Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would it have been better for the series if...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would it have been better for the series if...

UT2003 had never been released?

I think that because UT2003 was a bit of a dissapointment, people didn't bother to get UT2004, eventhough it is a great game, got great reviews and was chosen as "Multiplayer Game of the Year".

Yup, I think you are correct... I personally liked UT2003 but it would have been better if it hadn't been released I'm afraid :/

Comment

I dont know, I liked ut2003 more than ut2004 because ut2004 include the awfull onslaught I hate so much and which everyone love...

Comment

I liked the combo in UT2k3.

Comment

what combo?

Comment

Originally posted by Jake-SF
            I dont know, I liked ut2003 more than ut2004 because ut2004 include the awfull onslaught I hate so much and which everyone love...
            Dont worry, your not alone

I did like some things in 03 over 04, but the main reason 03 was a useful release was for mappers and modders. Some brilliant content has been made with it. If 03 hadnt been released, many things could be further behind in development now.
            Plus, 03 provided a good insight into what did, and what didnt work. If it wasnt released, whats to say 04 wouldnt have been the same as 03 ? If the mistakes wasnt made, how could anything be learnt from them ?

Comment

Originally posted by WoW Punisher
              what combo?
              The shock combo.

Comment

if 2k3 wasn't bad then 2k4 wouldn't have been so good?!

Comment

i also liked UT2003, and i think they did the right thing releasing it, it's an amazing game, and sometimes i still play it... of course it's nowhere near UT2004, but for me, anything that's in Unreal Universe is good... it's just like sex, when it's good, it's good; when it's bad it's still good

Comment

I loved 2k3, never liked the original as much.

Dont think there'll ever be any agreement on this, we all have different tastes...

Comment

Originally posted by Jezza101
                      Dont think there'll ever be any agreement on this, we all have different tastes...
                      :up:

Comment

I liked 2k3 ... 2k4 is better

I was stoked when they released 2k3, after years of UT ...

dunno - difficult one really, i say "no", but I know what the "yes" people mean.

Comment

2k3 was alright, if you were a new fan or if you were an old UT fan who was willing to just accept it was a different game and enjoy it for what it was. 2004 is better in terms of longevity, but too fragmented. I expect the next one to be something on a whole different level.

Comment

it wouldn't be much of a series then ... 2k3 was ok and the gfx were a great improvement, sure they lost a lot of the ut goty feel but hey, look at the improvements theyve made for 2k4 ....

Comment

Originally posted by Agent
                              ... 03 provided a good insight into what did, and what didnt work. If it wasnt released, whats to say 04 wouldnt have been the same as 03 ? If the mistakes wasnt made, how could anything be learnt from them ?
                              This is true. '03 was plagued by too many new movement options. While a good thing in many respects, these made map design difficult to gague, and made the weapons balance a nightmare which didn't end until the release of '04.

Static Meshes were the other innovation that made the challenge of getting '03 right much more difficult. While the maps looked great, they played like a$$, generally, and were just jammed with static meshes because the mappers were in new territory, and didn't realize that they screwed up gameplay in subtle ways if heaped all over each other.

All in all, I'd say whatever stumbles they took on the way to '04 was worth it. My posts from the release of the 'o4 demo pretty much say it all.

Comment

Working...
                              X