[OT] Speakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Crotale
    Yep, if you connect using the SPDIF (or whatever it's called) out to your home system, you will get the full digital surround. That's what I'm doing. I use the single digital out going over to my Yamaha Digital Receiver. From there, I have a 5.1 speaker setup that blows away any computer speaker setup. I have my subwoofer on the lowest setting because I have had neighbors asking me to turn it down due to pictures falling of the walls and knick-knacks dancing around on their shelves. I'm thinking it does pretty good considering I only have a few grand invested.
    PERFECT, can you tell me which system you have?? Thats what im looking for!!

Comment

Originally posted by Phear
      PERFECT, can you tell me which system you have?? Thats what im looking for!!
      The receiver is the key. Mine is a Yamaha digital receiver. It has digital coaxial and optical inputs. The front speakers are an older pair of Bose Direct Reflecting monitors. The surrounds are an older pair of JBL Controls. A huge Cambridge Soundworks Center Channel speaker rounds out the five channels. I use an Altec Lansing powered subwoofer for low-end effects.

You can buy a 5.1 or higher set of speakers for a reasonable price (about $1000 USD, maybe less). The receiver may cost anywhere from $250-1500 USD, depending upon your wallet and taste.

Make sure your soundcard has a digital output and has 24-bit sound. Good luck!

Comment

www.klipsch.com

Comment

Comment

Cool, the two retards are back.

Comment

They might be retards...... but they're my retards.

Comment

I just bought a Sony STR-De597 dolby 6.1 amp and am very happy with it -- $200 (6x100 watts) at best buy, speakers sold seperately. i also bought these 6 of these sony cheapo speakers that run $100 a pair.

The key with the receiver is that it is the cheapest price range receiver that I have found that has a wide array of inputs and outputs, including three digital inputs- Perfect for plugging in multiple PC's with digital RC jacks, digital optical jacks, and all the rest of your AV stuff. Obviously, at $200 it is not audiophile stuff. It also 'consolidates" several controls into a few controls, thus requiring multiple button presses to reach most controls like bass and treble, kinda a ***** to get first set up. However, it is probably far better than any system MADE for computers. And the best thing is that it is totaly expandable-- 6x100 watts, several dolby modes, and tons of inputs/outputs.

Comment

LOL, Dat_Monkey!

Comment

Originally posted by S3Y3N
                    had logitech Z-680's.........rocked

have logitech Z-5500's............rock even more.

I couldnt ask for more than that but if pure power that makes you deaf is your cup of tea then maybe go for the klipsh 700watt system mentioned earlier.
                    The Z-680's make some really nice "BOOM" with a shock-combo, the sound quality is top notch and playing GTA Vice City made my dad run up to my room to take a look at what is happening.
                    Class A Product.

Haven't tested the Z-5500 yet but I am pretty sure they kick a.., too.

About RMA:
                    Logitech is great. The Control-Pod of my Z-680 got damaged. I contacted Logitech and a few days later I had the replacement /without/ having to show them any shopping bill or whatsoever.
                    That's how I want customer service. Something is broken, they fix it without hassle. Top Quality.

Go for Logitech.
                    Didn't regret it for 1 second.

AndyX

Comment

Nice Bose system:
                      http://www.bose.com/controller;jsess...ming/index.jsp

Comment

Originally posted by maltliquor
                        Cool, the two retards are back.
                        I Concur.

Oh: Link! 410 Watts, close enough
                        (unless you can spend $50,000)

Comment

Oh please, bose, bose is nothing but marketing.

Here's what it says on their website:

"Tiny satellite speakers Lifelike, spacious sound for computer audio sources such as CDs, DVDs, Internet radio and gaming, as well as portable audio players. Easily mount them to your flat panel monitor for a speaker-free desktop."

Tiny satellite speakers don't produce good sound, easy as that.

Go for a real brand, either make your own 5.1 setup with a receiver and a good pair of speakers (will cost you at least 1500 $ or euro's) or otherwise get one of the top of the line computer speakers (logitech z5500, klipsch promedia ultra 5.1, gigaworks s770).

Comment

Noz, have you ever sat down to listen to a Bose surround system? Those tiny speakers put out all of the directional sound you need. The sub does all of the omnidirectional low-end effects.

I have a pair of Bose Direct Reflecting speakers. By themselves, they can fill a room with sound. By properly placing the speakers, I can make my living system sound as if the music is coming at you from all directions-with just TWO SPEAKERS!

Comment

the only problem with tinyt sat speakers is that they have really good treble, and the sub gives out good base, but the mid range is pretty ****

My first set of surround speakers were the Cambridge Soundworks DTT2200, they were only like 60 quid at the time but they sounded really good, I now have the Z-680 by Logitech tho and they sound a lot better

if money is no object, just get a Meridian Audio System that will set you back by around 20 grand

Comment

Originally posted by AndyX

About RMA:
                                Logitech is great. The Control-Pod of my Z-680 got damaged. I contacted Logitech and a few days later I had the replacement /without/ having to show them any shopping bill or whatsoever.
                                That's how I want customer service. Something is broken, they fix it without hassle. Top Quality.

Go for Logitech.
                                Didn't regret it for 1 second.

AndyX
                                Funny you got the same RMA as I did, all I had to do was explain the problem, give them a number from the bottom of the speakers and boom they sent me a brand new(non-refurbished) replacement....which in turn was sold and put towards the z5500.

Logitech + Customer Service = Loyal Customer

Comment

Working...
                                X