Radion 9800 upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Radion 9800 upgrade

{new_thread_prefill}Is it worth upgrading from a radion 9600 to a 9800 vote y/n

well depends on the price, but 9800's kick ***!!!

sidenote: i have a 9600xt

Comment

If you have vast amounts of disposable cash go for it, but nah, both same generation cards.

Comment

Get the nvidia 6600gt, it's in the same price bracket but will be more future proof than a 9800 and performs similar to/better than the 9800pro and 9800xt depending on game from the reviews I've seen.

Best bang/buck card to come out for a while

Comment

Yes it's worth it, I went from a 9600XT that overclocked to hell and back to a stock 9800 Pro and I could DEFINATELY see improvement, not a little...tons.

Comment

depends on your cpu too....

Comment

don't see the point atm. I've got an 9600 Pro (Tachyon :bulb: ) that I wouldn't mind replacing but certainly not with a 9800 of any sort. The market is absolute madness when it comes to video cards atm, and with the x850 being announced better cards are gonna become better priced so I'd hang on. If I bought one now I know I'd look back and regret it in a few months and I don't want that :sour:

EDIT: and as we are professional ppl can we please have the name of this thread changed (it's radeon)

Comment

Yes.

What would you want, a Ford Focus or a Porsche Boxer?

Why is this even up for debate?

Comment

Depends on what you want from it.

I use a plain vanilla 9600 with 256 mb ram and get 40 - 60 FPS at 1024x768 at holy sh*t settings when there's a lot of action on the screen. I'm perfectly fine with this. If this sounds good enough for you, keep your $ in your wallet.

If you're one of the guys that wants 1600x1200 @ 80 fps @ holy sh*t, get not a 9800 but a current-gen card that costs $500.

If you are positively dissappointed with your current in-game performance and want a cheap, cost-effective upgrade, the 9800 is a decent board to consider.

Here's what Tom has to say:

<Nope, Tom doesn't like remote linking .. >

Comment

Originally posted by Lert

Here's what Tom has to say:

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/gra...s/image007.gif
                    To not link images directly from his site?

Comment

Originally posted by senshu
                      To not link images directly from his site?
                      Hm. Good point.

Clicky !

Comment

6600gt best bang for the buck IMO ....

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...C-PRICEGRABBER

9800pro has a $20 rebate going on right now. That makes it ~$180 US. Take your pick.

Comment

is it just me or does anyone else not get why at the top of the tom's hardware charts it says "Unreal Tournament 20043 demo", now that is futuristic

Comment

Working...
                          X