressured (sometimes artifically so, or it's self-induced) to make the next version of the game engine 10 X more realistic than the last one. They know and we know that the realism comes with a steep price, but they push for it anyway.

When the retail version of UT2004 first came out, many in here were very disappointed at how poorly ONS and Assault ran on their systems. I know I was, and I felt that (at the time) my system was in the top 5% or so of systems out there. So if it stumbled a bit on my rig, there was no way in hell it was going to run smoothly on the average rig without turning down virtually every visual feature in the game.

Of course the same was true with Doom3 and HL2. To get the complete experience, you had to plunk down hard money for the latest graphic card, the fastest processor and huge amounts of memory (remember when 512 felt like a waste?) in order to have decent framerates.

What's really happening is that companies like Epic, ID and Valve are screwing the fans of their games. They put out this nice eye candy in order to license their latest tech, and they say "to hell" with the actual playability of the game, since to them it's more of a technology showcase than a game. In other words, they spend 90% of their time making sure it looks good, and 10% of their time making sure it's playable.

But who can blame them? The hardware sites get all giddy and gush when they see all these awesome effects in the new engines. When Doom3 came out, I heard about "heat haze" so much I could puke. I played Doom3 from start to finish, and heat haze didn't mean a **** thing to me. It sure killed framerates though on all but the most powerful video cards on the market. And if a game developer spent the lion's share of their time on playability? The reviewers would say "ho hum" and whine because there's no new bauble for them to look at... no new trick to perform on the very latest hardware that they get for free from manufacturers pimping their latest swag.

So yeah Bin drinkin, it looks like the PC based game industry is shooting itself in the foot. I can understand why most kids today would rather play a console based game. Hugely lower entrance fee and everyone is on an equal footing. And that has to appeal to a lot of parents out there with limited financial resources.

Comment

Originally posted by fuegerstef
                  Fixed...
                  hehe

Another reason why Pc games dont do so well is because of a litle thing called ADVERTISING its so obvious yet so over looked. . . every games that does well has TV ads, i see countless numbers of Console games with TV ad's and everyone goes out and buy's them because the ad made them look good, very rare you see a PC game ad and there was NO UT2004 ads on tele in England which is plain stupid, in the UK pc gaming is NOT common play but if people saw an AD on TV showing all the best action from UT2004 they WOULD buy it

Comment

Originally posted by Boksha
                    So because more people have PCs, the average knowledge to get a PC is lower so PC games are on the decline? Something doesn't wash here...
                    The problem arises when users have to do tasks like patch their game, and god forbid, update their drivers. You simply would not BELIVE how many people return PC games to us as "faulty" because they dont have the know-how of how to even get it running.
                    So while the ratio of computers: people has gone up, at the same time the ratio of people:that_have_a_clue has plummeted.
                    Its far far easier for people to grab a PS2/XB game, put it in their machine and play. Tasks that involve "hands on" things with your PC, like driver updating for example, are taken out of the equation.

What i was mentioning about the retailers too : people are being sold computers that are simply unsuitable for gaming. The guys computer i was refering to couldnt run UT04 at more than 9 fps. What do you think the likly hood of him considering buying other games for his PC when he owns both a PS2 and Xbox ?

You said it yourself, the average knowledge required to get a PC is lower, to use it properly however is another matter.
                    Of course, im refering to the UK here, i dont know how it stands in other countrys, but having worked in retail for a long time, i can assure you that the average person who comes and buys a PC game off us will not be PC litterate. Id estimate that we get 1 in 6 games returned because they cant figure out how to get it to work. Infact, i wouldnt be supprised if that figure was lower, ill check it out this weekend.

Comment

oh ok then... sorry, i assumed there would be intelligent people here who could discuss it, not testosterone laden boys just home from school

whatever - btw, my son is huge, pumps 60 kilos on the benchpress and would kick your **** thru the floor if machismo is the order of discussion
                      Yeesh. Who was that directed at? :bulb:

Anyway. if you think about it, consoles are becoming more and more like PC's. They can use keyboards and mice and HDs, have internet links, allow web browsing, play DVD movies, ect. And PCs are becoming more and more game oriented (i.e. all graphics cards advertise that they offer the "ultimate gaming experience"). At some point the two are going to merge into a single system and become part of a massively powerful home entertainment system that will handle all video and audio.

Comment

imo the online experience on the pc is far better than any console game I've played so far...the biggest reason being the number of players...I haven't seen a decent console game support more than 16 players...ut2k4 is awesome on a big map with 32 players and other games like battlefield 1942/vietnam...which support 64+ people...joint ops supporting 150....it's just no comparision in online play...

one of the things that gets associated with pc gaming is high cost...while certainly pc gaming does require a bit more cash...but you don't need a $300 graphics card every year or upgrade every component when something new comes out...I built a 1.2ghz athlon...256mb ram and a radeon 8500 computer back when the 8500 was firest released which was about I wanna say 3 or 4 years back...that computer still can play all the games out today...though now at much lower detail settings and slowdowns...but the point is if you put some cash towards that system and give it a decent upgrade in the cpu + ram department you would be able to get very acceptable performance and still look pretty decent...yes if you want the absolute best quality and best fps you'll need to pour in a lot of money...but the midrange computers can still run games very well...just not at the highest settings...

and before any console user flames me I own an x-box...ps2 and gamecube...but my pc still gets the most playing time by far

Comment

Do they make UnrealEd for consoles?

Comment

Originally posted by Angel_Mapper
                            Do they make UnrealEd for consoles?
                            Yes, it's a little stripped down though: Pariah's Map Maker...

Now even Whitewulf/Antioch can make own decent maps....

Comment

Originally posted by Agent
                              I meant if the dumb people are NEW people, what happened to the old people that did know how to handle their PCs? Did they leave for the consoles en masse, or have they become idiots themselves?
                              The absolute amount of people that know how to handle a PC can't have gotten lower, and if these people aren't enough to classify PC gaming as "alive" then PC gaming never was alive in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by fuegerstef
                                Yes, it's a little stripped down though: Pariah's Map Maker...

Now even Whitewulf/Antioch can make own decent maps....
                                timesplitters 2 also has it's own editor...personally people sharing all their maps on x-box live...I just don't want to see because of all the giant room with big weapon levels...but they say they're making it user friendly and extremely easy to use...I just hope people try making actual levels out of it

Comment

Working...
                                X