Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Settings Yield The Best Sound Quality?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by S3Y3N
    Well he never stated all his settings performance were identical through experimentation, which I dont think he was implying either. I think he might mean that he cant really "tell" the different, probably because the difference is very subtle or slight, that you need a sound guru to notice, or you need lots of experimentation to make the judgement.
    Exactly.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Well he never stated all his settings performance were identical through experimentation, which I dont think he was implying either. I think he might mean that he cant really "tell" the different, probably because the difference is very subtle or slight, that you need a sound guru to notice, or you need lots of experimentation to make the judgement.

If its performance (meaning resources being used by your CPU cycles) you are looking for then anything less than EAX should be acceptable. If you want performance and sound quality then go for hardware audio with a sound card rather than the motherboards onboard, which even though are better now than ever they still dont compare to the offerings of Creatives Sound Blaster Audigy.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Re: What Settings Yield The Best Sound Quality?

Originally posted by Virax

I've never really been able to tell via experimentation, so I'm hoping someone knowledgable will be able to answer me these questions.
    Then why ask?

If your sound setup sounds identical with different settings then I'd be asking which setting is best for PERFORMANCE rather than audio quality...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I use Hardware 3D (no EAX). You seem to get better positional audio without the muddy occlusion that EAX causes.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by NiTrOcALyPsE
    Isn't that a good thing? I thought people complained about how you could hear somebody pick up a shield from 30 miles away.
    God no, I want to hear it from as far away as possible. :0

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Virax
    The occlusion makes it impossible to hear anything from across the map.
    Isn't that a good thing? I thought people complained about how you could hear somebody pick up a shield from 30 miles away.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    God no, EAX is horrible. The occlusion makes it impossible to hear anything from across the map.

Anyhow, thanks everyone for the responses. I'm still experimenting, as I personally can't decide on if I prefer Hardware or Software.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hardware + EAX is the best audio quality setting.

Provided you have a soundcard that can handle EAX3 of course.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    yes i do

Leave a comment:

• replied
    EAX. Hardware seems to make the sound coming from sources you can see louder, outside your fov less loud, while EAX seems to make them equally loud

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I use software mode and system driver

Leave a comment:

• replied
    IMO Hardware is better

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I especially started doing some tests when I got my new sound card (Turtle Beach Santa Cruz) and new headphones (Sennheiser HD 202).

I use standard 3D Audio when I plan on using VOIP, but I prefer Hardware 3D Audio over EAX for the more serious games.

EAX just has a little too much ambience for my stereo setup.

Its all personal preference though. Just test them all out. :up:

Leave a comment:

• started a topic What Settings Yield The Best Sound Quality?

What Settings Yield The Best Sound Quality?

I was curious - what will I see the best sound quality from? Keep in mind that I prefer to be able to hear where things are coming from best (from a distannce), lnot hear alot of special EAX effects.

So - is sound better with 'system driver' checked, or unchecked?
    Is 3D Audio or Hardware Audio (WITHOUT EAX) better?

I've never really been able to tell via experimentation, so I'm hoping someone knowledgable will be able to answer me these questions.
Working...
X