Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would it have been better for the series if...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrScruff
    the only thing UT was good for was introducing me to the UT series?

DI i ever tell you guys how i "accidently" bought UT2003?
    Please, share

Comment

Originally posted by Lengis
      Wow, you talk like an idiot.

Well, i'm learning from you. ^^

Comment

Originally posted by Daspadger
        Well, i'm learning from you. ^^
        lol

Comment

I found the UT series thru 2k3. I think that it was a good game. Yes, the devs and mappers had to learn in order for 2k4 to be what it is. Seems like the mods and such are also really flourishing under 2k4. I am SO GLAD they put back Assault. It has become my favorite, I still enjoy DM, and CTF, but AS is just what I need.:up: If they hadn't released 2k3, then 2k4 would be less of a game, IMNSHO.

Comment

Originally posted by BeerNut
            But I wish 2k3 was never released because I see it as a superior game that no one plays anymore
            Agreed, sadly. All this talk has got me missing it. Going to reinstall UT2k3...

Comment

Originally posted by senshu
              Agreed, sadly. All this talk has got me missing it. Going to reinstall UT2k3...
              I kinda miss Matrix Moves BR. That used to be a real blast...

But then again I also miss DOM.

But then again, I also miss CTF-Goliath (or whatever the big outdoorsy stock UT2k4 CTF/BR map that came with the demo was called), which will probably never be played again. :bulb:

And I miss TTR as well.

Too much stuff to really make sense of, UT has been a long wierd ride thus far and it'll probably only get wierder. So what difference does it make whether 2k3 was released or not?

For the IMO bit, 2k3 was cool. Not as cool as UT, but still a'ight in its way. It was so skill- heavy it was insane, but when you got locked into a duel with somebody it took so long you felt like you could almost see the guy's face on the other end of the line, it was almost like a flight sim... you get little glimpses of that in 2k4 but it's never as intense.

I'm a UT junkie and will likely remain that way. I've never run into anything else in a PC game that offered me the same broad vistas, be they aesthetic, tactical or otherwise. What I hope for the future is that Epic will take a little time off, recharge their batteries, and make us a product that's as much a game as it is an engine. They do that well when they decide they want to.

My vote is no, since what's done is done and speculation is just so much dross.

Comment

Originally posted by The5thviruz
                I liked the combo in UT2k3.

Comment

i never paid attention to the 03 stuff, to be honest.

Comment

if we didn't have 03 then 04 would have been just like 03

04 is quite simply what everyone hoped 03 would be, 2003 has put people off for sure but without it and all our moaning UT2004 would not be so great

Comment

Heh.

My mother in law bought me ut 2k3 for christmas, so I was quite literally obligated to play it for a fews days.

I felt that it was so bad that I quit playing fps games for nearly a year after that, no joke. The announcer was silly and the bulky player models were just ridiculous. The game had gotten an adolescent feel to it :/

People talk smack about onslaught, but it's quite possibly the only reason many people gave UT another chance. Seems a bit strange that anyone would bad mouth it.

P.S. - ONS as a gametype is not flawed, it's the players that are flawed.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDeacon
                        People talk smack about onslaught, but it's quite possibly the only reason many people gave UT another chance. Seems a bit strange that anyone would bad mouth it.

Comment

Originally posted by BeerNut
                          I thought UT2k3 was a better game in terms of gameplay than 2k4. Of course 2k4 is more polished and complete, but I always preferred the raw 2k3 'feel'.

IMO, 2k3 was lightly received for 2 main reasons:
                          1.) TOUGH learning curve (scared off many casual players)
                          2.) VERY FEW good maps released with the original game (most literally hurt to play)

2k4 did work to fix the above problems, and as a result sees a larger player base... But seeing some of the amazing things that a skilled player could do in 2k3 really drove me to get better; a feeling I just don't have with 2k4.

Would 2k4 have been more popular if 2k3 was never released?... probably. But I wish 2k3 was never released because I see it as a superior game that no one plays anymore
                          I agree:up:

Anyway theres still loads of us playing it, so reinstall [WP]swiss server is full every night TDM & DM if you live in Europe.

Comment

Originally posted by M4H0N3Y
                            I agree:up:

Anyway theres still loads of us playing it, so reinstall [WP]swiss server is full every night TDM & DM if you live in Europe.
                            I'm in NA... thanks anyways though

Comment

We could rephrase the question:

If UT2004 was never released, would you say UT2003 is a disappointment, or downright bad?

Comment

Originally posted by aTourist
                                We could rephrase the question:

If UT2004 was never released, would you say UT2003 is a disappointment, or downright bad?
                                Downright bad.

Seriously, the first day I played it I was like "oh my God, tell me this isn't real." Since we were visiting my mother in law and she bought me the game, I was OBLIGATED to play it for an entire weekend. It was like work.

On the way home my wife told me she knew that I hated the game, because I was making a "wincing" face while playing.

Yeah, it was an awful game in my opinion. 2004 brought back a little bit of the speed, more of a serious tone (2003 announcer should be eaten and assaulted by hungry jackals) and friggin onslaught, which is the main reason why anyone bought the game. People think things are dead now, imagine if onslaught were never released....there'd be like 12 people playing

Comment

Working...
                                X