Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mouse discussion: PS/2 better than USB?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Try the mouse thester garcia_y_vega posted...

MX 510
    PS/2: 97Hz
    USB: 124Hz

... I atleast got one thing confirmed... the bloddy patches I downloaded does NOT work...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thanx for the info

Leave a comment:

• replied
    http://www.anandtech.com/talkarticle.aspx?i=1870

series:
    http://www.firingsquad.com/features/...sb/default.asp
    http://www.firingsquad.com/features/...-usb/page2.asp

atari:
    http://www.ina-community.com/forums/...ght=usb+vs+ps2

There is a slight difference, IF your using a modern PC.
    But it is almost negligible. Almost like comparing "z" rated tires on your car to non-rated tires. In real world applications you might not even notice much less miss the performance hit. But if you're one of those purists, eat your heart out. :up:

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by A-1
    Ive had my mx510 for about 6 months now.

Dont know about all of those stats but I prefer using the usb plug instead of the ps/2. It just feels more responsive.

Youre gonna need the logitech mouseware tweak/patch if youre gonna use the side and top buttons. Otherwise it wont let you use them in the game. (from what i remember)
    Nope, many many patches earlier fixed it. You can simply configure right out of the box.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I have mx700 connected to USB port. Working real fine.
    Btw as far as I can think, if there had been a known speed or precision difference between these ports, they would have expressed it on their product boxes or so, wouldnt they? I think that connector for ps2 port is just to increase the connectivity of the product to the PC and thats all.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    you can check your polling rate with this:

http://tscherwitschke.de/download/mouserate.zip

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by BooGiTyBoY
    Yeahbut can anyone answer my question?

Im going to be using an MX510 on windows xp pro with no twekas/patches. WHich would be better for this situation? Usb or ps/2?
    Ive had my mx510 for about 6 months now.

Dont know about all of those stats but I prefer using the usb plug instead of the ps/2. It just feels more responsive.

Youre gonna need the logitech mouseware tweak/patch if youre gonna use the side and top buttons. Otherwise it wont let you use them in the game. (from what i remember)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Yeahbut can anyone answer my question?

Im going to be using an MX510 on windows xp pro with no twekas/patches. WHich would be better for this situation? Usb or ps/2?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I believe the 200Hz maximum speed of the PS2 port is only on Win 95/98 and default is 40Hz. On Win NT/2k/XP it is 80Hz.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I tweaked it up to 1000Hz at once... if stuff gets unstable, I go down to 500Hz... but so far i played UT2004 for hours, and no problems at all! The CPU load gets at 2-4% when rapidly moving the mouse... so no problems there eighter!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    i didn't think id ever say this about the mx1000, odd looking think that it is.
    but i got one for xmas and after a lot of tweaking.
    cause the lazer is really responsive and a lot lighter than me old
    fav mx700. this thing is one sweet mudda. :up:

p.s. i use p/s2 cause i use a abit nf-7 mobo and they really dont like usb mices :weird:

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I got an Mx510 and it runs fine at 500hz..

not that I notice much difference :P

Leave a comment:

• replied
    If you are using an MX510 with windows XP pro... and you just want to run stock speeds... am I to assume ps/2 is better then?
    (Without using patches and stuff)

I got an mx510 for xmas as well and I was wondering which I should use. I like going over my buds and playing on his compy when we lan... I don't like tweaking too many of my settings as I play on his comp almost as much as my own. If I bring my mouse over there at least I want it to "feel" the same on his as on mine.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Some computers don't have a PS/2 port. These days, not having an USB port on a computer is likely to never happen.
    That's why I stick with the USB (I own a laptop, btw, that's why I don't have PS/2)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Princess_Frosty
    The mouse movement becomes smoother and the response time becomes quicker.

1/125 = 8 ms time delay
    1/250 = 4 ms time delay
    1/500 = 2 ms time delay
    1/1000 = 1 ms time delay

Not everyone can tell the difference, not everyone has a mouse accurate enough in the first place to make the difference even matter.

But for "hardcore" gamers who have invested lots of money in expensive mice and mousemats its worth it. If you're not a Harcore gamer or you cannot tell the difference then leave it as is, but that doesn't mean others wont benefit from it.
    I don't notice anything, therefore i'm not a hardcore gamer
    K thanks for that anyways, really informative.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X