[OT] Gameing Tech, Where does it stop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[OT] Gameing Tech, Where does it stop?

What happens when the technology catches up with "real life"?? I mean, Textures, lighting, Physics, etc. What would happen to a game that was to life-like?? Where do we go from there? How long\can we get there?

you mean like once graphics and physics are exactly like real life? well i guess from there on games would stop trying to imrpove graphics and finally concentrate on the game itself!

Comment

if game technology catched up with real life there wouldnt be textures, lighting, and physics.

Comment

The Matrix

Comment

Originally posted by commander_keen2
          if game technology catched up with real life there wouldnt be textures, lighting, and physics.
          Well i guess so, but what good would a PC be then?
          But when i say that, i guess i should ask how much longer will the PC still be usefull?? When does it become obsolete?

Comment

Virtual Reality using holographic technology is the next logical step. You're right, there is only so far current technology can progress before a new paradigm emerges.

Comment

when it gets that far i really ain't gonna be playing UT style stuff.
              i hope there'll always be a need for pc games that aren't lifelike at all. i enjoy killing ut characters but when it becomes life like.... i dunno - a bit scary really

Comment

what if they dont let it get lifelife? i mean killing things that look and act 100% real. . . that aint gunna go down to well with some people

Comment

Originally posted by iron12
                  The Matrix
                  Nah:down: eXistenZ:up:

Comment

Re: [OT] Gameing Tech, Where does it stop?

Originally posted by Phear
                    What happens when the technology catches up with "real life"?? I mean, Textures, lighting, Physics, etc. What would happen to a game that was to life-like?? Where do we go from there? How long\can we get there?
                    hopefully we'll get back to nice pixely, 2d sidescrolling games then, giving the developers a chance to focus on what actually matters about a game - the gameplay.

Comment

The PC doesn't become obsolete for a long time, because it's going to take a SHITLOAD of power from both CPUs and GPUs before we get anywhere near lifelike technology. And even once a new paradigm emerges, like Spectre said, we'll probably still be running it on computers.

If you want to get technical, try to figure out how much power it will take to render a real-as-life scene in realtime on a holographic projector, and apply moore's law mathematically. You'll find that it will be at LEAST another 20 years, because there's no way we're going to be raytracing and whatnot in realtime in the next 10-20 years when it takes hours to it for a single static scene on a dual-proc based computer now.

Comment

Originally posted by iron12
                        The Matrix
                        so were going to live in a horribly lame movie? i fear that day :haha:

but technology COULD get to be lifelike, but just as virax said, that would take a **** load of power out of computers we dont have yet. maybe in like 2050 we could get a near lifelike view apon videogames, but i doubt it. plus, there will be people like me who wouldnt realize the difference between the game and reality, then another MAVAV would start :haha:

Comment

i think i remember an interview with Tim Sweeney about AI in future games. im not sure if he was talking about next gen games or farther in the future, but he was saying that character AI was going to change a lot. their AI will be completely linked to the rest of the game, such as there animation (witch will in some cases be completely controled by the AI), their surrounding, and audio in the game. heres an example of something that could happen:

your getting chases through a forest by 1 enemy soldier, who just called in reinforcements, he knows that you are very dangerous because you have killed X number bad guys and you forgot to hide the bodies. you reach very dark cave so you go inside, you walk slower so you dont make much noise, the soldier is right behind you and the reinforcements will be landing at his location in a few minutes. he walk into the cave and sees that its very dark he stops for a few seconds to think about going in side, he decides to go inside and look for you alone, so he turns on his gun mounted flashlight and starts to go in very slowly, waving his flashlight beam around making sure you not hiding behind any rocks. you are hiding on a ledge about 15 feet above the ground, you shoot him once, he drops his gun and falls to the ground, but he has seen your muzzle flash so he knows where you are. you cant tell if he is dead because its so dark and the flashlight on the gun is facing away from the soldier, you have to think, maybe he is taking out his side arm because he knows that you dont know if he is dead and he doesnt want to tuch the gun with the light on it. you run out of the cave after making sure the soldier is dead and the enemy reinforcements arrive and find the dead soldier and send out aircrafts to search the surrounding area.

Comment

The gaming market will be over run by thrackware ....

Comment

The next step is for textures, lighting, physics and AI to all be the same thing: a world composed of fundamental particles, that calculate themselves; that act as their own hitboxes, AI schemes, and lighting.

Comment

Working...
                              X