Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help me please. Lost My UT and UT2004 folders. file recovery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eeep!!!
    if you dont overwrite anything on your disk, you might be able to recover a large portion of your files. There's some good free recovery apps out there.
    Eeep!!! is right, the files are still there, just the table that points to them is F'ed up. Try running Chkdsk first, then try Googling for some freeware recovery apps. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by ThePerfectCore
      You can try some file recovery apps... I use "Easy Recovery Pro" 8.somethingorother, but it wasn't free.

Loosing stuff really, really sucks, you have my sympathy. Keep backups next time!
      Weird, Mine was and I use v8 =P

Comment

If you have XP, you could try a system restore to a earlier date, you might be able to recover your files that way.

Comment

Originally posted by badger_fruit
          u can only restore what you have backed up.
          You sir, are incorrect. You can restore lost/deleted files by using a "File Scavenger" program.

Comment

thanks guys.
            in the end i used 'getdataback for ntfs'. it found about 400 out of 2000 mp3s several ut and ut2004 files and a few movies. the rest were too corrupted i guess. in the end i've got 1/4 of the files back... time to head over to nali city and start clicking a few 'download' buttons and wait for my dvd-rw drive and discs to arrive

:cry: remember to back up guys. it sucks.

Comment

Back up everything you've saved and reformat before you start stockpileing again.

Comment

hey, don't fret. when whenever your computer is formatted, no data is actually lost on the drive usually. i think it has to be formatted something like 28 times before the data is too corrupted to be recovered. although since you were defragmenting, some file smay be corrupted due to their being moved. but if you run some proffesional recovery tools (aka download the trial and then use your brain from there), then you should be able to recover more than 1/4 of the files

:::EDIT::: edited for content. say no to illegal prostitution.

Comment

..I wouldn't suggest illeagle activities, you can simply point him in the way of expensive software and let him figure it out himself.

Comment

dude... there was a software i used to recover ALL my files.... was file scavenger.... the catch was that i couldn't format my HDD.... if u already formatted it.. well.... i'd say 50% can be recoverable...

Comment

XP system restore is useless in this case. All system restore is, is just a "system snapshot" that includes windows files, and registry settings. Everything else is fair game.

Here is a perfect example why I no longer "defrag" my machines. I've seen more people get corrupt files from defragging regularly than bad sectors and HD failures combined. Also, if the power goes out during a defrag you will loose the data its defragging.

Ever since I quit defragging my machines, I havent magically "lost" any files. When I do a defrag, its right after a windows reinstall then I do it again after a full surface scan, then do a final defrag after everything is reinstalled. I only defrag when I know power interruptions wont be an issue.

You may also want to install UT onto a different drive so if windows chokes again you can avoid having to reinstall UT. However, you'll have to manually add the info back into the registry else when you try running the game you will get an error stating you need to reinstall. In that case, add the following contents into a .reg file and run it. Now you wont need to reinstall UT after a windows reload if UT is on a different drive. Also edit "folder" if necessary...

Code:
                      Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Unreal Technology]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Unreal Technology\Installed Apps]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Unreal Technology\Installed Apps\UT2004]
                      "Folder"="D:\\Games\\UT2004"
                      "Version"="3236"
                      "CDKey"="*****-*****-*****-*****"
                      "ADMIN_RIGHTS"="You need to run this program as an administrator, not as a guest or limited user account."
                      "NO_DISC"="No disc in drive.  Please insert the disc labelled Unreal Tournament 2004 Play Disc to continue."
                      "NO_DRIVE"="No CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive detected."
                      "TITLEBAR"="Unreal Tournament 2004"
                      "WRONG_DISC"="Wrong disc in drive.  Please insert the disc labelled Unreal Tournament 2004 Play Disc to continue."
                      "YEAR"="2004"
                      Anyway, glad you recovered most of your files. Its a tough lesson to learn but you become a more knowledgable computer user.

Good luck with your downloads.

Comment

Working...
                      X