[ot]lcd and "burning"...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[ot]lcd and "burning"...

Now, remember how crt's can like get image burn-in if you don't run a screensaver or have it turn off after a while? well, afaik, this isn't supposed to happen to lcds. However, I have an lcd and was just asleep for about 5 hours, and I had a game open (Rose Online), and there seems to be noticeable elements of the game's UI on my screen as lighter pixels. Aren't lcd's supposed to be immune to this?

=\

I dont have one but I found this, http://www.dslwebserver.com/main/fr_...reen-burn.html

Comment

The only type of display that is not susceptible to any type of burn-in is DLP. CRT's, projection TV's, plasmas, and LCD's are all susceptible to the threat of image burn or residual image effects.

Comment

Companies will LIE to push the new fad tech even if it isn't ready and even by their own words saying technology like LCD is too hard to make to not have imperfections (bad pixels).

Comment

hmm, well, i think this just turned my lcd approval rating down a tad, i still love them and think they're great tho, just ****** me off a bit that i always thought these were immune to burn, oh well, i need a new display anyways.

no big deal, luckly the stucj/burned pixels are near the edge of the screen, but they still stick out a bit.

thanks for the replies

Comment

Although anything *can* get burn-in, screensavers have been pointless for nearly a decade. Back then, burn-in happened so fast, it'd make your head spin. Turn off the monitor when not in use, and you'll take care of that prob.

Dicky B (really, I'm on my computer like 14-20 hours every day [no, really, I don't sleep much, 2 hours last night], no burn in at all. Yeah, I turn it off whenever I'm not right there in front of it)

ps- dark, low-contrast wallpapers help, too, I would imagine.

Comment

Re: [ot]lcd and "burning"...

Originally posted by Sailor_Saturn
              Now, remember how crt's can like get image burn-in if you don't run a screensaver or have it turn off after a while? well, afaik, this isn't supposed to happen to lcds. However, I have an lcd and was just asleep for about 5 hours, and I had a game open (Rose Online), and there seems to be noticeable elements of the game's UI on my screen as lighter pixels. Aren't lcd's supposed to be immune to this?

=\
              Modern CRTs do not suffer from image burn in...this is a myth.

Older mainframe (green screens) suffered from image burn in, but I can absolutely guarantee you that your monitor does not. First of all, your picture is displayed by electron guns in the back of the tube that align to form the picture on your screen, so there's nothing to heat the glass up to burn the image in. Also, the picture on your screen is not constant, it's being drawn and redrawn so fast that you barely can detect it's happening. Finally, power emissions on current environmentally friendly "green" monitors (not to be confused with "green screens") are extremely low, there's no way you're gonna burn the image in, even if the glass was heated up by the electron guns, which it's not.

Dispel this myth and let it never be spoken again. Screensavers are entirely unnecessary for modern color CRT monitors.

Passive LCD screens do not suffer from image burn in, as the picture is displayed by transistors positioned along the sides of the screen (these are lit in sequence, which gives you the image that you see).

Now newer LCD screens are ACTIVE matrix, meaning there's a transistor positioned at each pixel on the screen....I never thought about it before, but yeah, it might be possible to get some image burn in on an active matrix screen....

Comment

Originally posted by Spaz007
                Companies will LIE to push the new fad tech even if it isn't ready and even by their own words saying technology like LCD is too hard to make to not have imperfections (bad pixels).
                Millions of transistors in an active matrix make for millions of opportunities for them to go bad.

In fact, it's remarkable that there aren't MORE bad pixels, especially considering most computer equipment isn't tested *at all* before it's sold.

Comment

Working...
                X