6800LE, same fps as FX5200

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ch41nbr8kr
    A P4 1.7 can be overclocked quite well and achieve some nice performance.
    Erm P4 Williamettes are **** overclockers due to being 0.18 micron. He'd be better binning it (or selling it for whatever he can get, but not much) and getting a faster P4, or, if he's gonna be getting a new motherboard anyway, consider going with AMD.

Comment

Originally posted by dirtydog
      Erm P4 Williamettes are **** overclockers due to being 0.18 micron. He'd be better binning it (or selling it for whatever he can get, but not much) and getting a faster P4, or, if he's gonna be getting a new motherboard anyway, consider going with AMD.
      Disagree about Willametes. I could not get them to overclock for a while, but after much trial and error achieved some nice results. You can get it up to 2.2 or 2.3 with adequate air cooling, or even higher with better cooling. They don't get as good of a result as Northwoods, but they are not useless.

Agree about going to AMD, but just buying a new mobo is cheaper.

With a good S478 mobo you can always upgrade to a more powerful P4 later on, but if you go with a Socket A mobo, you're stuck with a Sempron or an older Athlon. S754 mobos are just a waste of time and good S939 mobos are still very expensive.

The main disadvantage of S478 is that Intel is switching to S775, but it will take a while for S775 mobos and CPUs to become worth their price.

Athlons are very overclockable (most of them), but as I see it the original poster's goal is to achieve best performance while spending the least amount of money.

An ASUS P4P800 SE will cost under $100, and a good cooler will cost no more than $30 - $40 if you shop around.

If I am wrong and budget is not your main concern, then I'd go with an AMD. Get a good Socket 939 mobo, such as ASUS A8V Deluxe and a good CPU, such as an Athlon 64 3800+.

Comment

Originally posted by ch41nbr8kr
        Disagree about Willametes. I could not get them to overclock for a while, but after much trial and error achieved some nice results. You can get it up to 2.2 or 2.3 with adequate air cooling, or even higher with better cooling. They don't get as good of a result as Northwoods, but they are not useless.
        2.0 or 2.1 is more likely, and it'd be hot I imagine. I've never had the 'pleasure' of owning a Williamette though (just two Northwoods) so I am only saying what I've heard lots of other people say. Also the Williamette only has 256K of L2 which cripples it even more. My advice to him, unless he's on an ultra tight budget, would be upgrade the cpu entirely (and get a new mobo to do that). The cpu is what's crippling his system and even running it at 2.1 or 2.2, it still wouldn't be any great shakes.

Comment

Working...
        X