Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help me please. Lost My UT and UT2004 folders. file recovery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me please. Lost My UT and UT2004 folders. file recovery?

hey guys hope someone can help me. it was a sad day yesterday, heres the story and i would be so totally be grateful if anyone has a way of helping me :cry: please. lost about 30-40gb of UT related stuff

left my computer defragmenting using diskeeper 8. left the C drive defragging and scheduled my other storage drive for about 4 hours later. woke up in the morning and there were a few error messages that i thought were nothing. came back from work in the afternoon and it started doing some recovery thing. panicked when i saw the word 'deleting' and restarted. canceled the disk checking. when windows started it said it couldn't access the drive.
    re-started and let it check saw it 'deleting orphan file blahdeblah' and also 'recovering blahdeblah.utx' .utx is an unreal tournament file type, so it must have known something was there. when windows started this time about 3/4 of my files were there BUT the 3 main folders i use: mp3's (10gb) movies mainly UT/03/04(30gb[20gb of UT ones]) and Unreal Tournament 99 & 2004 (15gb) were missing.
    these are the 3 main folders i have on my computer (apart from windows etc )
    Is there any way of recovering these folders. i guess something went wrong when de-fragging and they were maybe left messed up?
    when i try and open the shortcut it tries to find the link fails and comes up with a variety of errors. these are 2,
    this is the one for opening UT
    and
    this one is from a prog for makin movies on UT
    sorry this has been long but the more info the better i guess.
    many thanks to anyone who can help

u can only restore what you have backed up.

Comment

and file recovery programs won't work?

Comment

You can try some file recovery apps... I use "Easy Recovery Pro" 8.somethingorother, but it wasn't free.

Loosing stuff really, really sucks, you have my sympathy. Keep backups next time!

Comment

Yeah, it might seem like a loss now but i'm sure you'll have it all back in no time, has happend to me before ( not exactly the same process but same outcome ), next time just remember to save backups.

Comment

Originally posted by 0V3RC10CK3D
            Yeah, it might seem like a loss now but i'm sure you'll have it all back in no time
            meh i'm doubting it. mp3's were a heavy loss, many UT movies no longer to be found (badct Ut movies are no more) many maps that i had all played and knew well. how long is it gonna take to download 50gb heh heh. i'm sure it'll all work out.
            already been on ebuyer picking out a dvd drive and discs

if people still have ideas for a recovery please post!! i'm not doing anythin to that drive till i know for sure

Comment

I feel for you man! It really sucks losing stuff. I once lost all my Doom WADS that I had collected over the years, including Aliens Doom and Barney Doom plus about 500 more because I forgot to backup :-(

Comment

reinstalling is your much loved and time consuming friend! treat it with respect, or cyclic redundancy check errors will occur!

Comment

and in english please donut
                  i was gonna format my comp this xmas anyway. it could've let me back up for that first

Comment

i assure you that the above post was 100% english

idiot... :P

Comment

if you dont overwrite anything on your disk, you might be able to recover a large portion of your files. There's some good free recovery apps out there.

Comment

bummer, had it happen to me before, leaves you feeling kinda numb, problem was i lost me families stuff aswell . Depending on what type of files you're looking to get back I'd recommend:

FileRescuePlus
                        GetBackNTFS
                        Restorer 200 Pro

and for photos:

Digital Photo Recovery

that get back NTFS was very usefull once as I seem to remember becuase nothing was actually physically lost, the partition became corrupt and that fixed it and like magic all my files appeared again :up: . The reason I posted those ones was that they seemed to work for me and I have them backed up (lol) in a zipped file called 'recovery' just in case, but as said above there may be some other good ones out there now.

Comment

We're in the same **** man. My UT2K4 went bad so I tried reintstalling the game but my DVD doesn't work (even though it doesn't have ANY scratches and I kept it in like-new condition). Just going to download the whole game on Bittorent. I mean, I DID PAY FOR THE GAME!

Comment

You could try this http://www.iolo.com/sr/2/ .

Download the free 30 day trial, but the best advice right now is to not install anything on the affected drives.

Indy

Comment

Next time, create a ut2004 folder thats not on ur c drive.
                              Create all the ut2004 folders in there. maps, textures, sounds, music etc.
                              Whenever u download a map, copy the files away in to the appropriate folders.
                              So next time u reformat or lose ur c drive, just copy the files back.

UTCopy will assist u in this - see link below.

Comment

Working...
                              X