Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would it have been better for the series if...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought UT2k3 was a better game in terms of gameplay than 2k4. Of course 2k4 is more polished and complete, but I always preferred the raw 2k3 'feel'.

IMO, 2k3 was lightly received for 2 main reasons:
    1.) TOUGH learning curve (scared off many casual players)
    2.) VERY FEW good maps released with the original game (most literally hurt to play)

2k4 did work to fix the above problems, and as a result sees a larger player base... But seeing some of the amazing things that a skilled player could do in 2k3 really drove me to get better; a feeling I just don't have with 2k4.

Would 2k4 have been more popular if 2k3 was never released?... probably. But I wish 2k3 was never released because I see it as a superior game that no one plays anymore

Comment

I'm glad they are both out. I'd rather have them try twice, than only once. Besides, the plan was to do a yearly version. Of course, we all know that's not how it turned out, but I still liked the idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Jake-SF
        I dont know, I liked ut2003 more than ut2004 because ut2004 include the awfull onslaught I hate so much and which everyone love...

I think onslaught saved ut.

before onslaught it was like seen it, done it.

Comment

2k3 > *

Comment

It's good imo that UT2003 came out, if it didnt, i wouldn't be sitting here. I began with UT2003.

Comment

Originally posted by Daspadger
              It's good imo that UT2003 came out, if it didnt, i wouldn't be sitting here. I began with UT2003.
              Same.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace44
                Same.
                And then i went over to UT2004 and was all like omg, teh pwn! I tried the UT99 demo and was all like omg, teh pwn! (Recently tried DeathBall and became like omg, teh pwn! ^^)

Comment

Originally posted by The5thviruz
                  The shock combo.
                  'thought you were talking about the 'shoot flakball with minigun' one

I think that the ones who were disappointed with 2k3 bought 2k4 anyway, just because nearly everyone who has played both agrees : this game rocks, has more support, and a better community.

Comment

I see a lot of good insight in this thread. Someone said that the mistakes in 2003 had to be made in order to learn from them. I think that sums up my opinion quite a bit. They tried to do some revolutionary things with the franchise and the engine, and they took some great risks. Some worked out great and others didn't. UT2004 would be the game that it is without 2003 as a stepping stone.

Personally, I enjoyed UT2003. I wasn't completely addicted to it, but it was fun. UT2004, on the other hand, is the best game I've ever played.

Comment

Re: Would it have been better for the series if...

Originally posted by BabyNuke
                      UT2003 had never been released?

I think that because UT2003 was a bit of a dissapointment, people didn't bother to get UT2004, eventhough it is a great game, got great reviews and was chosen as "Multiplayer Game of the Year".
                      I doubt it would've made much of a difference. Either way, there's little point on dwelling on it.

Comment

I didn't get UT2003 myself (was distracted by MoHAA) but I agree, would of been better to wait for UT2004 rather than release UT2003.

Comment

Originally posted by Daspadger
                          And then i went over to UT2004 and was all like omg, teh pwn! I tried the UT99 demo and was all like omg, teh pwn! (Recently tried DeathBall and became like omg, teh pwn! ^^)
                          Wow, you talk like an idiot.

Comment

UT2003 was utter ****, thats probbley due to the fact that DE had control of it right from the start, they wanted to put health and shield chargers in the maps so you didnt have health pickups, and they also were thinking about spawning every single weapon with low ammo as well for DM and CTF. I think DE were one of the main problems with UT2003,

addmitly they do make awesome maps, but they shouldnt of made a core game.

afaik DE were the ones that thought of the double dodge, double jump etc to

UT2004 is a really good game, the addren is nerfed bigtime, but its still a nice feature to have, same goes for the shield gun as well. I would still like the animations to be like UT though, (one arm holding the weapon)

ONS could of been good, but unfortanlly its one of the biggest flawed games iv ever played, i said this in the demo and everyone said i was speaking ****, and it turned out that i was right. DM and CTF in UT2004 on the other hand are v.good

Comment

the only thing UT was good for was introducing me to the UT series?

DI i ever tell you guys how i "accidently" bought UT2003?

Comment

Originally posted by theroguepk
                                I didn't get UT2003 myself (was distracted by MoHAA) but I agree, would of been better to wait for UT2004 rather than release UT2003.
                                Distracted by MOHAA? The only distraction that game gave me was nightmares so I couldn't sleep. :bulb: (it is, ATM, the only game I know with NO hit feedback)

Comment

Working...
                                X