Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have to take back my new video card :(

It locks up the pc after about 3 games, UT and UT2k4 both. :cry:

My Mobo is a P4B533 and the card is a 6800 GT, has anyone heard of any problems with a 4AGP mobo and an 8AGP card?

You forgot the
    "Shhh...don't tell any1 I'm posting in the wrong forum"
    line

Comment

you can pick up a decent 8agp mobo for pretty cheap i got my nforce2 for £38 and i know you can get them cheaper than that if you shop around, might just be best of upgrading if you have some spare crimbo cash?

Comment

JarJar says:

"Yousa is needin a new motherboard, okie-day? AGP4X? Dat's baaaaaad bombin'."

Comment

PWNZOR3D

Comment

oh .... here goes the nvidia vs ati discussion again :yawn:

Comment

AGP 8x is completely backwards compatible with AGP 4x mobo slots on the hardware level (so no software driver woes)

The only potential problem you could have with AGP is that you put a 3.3V card in a 1.5V only slot.
              However they made special notches so you can't do that anymore (only older cards are missing that).

My bet is either a faulty video card or problems with the extra 12V line the 6800 needs.

...but you already know that ...

btw You won't notice much performance increase (as in 1-3 fps more) with an 8x mobo. The data throughput of 4x AGP is sufficient to keep up with the datacalculation.

Comment

the cards require a good deal of power..what size PSU do you have?

Comment

what PSU you got? the gt6x00 need lots of power

Comment

i have a 430 watt with an intel d875pbz board. make sure the power to your card is the only thing plugged into that power line. if you share the power with something else, it'll freeze up because of heat. i had teh same exact problem when i first bought my 6800GT, until i put it on its own power line. no need for a new mobo.

Comment

Another suggestion some people have reported to work:
                      Disable FastWrite in the BIOS

Comment

Originally posted by NotoriousBIC
                        Another suggestion some people have reported to work:
                        Disable FastWrite in the BIOS
                        What does that do? I'm just interested.

Comment

Originally posted by Distortional
                          What does that do? I'm just interested.
                          The theory:
                          Fast Writes improves all writes from the CPU to the graphics chip including:
                          • All 2D operations
                          • Operations involving writing to the frame buffer or sending any data to the graphics chip.
                          • Loading textures in Direct3D®into local memory.
                          • Writing push buffers to graphics local memory – this is where most of the performance boost is generated

The practice:
                          • Most of those operations are done by the GPU very fast so no need for it anymore (this is from the era that GPUs weren't as fast as they are now)
                          • Loads of stability issues and very few performance boosts...

Comment

K thanks.

Comment

I have a thermaltake 400 and something watt PSU, and the card was on its own cord.

When I get the new card tonight I'll try disabling the fast write. I had to put my 9700 back in so I could work today.

LMAO @ Marshda ^^

Comment

Working...
                              X