Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UT2K4 instead of halflife 2, was i wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Angel_Mapper
    Modding is easier in 2k4. UEd is superior in a lot of different ways.
    So much for all of Valve's claims about it being mod friendly.

I was actually surprised when I checked PlanetHalfLife and saw that there wasn't much to be found in terms of mods for HL2.

Not that their community will care that much, Valve bought all the popular mods to develop in-house.

Comment

Originally posted by Iceboy2003
      So much for all of Valve's claims about it being mod friendly.

I was actually surprised when I checked PlanetHalfLife and saw that there wasn't much to be found in terms of mods for HL2.

Not that their community will care that much, Valve bought all the popular mods to develop in-house.
      HL2 vs UT2k4 on a UT forum.. Ok, anyway, regardless of the obvious outcome of THIS thread, here's my 2 cents (US currency):

HL2 modding easier: Yes and No.
      Yes, because to start a mod, it's basically a Monkey Clicks The Button. You only have to download the SDK (click click), then Create A Mod (click click). The directory structure is all set up for you with tool links and everything. Way easy.

No, because to mod source code, you'll need an external C compiler, namely C#, unless you're masochistic and want to convert to C++. Also, the map editor is either easier or harder, depending on whether or not you already know how to use the old style MapSpaceIsInitiallyVacuum editing style instead of UT's HollowFromSolid way.

Also, to test your multiplayer mod with HL2, you need two copies of the game. :/ With UT2k4(2k3,99), you only need two computers for that.

HL2 doesn't monkey with the whole replication stuff the same way that UT2k4 does. There are client and server DLLs, and it's easier for the n00b to know what machine does what. Less confusing, but not necessarily better.

As HL2 uses real DLLs in mods, there's also a humongo security hole that goes with that, however, you also get a crapload more freedom. (like the difference between java and C++)

Dicky B (oops, that was way too verbose. I'll shut up now)

Comment

Originally posted by CaTdAeMoN
        Counterstrike and CS:S are great games, they just lack replay value.
        :bulb:
        CS still has some replay value, only because it's been around long enough to accumulation some great minimods.
        I don't play CSS anymore...
        It's all HL2DM!
        Whute

And I've moved from UT modding to Source... I feel I'm a traitor... But Source and hammer are just so much more versitile.
        I'm sorry. Now that Valve's released all the SDK tools, I just can't help myself.

Comment

UT2004 has been my favorite game since the demo. which I downloaded overnight on 56k. It became a lot better when I got broadband.

HL2 was a really fun game. THe only reason I keep it installed though is Garry's mod. Garry's mod is a lot of fun.

Comment

Heh, the story of how I came to love UT2004 is rather interesting.

I remember I was surfing on a website, and I saw news of a "UT2004 demo". At first, I didn't even bother with it since I had UT2003 and I believed that the demo would suck, since UT2003, to be honest, didn't live up to my expectations and ruined the enormous respect I had for DE/Epic.

One day, I was bored so I downloaded the demo, and to me this "Onslaught" mode seemed pretty intriguing, so I loaded it up online, and I was in love with it! Then I checked out some of the maps for DM, and those rocked too!

The hype for me had risen, until finally when UT2004 came out, I bought 3 collectors editions at 30 bucks each (the best value of a video game ever) and sold two of them for $90 each!

Since then, I've loved Epic, DE and the UT franchise, as I did when I first discovered UT.

Oh, and I was quite happy I made 90 dollars off the game as well!

Comment

You hated UT2k3... so why the name UT2k3Freak? :bulb:

Comment

Originally posted by Zygar
                You hated UT2k3... so why the name UT2k3Freak? :bulb:
                sarcasm?

Comment

If you want outstanding, addicting, simple, actionary (new word?), awesome, fun and a cool multiplayer game you want UT2k4, obviously.

If you want an single player game wich is just as good, you need HL2.

Comment

Working...
                  X