Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would it have been better for the series if...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by WoW Punisher
    jes seemed to get into the same interests of nitro. AHEM... if it wasn't for UT2K3 there'd BE no double dom!
    Why not? It's in UT2k4 as well, and once you're over the loss of the boostdodge you'll find it's still a lot of fun.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by WoW Punisher
    jes seemed to get into the same interests of nitro. AHEM... if it wasn't for UT2K3 there'd BE no double dom!
    True... But 2K3 feels more like a pay2play beta version of 2K4 nowadays, than an actual retail game as it was back when it came out... :bulb:

And what do you mean? Interests?? :weird:

Leave a comment:

• replied

Leave a comment:

• replied
    UT'99 > UT2k4 > UT2k3 > Q3A > * (gameplay-wise)

UT2k4 > UT2k3 > Q3A > UT'99 > * (graphics-wise)

UT2k4 > UT'99 > Q3A > UT2k3 > * (mod-wise)

My humble 25 cents... :heart:

Lighting in UT'99 was good though... :bulb: :up:

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by aTourist
    i still continuously find myself dead because i try to switch weapons as fast as i used to in ut2003
    i wonder why ppl dislike ut2003 if they like fast paced fps
    Because fast paced is not the same as having to hit keys really fast.
    One of the worst things about UT2k3 was the fact that you could downright increase your shots per second by rapidly switching between different weapons. You didn't have to think about it, just keep ramming the keys for the LG and/or shockrifle/RL/flak and you could never fire less than one shot every 0.6 or so seconds. IMO that's just ridiculous.

And yes, I do agree UT2k3 was slower than UT, simply because of all the bizarre jumping moves. These made it a lot easier to get away from splash weapons (and get away from opponents in general) and as a result there were much less deaths and (as a result of that) frags. The individual weapons were weaker too.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by aTourist
    i still continuously find myself dead because i try to switch weapons as fast as i used to in ut2003
    Were you new to the unreal series with UT2003? if so then i can understand your comments, however coming from UT to 2k3 was just horrific.
    UT2004 is much better, but still doesnt have that feel of UT.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    UT2k3 was the worst thing that could happen! It was built on a consolegame (Unreal Championship) and was in many ways a step back from UT99. Its built on a game that wasn't meant to be a sequel to UT99, but rather a "Unreal-ish" consolegame. And the interface in UT99 is still the best I've seen in any game...

Introducing doublejump was a big mistake. It changed movement too much, and also mapdesign had to change because of that. Now you need more open maps to be able to move in. People LOVED the movement in UT99, why change it so much?!? Maby it's fun for new players, but it wasn't seen as a good thing for large parts of the UT community then.

Player scaling is all wrong in UT2k3/2k4 comparing to the one in UT99. They are waaaay to small. Makes it seem like players move faster on your screen, while it feels like yourself is moving much slower than in UT99. Playing UT2k3 with 115% playermodels makes it feel much more like UT99. It also looked very weird on many maps, which obvious was designed for bigger models. Epic new about this problems, but they never did anything about it.

They made every weapon in the game weaker. That made it a more defensive tactical style game, where attacking wasnt as good strategy as it was before. That made 1on1's much more boring and less entertaining. Maby not for people who was already pretty defensive in UT99, but for most people it just wasnt as fun anymore.

UT2k4 is a good example that it IS possible to make a sequel to a game that people would gladly move over to. I guess 99% of all UT2k3 players now play UT2k4, because they kept the good parts, and also added new stuff. That didn't happen when they released UT2k3. They changed, f**** up, or removed the good parts, and added some stuff that people didnt like.

There are as many people still playing UT99 as there is people playing UT2k4. Noone plays UT2k3 anyore. Why?!? Because UT2k3 was no real sequel to Unreal Tournament. It was a consolegame ported to PC. UT2k4 still has all the flaws that made people stick to UT99...

I played UT2k3 for several months in clans, because I thought noone would play UT99 anymore. How wrong I was! More and more people started moving back to UT99 when they found out how much more fun it was!! UT2k3 actually brought new life to UT99...

I'm still hoping for a real sequel to UT99...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Yes.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Morba
    Yes.
    UT2004 was what everyone wanted and expected from UT2003.
    UT2003 was a was of time and money imo

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Re: Would it have been better for the series if...

Originally posted by BabyNuke
    UT2003 had never been released?
    Yes.
    UT2004 was what everyone wanted and expected from UT2003.
    UT2003 was a was of time and money imo

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by garcia_y_vega

When 2k4 was released I had a beefier rig which could handle the engine approperatly. I was starry eyed over ONS for about a week, then became disgusted with it (way to much spam and unbalanced vehicles) and returned to DM and TDM. IMO Unreal is built to play DM and TDM gametypes. For me this is the core content. The gameplay of DM and TDM is much more fluid and the weapons are actually balanced. DM and TDM feel polished, ONS feels like a novel idea haphazardly tossed together.

without ONS people would just be playing more AS
    I TOTALY agree with you. Totaly. DM (well I dont like DM much, prefer TDM) are balanced very well, where onslaught is not balanced at all with. I think ons could be reworked and made better, more balanced gametype.

AS is a very good gametype, I dont play much however because it needs good team to make the game realy fun.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    UT can feel faster since, as you said, most of the maps are 'smaller', tight and confined. As for UT2k4, it's highly unlikely that someone who played both UT2k4 and UT2k3 would think UT2k4 to be faster. But whatever each individual's perception it is a fact that UT2k3 was the fastest.

EDIT: smoother does not equal slower, btw.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by senshu
    UT2k3 was/is faster than either UT99 or UT2k4.
    UT2003 is a lot slower paced than UT and UT2004

UT was a lot quicker paced mainly because of the trans and also the maps were smaller so it made you feel like you were running quicker, not to mention the weapons were a lot more powerful

UT2004 feels quicker because the weapons are more stronger, thats about it, UT2003 feels like CS

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Maybe yes, although i think most ppl who bought UT2003 also bought UT2004 ...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by TheDeacon
    Downright bad.

Seriously, the first day I played it I was like "oh my God, tell me this isn't real." Since we were visiting my mother in law and she bought me the game, I was OBLIGATED to play it for an entire weekend. It was like work.

On the way home my wife told me she knew that I hated the game, because I was making a "wincing" face while playing.

Yeah, it was an awful game in my opinion. 2004 brought back a little bit of the speed, more of a serious tone (2003 announcer should be eaten and assaulted by hungry jackals) and friggin onslaught, which is the main reason why anyone bought the game. People think things are dead now, imagine if onslaught were never released....there'd be like 12 people playing
    Nothing personal against TheDeacon, as he sometimes brings teh funnay, but I've never disagreed with one single post on this forum as much as I disagree with this one. Evey single sentence, except for the middle paragraph, is dead wrong. For instance, UT2k3 was/is faster than either UT99 or UT2k4. And since there are far more than 12 people playing UT2k3 even now, your 'theory' about how well it would do without onslaught is just bogus. Think of how many quality players left because of onslaught: I'd rather have them back than the droves of idiots we have playing ONS now.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X