can they beat UT2004?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can they beat UT2004?

Because UT2004 got it all, its massive, a lot off fun, but can they make all that in the next UT, of course graphics will be better, but will it have the same HUGE amount of content like UT2004?

who's they?

Comment

You know, THEM

Comment

I reckon there will be less content

In ut2004 there was to much muts and gametypes for servers admins to pick from imho.
        (def a great thing for us though)

Hence the confusion when ppl just wanted to play ut2004 dm,instead they got ig,low grav,triple jumps ect.not many normal dm servers imho

Comment

hehe sorry THEM :alien:

NO i mean epic????

Comment

ID?

Comment

CliffyB said himself the next UT will have less gamemodes iirc.

Comment

you mean, like with a piece of 2 by 4?

Comment

Originally posted by Weenie
                  OSM!

Comment

Originally posted by Weenie
                    Good. About time they realize no one plays the retarded ones like DM and CTF

(i keed, i keed)

Comment

I just feel sorry for mappers like me who like to make their own content. It's going to take a lot longer in the new engine. You're going to need a render farm if you want to generate displacement maps in any reasonable amount of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Angel_Mapper
                        I just feel sorry for mappers like me who like to make their own content. It's going to take a lot longer in the new engine. You're going to need a render farm if you want to generate displacement maps in any reasonable amount of time.
                        yeah, i know what you mean...

also, with such high detail stuff, it seems like it woiuld be less flexible to be put in other maps..

Comment

True about what you're saying AM, but I use a decimater at work that re-renders a downscaled version of the original high-resolution model, while maintaining a "high-res" look to it. We use extremely high quality and high polygon-count aircraft models in real-time render, so we need to cut down the polys so that the playback looks smooth. Sure, we could play the higher-res models, but wow, do they eat up resources and bring even our most powerful machines, including SGI OCTANES, to a crawl.

I would hope that Epic realizes the strain their newer engine could put on mappers like yourself, and will come up with a reasonable method to decimate, or recalculate, the models and textures in an efficient fashion.

Comment

Re: can they beat UT2004?

Originally posted by mimic-DENMARK
                            Because UT2004 got it all, its massive, a lot off fun, but can they make all that in the next UT, of course graphics will be better, but will it have the same HUGE amount of content like UT2004?
                            Sure they can beat UT2004. Easily. Huge amounts of content do not in and of themselves make a game good. They can help, but good solid core gameplay is definitely more important. Quality definitely owns quantity. So all you'd really have to do to beat UT2004 is bring real UT gameplay to the current engine, which is already being undertaken by the devlopers of the UTR mod. And even better will be bringing UT gameplay to Unreal Engine 3.

Even on the old engine, I still prefer vanilla UT to vanilla UT2004. The gameplay more than makes up for the new wrapping paper.

I know this isn't the kind of answer you were looking for but it's still an answer, and there's very many that would agree with me.

Comment

im actually looking forward to texturing side of it, all you need is a simple diffuse map the lighting is all taken care of by the prerendered normal maps, not only that but you can use mix an match them for even more materials. it should be good for people like me who cant texture worth **** but can model . i hear that zbrush2 is supposed to be fantastic for anything organic.

edit:
                              and back on topic, i suppose less variation could be good, look at counter strike...

Comment

Working...
                              X