Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mouse discussion: PS/2 better than USB?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mouse discussion: PS/2 better than USB?!

I read this intresting fact the other day:

Transulated from Hardware.no

Hertz, or number of points per second, is calculated by the USB uper limit of 125 packages per second. On older mouses this was actually better. The PS/2 connection could transfer 200 packages per second
    What does this mean?! Why does every "pro" users prase the USB mouses so high if the PS/2 connection is almost twise as smooth?!

BTW, I got a MX 510 for cristmas! I wonted to change it for a MX 1000, but after reading this article I realy changed my mind!
    What I wanted was many buttons, and wireless... but since the only more buttons the MX 1000 has was the mouseweel tilt, wich sounded enoying, I didnt mind.
    And when I look at the specs, the only thing MX 1000 was better at than the MX 700 was the "image progression" (or wth its called) wich was 5.8MPix compared to 4.7MPix... but the MX 510 had the same quality as MX 1000!
    So it all came down to wireless or not... untill I read about some sort of calibration lag that the new laser tecnology was supose to have... when you lifted the mouse from the surface, and put it back down it used 0.2 - 0.3 seconds to calibrate... or respond if you want. And that realy sounded like a problem for a fast paced gamer!
    No, screw laser tecnology... MX 510 > MX *

... lets not forget this is about USB and PS/2 and NOT MX 1000! :up:

I have my MX510 plugged into my USB port, which is running at 500Hz.

( )

Comment

Originally posted by CaTdAeMoN
      I have my MX510 pluged into my PS/2 port. use the adapter that comes with it

Comment

AFAIK.. you need a tweak to get your PS/2 to run at 200hz. So without that tweak it's not running as fast as that. Upping the PS/2 rate also puts a strain on the CPU.

Also, USB has a throughput of 12mbit, should suffice for more than 125 updates a second :P

Comment

MS IntelliEye USB, won't swap it for anything.

Comment

Thanks alot frosty! That is sure some usefull info!

Nice, that thread seems to have all you need! BTW, will I suffer anything from cranking my USB straight up to 1kHz?!

Comment

wow, holy ****. never realized that you could run some USB devices at 1khz. craziness. thanks for the info.

Comment

Mouse works, I can see it, it moves smoothly and has a cool red light that glows in the dark. Why up the Hz of it, I have no idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Princess_Frosty
                  The mouse movement becomes smoother and the response time becomes quicker.

1/125 = 8 ms time delay
                  1/250 = 4 ms time delay
                  1/500 = 2 ms time delay
                  1/1000 = 1 ms time delay

Not everyone can tell the difference, not everyone has a mouse accurate enough in the first place to make the difference even matter.

But for "hardcore" gamers who have invested lots of money in expensive mice and mousemats its worth it. If you're not a Harcore gamer or you cannot tell the difference then leave it as is, but that doesn't mean others wont benefit from it.
                  I don't notice anything, therefore i'm not a hardcore gamer
                  K thanks for that anyways, really informative.

Comment

Some computers don't have a PS/2 port. These days, not having an USB port on a computer is likely to never happen.
                    That's why I stick with the USB (I own a laptop, btw, that's why I don't have PS/2)

Comment

If you are using an MX510 with windows XP pro... and you just want to run stock speeds... am I to assume ps/2 is better then?
                      (Without using patches and stuff)

I got an mx510 for xmas as well and I was wondering which I should use. I like going over my buds and playing on his compy when we lan... I don't like tweaking too many of my settings as I play on his comp almost as much as my own. If I bring my mouse over there at least I want it to "feel" the same on his as on mine.

Comment

I got an Mx510 and it runs fine at 500hz..

not that I notice much difference :P

Comment

i didn't think id ever say this about the mx1000, odd looking think that it is.
                          but i got one for xmas and after a lot of tweaking.
                          cause the lazer is really responsive and a lot lighter than me old
                          fav mx700. this thing is one sweet mudda. :up:

p.s. i use p/s2 cause i use a abit nf-7 mobo and they really dont like usb mices :weird:

Comment

I tweaked it up to 1000Hz at once... if stuff gets unstable, I go down to 500Hz... but so far i played UT2004 for hours, and no problems at all! The CPU load gets at 2-4% when rapidly moving the mouse... so no problems there eighter!

Comment

I believe the 200Hz maximum speed of the PS2 port is only on Win 95/98 and default is 40Hz. On Win NT/2k/XP it is 80Hz.

Comment

Working...
                              X