Remember "Die By The Sword"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remember "Die By The Sword"?

Perhaps some of you may know the good third person action RPG game back from 1998 unique by its control (VSIM). It made sword attacks possible however you wanted.

It's been a while since I thought about if this would be possible with the Unreal Engine. Imagine your character actually holding a melee weapon (e.g. a sword) in its hand and you're able to swing it around, controlling its movement like a turret (Goliath's turret). Collision with another player would inflict damage.

Another great thing in Die By The Sword was the ability to damage every single part of the enemy, like if you kept hitting the arm for several times (green-yellow-red) it fell off and the enemy couldn't attack anymore if it was his attacking arm. Or cutting off one of his legs to leave him hopping around helplessy on one leg. I wonder if this would be possible with the Unreal 2 Engine?

Are there people that played that game here?

never played it but I think it would be great for a duel 1on1 mod

'It's only a fleshwound!"

Comment

Originally posted by Captain_anarchy
      never played it but I think it would be great for a duel 1on1 mod

'It's only a fleshwound!"
      Is ChaosUT Duel anything like that?

"Come back, I'll bite your legs off!"

Comment

Originally posted by Nirvelli
        Is ChaosUT Duel anything like that?

"Come back, I'll bite your legs off!"
        Those guys from ChaosUT did an excellent job, I enjoyed this mod a lot.

But that's not quite what I mean. I haven't seen any mod so far making it possible to control a melee weapon by mouse in any desirable direction (not prefixed like Chaos UT).

Same goes for cutting/shooting someone's limbs off.

Comment

Unreal Championship 2 has melee moves (probably swords... though I haven't looked).

Comment

I had played that game but didnt like it that much (and couldnt finish it because of the boredom that textures gave me)

Comment

I found DBTS rather slow and awkward.. I would recommend instead something like Severance: Blade of Darkness - takes a HL2-style approach to objects in terms of interactivity so not only can you slice off a goblin's limb as you're fighting him, but if he's still alive you can pick up the severed limb and beat him to death with it - much fun is to be had decapitating zombies by picking up and hurling random weapons.. also has a very cool combo/stamina system

but yeah not enough games have that sort of crazy character damage modelling!

Comment

DBTS had a much more complete swordfighting system than Chaos DM - it felt more like swordfighting and less like pressing buttons.

Comment

DBTS In my opinion has the best sword fighting system ever, and it seriously needs to be put in more games. If someone could put it into a UT mod, especially Chaos, that would be DA BOMB!!!

For those of you who haven't played DBTS, the sword fighting system goes like this. See that keypad on the right side of your keyboard with the square of numbers? You use that to guide the sword. If you press and hold 4, then hold 6 and release 4 your sword will swing horizontally. If you press and hold 7 then press 3 and release 7 your character will do a diagonal slash.

You could come up with your own combinations of moves. How bout a strong horizontal slash, twisting them around then a quick shot to the back of the head.

I loved how you could chop off different sections of each limb, from hand to forearm to bicep. If you chopped off two legs you'd kill them but where's the fun in that when you can go for the head?

Very revolutionary game you never hear much about. I highly recommend picking up if you see it anywhere, it costs about $12 now with the expansion.

Edit: "Bloody hell!"

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Danny
                    I found DBTS rather slow and awkward.. I would recommend instead something like Severance: Blade of Darkness - takes a HL2-style approach to objects in terms of interactivity so not only can you slice off a goblin's limb as you're fighting him, but if he's still alive you can pick up the severed limb and beat him to death with it - much fun is to be had decapitating zombies by picking up and hurling random weapons.. also has a very cool combo/stamina system

but yeah not enough games have that sort of crazy character damage modelling!
                    That game is pretty cool. I downloaded the DEMO here: ftp://downloads.codemasters.com/demo/sev_demo.zip

Unfortunately the cutting off feature doesn't seem to be implented yet (in the demo!), and the controlling is a bit harder than UT2004 But that's quite what I thought about, you can pick up items from the ground and throw them around

Comment

http://thesoulkeeper.com/

Comment

the next morrowind will have a hit based sword fighting system.

Comment

I remember this one! I loved it.

This game was waaaay ahead of it's time. The comp that I played it one could barly handle it and it was very fast for it's time.

I remember that the sword handling was rather hard to get used to. You almost needed three hands to move/fight.

There is a realy fun part where you get shunken down to tiny sized (even your voice get squeeky ).

As for an Unreal ver of DbtS that would be very tricky. A lot of coding for shure. Do-able, but tricky.

Comment

Rune

Comment

I wonder if there are people interested in creating such a mod?

Comment

Working...
                              X